Governor concerned about failure to arrest Phuket speed demons

snoop1130

Governor concerned about failure to arrest Phuket speed demons
Kongleaphy Keam

post-249866-0-46913800-1460633553_thumb.

PHUKET: -- With zero arrests made in Phuket for speeding violations by day three of the 'Seven Days of Danger' road-safety campaign, the Phuket Governor has demanded that officers step up their attempts to catch speed demons in the act.

“Zero arrests for speeding is good, if that means nobody is speeding. However, I am not confident that this is the case,” said Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada.

In order for officers to catch people speeding, more help is needed from highway police officers with speed cameras, as some of Phuket’s cameras are broken, explained Sirisak Skoonsorutcha, chief of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) Phuket Office.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Governor-concerned-failure-arrest-Phuket-speed-demons/63688?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-14

Is there a single working radar trap on the island? I'm not aware of any and I've never heard of anyone being fined for speeding. The only one I know of is the one on Bypass road and clearly doesn't do anything or it would result in 99% of motorists being fined as the limit is 50km/h according to signs... ahum :)

LivingInKata: I have seen Highway Patrol cars sometimes near the airport but they don't go into Phuket proper it seems.

Is there a single working radar trap on the island? I'm not aware of any and I've never heard of anyone being fined for speeding. The only one I know of is the one on Bypass road and clearly doesn't do anything or it would result in 99% of motorists being fined as the limit is 50km/h according to signs... ahum :)

LivingInKata: I have seen Highway Patrol cars sometimes near the airport but they don't go into Phuket proper it seems.

Speed limit on Bypass is 90. Signs are only for show.

Speed cam on Bypass start to work at 120.

How are the police going to stop speeders? They don't have the vehicles or training. There is no highway patrol. Moving violations are never enforced. Speeders don't have to give the BIB the slip. They're not out there. So much for the Gov's concern.

What the BIB need are a fleet of fast motorcycles if they want give out tickets. Then there is the issue of how to collect on a ticket. No one pays them. Driving without a license isn't a big problem.

There are levels to the horrible driving problem here in LOS.

I see no changes coming in the worst place to drive, in the worst country to drive anytime in the future.

....hold that pose.....

...you are on an island.....

...too difficult to determine who the culprits are......

...you know....the ones with money.....money enough to purchase those types of vehicles......

...say no more....

How are the police going to stop speeders? They don't have the vehicles or training. There is no highway patrol. Moving violations are never enforced. Speeders don't have to give the BIB the slip. They're not out there. So much for the Gov's concern.

What the BIB need are a fleet of fast motorcycles if they want give out tickets. Then there is the issue of how to collect on a ticket. No one pays them. Driving without a license isn't a big problem.

I see no changes coming in the worst place to drive, in the worst country to drive anytime in the future.

I agree that I see many m/bike drivers just don't stop at police check points and the BiB are too lazy to do anything about it.

BUT today I was heartened to witness the BiB on a 250CC bike making chase to a farang who burst through the Karon check point and blocked him in further up the road.

Boy, he was having a hard time. BiB went through every nook and cranny of his bike and his papers and pockets.

Edited by LivinginKata

I think you have that backwards. LOS is the best place in the world to drive.

Imagine owning a Supercar or a Superbike in any western country. You could get arrested for winding it up in second gear.

LOS is one of the few remaining countries in the world where we don't have to put up with radar cameras every 500 meters, or patrol cars roaming the streets. You can drive any way you want to without big brother telling you what to (and not) do.

The majority of Thai drivers are very good, and things flow quite well. Putting a few slow moving, less than confident farangs into the stream of traffic often causes chaos, and sometimes confuses the Thai drivers.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Wrong. What you really don't want is cops giving chase. This will result in mayhem.

Just apply the law re showing number plates (immediately impound bikes with no number plates), apply the helmet rules (immediately impound bikes where the rider has no helmet - including passengers with no helmets), and then after that get lots of cameras that work and use them often.

All that is a big ask, but if you haven't got the will to do it, then stop bleating about it!

"How are the police going to stop speeders?" - this is how. :)

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Police-shoot-drug-dealer8217s-tyres-highspeed-chase/48388#ad-image-0

So NKM , you are advocating that the BiB shoot out tyres of the speedsters. for speeding .... get real ... you do know the the BiB have to pay for their own bullets (and guns) ...

So NKM , you are advocating that the BiB shoot out tyres of the speedsters. for speeding .... get real ... you do know the the BiB have to pay for their own bullets (and guns) ...

Of course I am not advocating the BiB shoot out tyres.

I would rather having speeding cars around than speeding bullets. :)

The question was asked, "How was the police going to stop speeders" and I quoted a case of how they dealt with one speeder in the past.

Is there a single working radar trap on the island? I'm not aware of any and I've never heard of anyone being fined for speeding. The only one I know of is the one on Bypass road and clearly doesn't do anything or it would result in 99% of motorists being fined as the limit is 50km/h according to signs... ahum smile.png

Speed limit on Bypass is 90. Signs are only for show.

Speed cam on Bypass start to work at 120.

I know that the signs mean nothing. And I can guarantee you that the cam on bypass road doesn't start to work at 120 or maybe they just ignore the pictures it takes? No idea, but it's clear to me that you don't get fined if you go over 120km/h there or have you heard of anyone that did?