Eating: high fat, near zero carb, grain free, mostly “paleo”

PT4

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it seems that many people who need a "diet" are those who in fat have spent most of their lives eating crap.

Changing what you eat will have little or no effect on a short term basis and there is no such thing as a "wonderful or secret ingredient.

the damage has already been done by a lifetime of poor eating.

look at what you think is "normal" - it probably isn't and then start eating a BALANCED diet...eventually you'll feel better.

there is a great way of eating well...it's called cooking......my guess is that many people who go on fad diets actually don't cook and rely on processed foods for their main source of nutrition........

There are a lot of people out there making a lot of money not by selling food or running restaurants, but by telling people NOT to eat.....it's amazing what people will pay for.

Next Time i'm in Pattaya I'll put on a white coat, get hold of a clip board...i should make a fortune!!!

[PS - I am already a fully qualified nutritionist.]

Edited by cumgranosalum

HFCS - high fructose corn syrup. It also called Corn Sugar.

Almost all boxed foods contain HFCS including:

1. Yogurts
  2. Breads
  3. Frozen pizzas
  4. Cereal bars
  5. Cocktail peanuts
  6. Boxed macaroni and cheese
  7. Salad Dressing
  8. Tonic
  9. Applesauce
  10. Canned Fruit

...and in most countries Coke and any other sodas.

Read the labels it's in everthing these days - biscuits, you name it, it's there.

Exactly...and if this paleo diet were so good for you anyway, why did cavemen have a life expectancy of about 28 ?

They were regularly eaten by sabre toothed lions, who incidentally, were also following the Paleo Diet.

Edited by JHolmesJr

Exactly...and if this paleo diet were so good for you anyway, why did cavemen have a life expectancy of about 28 ?

They were regularly eaten by sabre toothed lions, who incidentally, were also following the Paleo Diet.

OK - the facile comments section is filling up

I have been following this thread and i actually started this kind of diet about ten days ago.

The name is Paleo diet but did i really think this was what our ancestors ate?I think they ate whatever they could get a hold of and it was either feast or famine.

Finally this article really explains what it is all about,the writer is not pro Paleo at all and he thinks of all kinds of reasons why it is wrong.

He did in the end touch the reason why i am doing this diet,it is not what they tell me i should eat but what i should not eat!!!

Now i do not eat anything with added sugar,try to stay away from anything from a package,no more instant foods!

If i can not see what is in it i do not eat it.

Guess what?I can deal a lot better with the heat over here already and i have a lot more energy,i do not really need to lose weight but a few kilos

will not hurt.

I have been following this thread and i actually started this kind of diet about ten days ago.

The name is Paleo diet but did i really think this was what our ancestors ate?I think they ate whatever they could get a hold of and it was either feast or famine.

Finally this article really explains what it is all about,the writer is not pro Paleo at all and he thinks of all kinds of reasons why it is wrong.

He did in the end touch the reason why i am doing this diet,it is not what they tell me i should eat but what i should not eat!!!

Now i do not eat anything with added sugar,try to stay away from anything from a package,no more instant foods!

If i can not see what is in it i do not eat it.

Guess what?I can deal a lot better with the heat over here already and i have a lot more energy,i do not really need to lose weight but a few kilos

will not hurt.

"Now i do not eat anything with added sugar," - I wonder how you do that....are you looking for HFCS?

HFCS - high fructose corn syrup. It also called Corn Sugar.

Almost all boxed foods contain HFCS including:

1. Yogurts
  2. Breads
  3. Frozen pizzas
  4. Cereal bars
  5. Cocktail peanuts
  6. Boxed macaroni and cheese
  7. Salad Dressing
  8. Tonic
  9. Applesauce
  10. Canned Fruit

in countries like the USA - the list of things it is NOT in would be the shorter

Edited by cumgranosalum

I have just been watching the BBC Series History of Ancient Britain, with Neil Oliver.

The earliest stone-age inhabitants of Britain were from the Mesolithic period i.e middle stone-age. They were nomadic hunters, living close to coastal areas and hunting in the extensive woodlands that blanketed Britain. So their diet was mainly meat and fish with some woodland produce (nuts, fruit, plants, roots etc).

The later stone-age inhabitants were from the Neolithic period i.e.new stone-age. These people had cereal grain to grow (from Europe) and domesticated animals. So now no need for them to hunt and forage, they could build permanent communities and support larger families.

But interestingly studying the skeletal remains of these people indicates that the earlier Mesolithic stone-age inhabitants had better health than later Neolithic people.

So which palaeo diet was the best?

Basically anyone who thinks adding "miracle foods" to their diet or changing to some lopsided no fat, no protein no sugar no veg no meat no chewing gum no roughage diet, is kidding themselves - if they have eaten a bd diet for most of their lives they will have done the damage - all you can do now is eat PROPERLY - a balanced diet - and hope that your body forgives you.....if you smoke and drink then "som nam naa" as they say.

