khao yai

Inyourendo

I went to Sor beach in Sattahip yesterday to see a big red sign stating no foreigners. Talked to the guy manning the gate and he stated that is what his boss wanted. The beach is on Army/Navy land.

I would too if several large coaches of Chinese might turn up demanding admittance.

Looks like national parks are no longer an option for me.

Sounds to me like the start of what South Africa had...."aparthied" ....a racial seperation !!

Discrimination based on race/colour, dual pricing, limiting access, different rules, makes you kind of wonder what is coming next, how far they will push this and how extreme it may get ?

segregation and keeping the movements of "foreigners " restricted to allocated "tourist areas" ??

It is very much changing. A nearby attraction (Baan Suksawadee) used to be completely free, and is now 350 baht for foreigners, 100 for Thais. They will not accept a Thai driving licence for a foreigner to get the local's price. The Chinese may well pay more as they come in a package including a buffet meal, large numbers of them. This is deterring even the locals.

I am expecting the 'free for all' which occurs one day each year at 'The Sanctuary of Truth' to have similar discrimination this coming September.

Edited by jacko45k

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got even today .... snuck into the park on bikes via a secret back way .... coasted down the hill and out the exit gate as they looked on ... discrete middle finger this time

pathetic

What's truly pathetic is that those who think we are just stingy are so happy to be taken for fools and ripped off at every opportunity.

I got even today .... snuck into the park on bikes via a secret back way .... coasted down the hill and out the exit gate as they looked on ... discrete middle finger this time

pathetic

Yes I know they are, thanks for agreeing

Congratulations - two childish Posts in a row - how old are you for heavens sake? 10?

Patrick

That man has been working there forever!

Then he probably remembers me from 3 years ago when I gave them all the finger back then too.....

Think Patrick will be along shortly for another scolding..

Why do you take your anger out on park employees? They have nothing to do with setting ticket prices. If you don't like the price or can't afford it then go elsewhere. Sounds like you need to grow up.

My wife wanted to go to Khao Yai National Park on our way to Korat last week. I too had to pay the farang price of 405 baht. We just drove through the park, stopping off at the visitor centre. Definitely not worth the 405 baht entrance fee - won't be back.

I did get in for the Thai price at the Ban Chiang Heritage Centre near Udon Thani though.

Alan

'Khao Yai is a bit of a ghost town, so many empty condos ... so many empty shops .... resorts empty too.'

Combine this with another post about so many stores being empty and things look very, very grim for Thailand.

"What goes around, comes around."

Fortunately i saw most of the best places many years ago when the double pricing wasn't enforced. If they tried my "at the time Thai Wife" tore them a new <deleted>. Pretty funny to see a grown man cringing to a 5'1" little Thai Lion.

For me the money is not the object. It's the principle. And I don't like being told what to do anyway. We forget the guys at the gates are poor and coming from "a place of scarcity."

While the government, like all governments, is greedy and exploitive.

Right now I like Thais, love Thailand can't think of a better place to be except maybe home in San Diego. Way more fun here though. The only thing anyone tells be to do here is keep my retirement visa in order. Period.