Entering Thailand on an expired Thai Passport

Hi Guys

The wife will be taking our 2 children (2 & 5) to visit her mother for 7 weeks leaving in early July, both the children have Thai and UK passports.

Unfortunately the five year olds passport will expire this month.

Now we have an appointment at the Thai embassy next week to apply for a new one and we will be comfortably inside the 8 weeks they quote for processing, but I was wondering if it would not be easier to apply for the new one whilst she is in Thailand.

I have often read on here that you will be allowed to enter a country on an expired passport if your expired passport proves you are a national of that country and the five year olds UK passport is up to date so no problem getting on the plane.

Can anyone see a problem with this, I will not be travelling out with them as I have to stay home for work reasons sad.png ,when we applied for his first passport in London they did insist both parents were present?

Obviously she could always get an extension in his UK passport, or do a visa run being close to the Cambodia border.

A thread last December seems to confirm that the child should not have a problem.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/879580-child-returning-to-thailand-with-expired-passport/

You might need a notarized consent letter from the missing parent for the Thai passport. Not sure if this applies to renewals.

- Both parents can accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport and sign the parental consent form.
or
- One parent must accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport. The other parent can appear and sign the parental consent form when he/she picks-up the e-Passport.
or
- One parent must accompany the child, signs the parental consent form, and submits a notarized consent letter of the non-appearing parent.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

Your wife will need you or some motorized translated document from you saying it's OK for the child to be issued a passport. Normally, both parents have to front up at the passport office for them to issue a passport to the kids

Your wife will need you or some motorized translated document from you saying it's OK for the child to be issued a passport. Normally, both parents have to front up at the passport office for them to issue a passport to the kids

A thread last December seems to confirm that the child should not have a problem.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/879580-child-returning-to-thailand-with-expired-passport/

You might need a notarized consent letter from the missing parent for the Thai passport. Not sure if this applies to renewals.

- Both parents can accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport and sign the parental consent form.

or

- One parent must accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport. The other parent can appear and sign the parental consent form when he/she picks-up the e-Passport.

or

- One parent must accompany the child, signs the parental consent form, and submits a notarized consent letter of the non-appearing parent.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

Cheers can't get the second link to work at the moment but I think the problem is this end will try again latter with another computer.

I was going to ask what a motorized translated document was, then realised notarised was the intended adjective. cheesy.gif

Dual British/Thai nationals should avoid entering Thailand on a passport that will expire there. The risks of not being able to renew the passport are too great.

Why would they not be able to renew an expired Thai passport in Thailand?

Dual British/Thai nationals should avoid entering Thailand on a passport that will expire there. The risks of not being able to renew the passport are too great.

Why would they not be able to renew an expired Thai passport in Thailand?

Problems that immediately occur to me are:

• For children, a parent or substitute may be missing
  • Birth certificate may not be in Thailand
  • No Thai ID card
That's on top of the occasional problem of extortion by officials.

If you dont get the passport in the UK in time the child will be able to travel on the UK passport. As for the child overstaying on the UK passport I dont believe anything has changed and children under the age of 12 maybe 14 cant recall will not be charged overstay fines. My friend was living in Thailand with his two kids from the US. When he left Thailand the two kids were 3 year overstay and he didn't have to pay any fines and there was no issue.

Other choice is get a METV for the child.

Yes, you can enter thailand on an expired thai passport.

To renew the passport in Thailand, there are a couple of important things to remember.

- both parents need to be physically present at the time of passport application

- the child needs to be registerd on a Thai tabieen baan.