• 1 year later...
On 4/28/2016 at 9:22 PM, tonray said:

No but FoodLand has some great Nori and Cheese flavored potato sticks that are the bomb !

Wow, I think this is the funniest post I have seen on ThaiVisa. Can we try to all upvote this post so that he can win the nobel price for lolness? WOW

On 4/28/2016 at 5:44 PM, cumgranosalum said:

Basically anyone who thinks adding "miracle foods" to their diet or changing to some lopsided no fat, no protein no sugar no veg no meat no chewing gum no roughage diet, is kidding themselves - if they have eaten a bd diet for most of their lives they will have done the damage - all you can do now is eat PROPERLY - a balanced diet - and hope that your body forgives you.....if you smoke and drink then "som nam naa" as they say.

I'm obese! I keep trying to control my eating, to only relapse again and again like a drug addict. So I'm not a normal healthy person. I know that. But I want to lose weight. I want to become a healthy person. Is it that I lack discipline? Sure. Is it genetic? Who knows? Do I have a weak will? Probably? Or is it the cravings for eating too much are too strong? Who knows? Either way, If I don't try something new I'm doomed! Definition of insanity: try the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.

I'm trying a keto diet now. Basically it's very low in sugar. 

I'm only in day 4 now, but so far I can tell you I'm not eating nearly as much as I ate before. Yet I feel full all the time. 

It could ofcourse be placebo, I know how strong the placebo effect is, and everyone that praises Keto is telling me "you will feel full all the time" so it only makes sense that I would be tricking myself.

When I tried to eat balanced diet and control my intake, meaning, count calories and stuff. I would feel hungry all the time. Constantly craving food. At most it took a few weeks until I would relapse. Am I weak for not being able to fight off cravings for weeks? Maybe. Maybe not. God knows.

Why does Keto work? Don't know. Maybe it has to do with the fact that refined sugar is getting cut out almost completely if you do a low carb / keto diet. And there's many many studies about how refined sugar is really bad for many people.

As for damage already been done, yes, sure. One study said that people that eat tons of refined sugar had biomarkers that indicate aging that showed them to be "10 years older" than the normal subjects. But, one can't change the past. One can only look forward. 
As for balanced diet, yes, I'm sure this will work. But it requires a level of discipline that I (and many others) struggles with. This keto diet seems much easier. It's almost like cheating. I can eat how much I want, as long as there's no carbs and there's high fat (easy!). Ofcourse, If I eat too much, I will still gain weight.

But, when I eat keto, I'm full quickly! I'm full before I have eaten too much! And I'm full for a long time... Placebo or not. Works for me :D

If you are a healthy person eating a healthy balanced diet. Please continue doing so! But you might want to try to cut out refined sugars specifically at least for a period of time and see how you feel. Maybe you can feel even better!

Ofcourse on a real low carb / keto diet not only refined sugars are cut, but most of all sugars.

Edited by hobz

On 4/28/2016 at 4:58 PM, borborygmus said:

Anyone know where to get ketostix in Thailand?

You can order from lazada: https://www.lazada.co.th/fitter-ketone-test-ketogenic-hcg-burning-ketosis-15-125-65554694.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.bed9972a6QSyn

It's a bit expensive, 1006THB for 125 sticks. And it's a different brand. But it has good reviews on amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-Fitter-Fabulous-Ketogenic-Accurately/dp/B01J9LOP4M/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515251657&sr=8-1&keywords=fitter+ketone

The good thing about lazada is that you don't have to worry about hidden costs and shipping fees and duty and vat. Plus you pay when they deliver to your door. 

If you live in Chiang mai we could split a pack? 500THB each?

17 hours ago, hobz said:

You can order from lazada: https://www.lazada.co.th/fitter-ketone-test-ketogenic-hcg-burning-ketosis-15-125-65554694.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.bed9972a6QSyn

It's a bit expensive, 1006THB for 125 sticks. And it's a different brand. But it has good reviews on amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-Fitter-Fabulous-Ketogenic-Accurately/dp/B01J9LOP4M/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515251657&sr=8-1&keywords=fitter+ketone

The good thing about lazada is that you don't have to worry about hidden costs and shipping fees and duty and vat. Plus you pay when they deliver to your door. 

If you live in Chiang mai we could split a pack? 500THB each?

I bought those. Took quite a while to arrive.
As a more expensive, but perhaps more useful and longer lasting alternative: https://bestketonetest.com/

DNP fatburner pills comes at roughly the same cost, adds more discomfort over short term,

but 1 day on DNP = 0.5 kg fat loss, not just loss, but pure fat loss,

i prefer it over a very tedious diet such as, well, any diet aimed at weight loss