MOPH prepares for aged Thai society in 20 years

webfact

MOPH prepares for aged society in 20 years

BANGKOK, 14 April 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has prepared to accommodate Thailand becoming an aged society in the next 20 years.

Deputy Permanent Secretary for Public Health Dr. Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoen, speaking on the “Thailand Moves Forward” program, stated that Thailand currently has 10 million citizens considered elderly, making up 15 percent of the population. Senior citizens are projected to make up 20 percent of the nation in 20 years, necessitating that the Ministry of Public Health begin working to accommodate the situation.

The government plans to test elderly citizens to categorize them into 2 groups; those who can no longer physically help themselves and those that can still contribute to society. Those deemed fit to continue working will be entered into social programs where they can use their skills and knowledge to help the nation’s communities.

The ministry today marked National Senior Citizens day with a Songkran activity that used technologies such as Facebook, Line and Skype to connect elderly with their families. The ministry also organized provincial activities at facilities such as hospitals and senior centers, allowing the elderly to help their fellow retirees.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-14 footer_n.gif

I agree that this country and many others have to prepare for an elderly society but I can't see exactly how they are going to do that here. As many know the children often get the pleasure or get lumbered which ever way you look at it with caring for their parents or grand parents. Is the state going to do anything? It would need a lot of money and I would be intrigued to hear where that will come from.

The demographic projections are deeply troubling: Thailand second only to Japan , in Asia, is respect of ageing. Low population growth, modest and declining growth, no social security to speak of, ongoing political uncertainty and consequent low foreign investment going forward, serious competition from neighbours , extremely low lovel of English language competence....and yet an unquestioning belief that it will be "alright on the night"

I agree that this country and many others have to prepare for an elderly society but I can't see exactly how they are going to do that here. As many know the children often get the pleasure or get lumbered which ever way you look at it with caring for their parents or grand parents. Is the state going to do anything? It would need a lot of money and I would be intrigued to hear where that will come from.

As many know the country is made up of more entrepreneurs than anything. Most don't pay taxes already and probably never will. Even the measly 800 baht a month old people get now must be hurting the countries finances. I would have to agree with you. It will be interesting to see where they come up with finances to compensate in the next 20 years.

Doh....'The Thailand moves forward program' ? I guess that us due to start in about another 100 years time then?

And while we are talking about old people; the country is being run by a bunch of haggard old men right now with all their idea's for the 'future' deeply rooted in the Nationalistic past and with a leader who's views mirror those of a Communist Chinese leader. What chance anything is going to change much for the better for future generations?

MOPH certainly gets about , the other week it was rail crossing protection , the other day road safety something or other , now the aged , the department of Social Services and Veteran affairs or something similar , should be looking at this number , but that hasn't been formed yet, perhaps the Defence Secretary would like to look at this small problem when the new government is in place...........................................................coffee1.gif

The demographic projections are deeply troubling: Thailand second only to Japan , in Asia, is respect of ageing. Low population growth, modest and declining growth, no social security to speak of, ongoing political uncertainty and consequent low foreign investment going forward, serious competition from neighbours , extremely low lovel of English language competence....and yet an unquestioning belief that it will be "alright on the night"

Troubling is the key word here Prbkk, also applies to the water situation.