Five days of Songkran celebrations claim 338 deaths, 2,891 injuries

rooster59

Five days of Songkran celebrations claim 338 deaths, 2,891 injuries

BANGKOK: Fatal road accidents during the Songkran festival celebrations nationwide have now claimed the lives of 338 people and injured 2,891 others in the five-day period from April 11-15.

Only yesterday alone, 79 people died and 513 others injured in a total of 508 accidents.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159725

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-16

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done to the government for its successful road safety campaign.

Yup, business as usual, a few crackdowns here and a few shirtless men and perverts arrested, greater success than handling critical accidents.................. mission complete, continue the brainwashing procedures on Monday......

These are the statistics from each day this year, 2016, with the previous year in brackets:

Day 1: 52 deaths (25) and 431 injuries (348) in 387 reported accidents (324)
Day 2: 64 deaths (34) and 550 injured (417) in 520 reported accidents (399)
Day 3: 65 deaths (62) and 796 injured (516) in 754 reported accidents (492)
Day 4: 78 deaths (70) and 601 injured (527) in 555 reported accidents (520)
Day 5: 79 deaths (60) and 513 injured (724) in 508 reported accidents (671)

The total number of deaths for the first FIVE days is 338 (251)

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/04/full-road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-2016/

They could do something to change this and save thousands of lives, they just can't be bothered though

Pretty much what I just wrote in yesterday's tread, albeit in far fewer words! facepalm.gif

That is the biggest tragedy: the overwhelming majority of these deaths could be avoided if the government really wanted to.

They could do something to change this and save thousands of lives, they just can't be bothered though

Pretty much what I just wrote in yesterday's tread, albeit in far fewer words! facepalm.gif

That is the biggest tragedy: the overwhelming majority of these deaths could be avoided if the government really wanted to.

Governments can only do so much.

Sometimes people have to take responsibility for their own actions, and the overwhelming majority of these deaths could be avoided if the people really wanted to and applied some common sense to their own lives. They see the carnage as much as the rest of us but don't seem to understand or want to understand the consequences.

Educate the children, so they can begin using their brains. In fact, has been the governments fault for many, many years I would think! They must at least set some kind of a framework..... Thailand, I'm sure you can do better!!

Sometimes people have to take responsibility for their own actions, and the overwhelming majority of these deaths could be avoided if the people really wanted to and applied some common sense to their own lives. They see the carnage as much as the rest of us but don't seem to understand or want to understand the consequences.

Yea, it's called a proper education. All governments before and present are responsible for this. Thailand has a unique culture where the rich and powerful can have their cake and eat it. They don't actually care how many people die. You need empathy for that.

I always think these figures are a bit disingenuous since you don't get to compare them with the statistics from an ordinary day or what the national average is per day. Set against these statics rather than as stand alone ones you would get a better idea of the situation. Then again....many more cars making longer journeys than usual so an increase is to be expected.

I both agree and disagree. I'm all for the 'take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection take its course' approach to certain things, but when the consequences are quite often the death or injury of an innocent person, it's not a very acceptable road safety strategy.

Experience suggests that an adequately funded lead agency and a national plan or strategy with measureable targets are crucial components of a sustainable response to road safety. This approach means shifting a major share of the responsibility from road users to those who design the road transport system - primarily road managers, the automotive industry, police, politicians and legislative bodies. However, there are many other players who also have responsibility for road safety, such as health services, the judicial system, schools, and nongovernment organizations. The individual road users have the responsibility to use common sense and abide by laws and regulations.

Effective strategies include incorporating road safety features into land-use, urban planning and transport planning; designing safer roads and requiring independent road safety audits for new construction projects; improving the safety features of vehicles; promoting public transport; effective speed management by police enforcement and through the use of traffic-calming measures; setting and enforcing internationally harmonized laws requiring the use of seat-belts, helmets and child restraints; setting and enforcing blood alcohol concentration limits for drivers; establishment of Graduated Driver Licensing systems for novice drivers; and improving post-crash care for victims of road crashes.

Public awareness campaigns would also play an important role in supporting the enforcement of legislative measures, by increasing awareness of risks, influencing attitudes and opinions on the need for road traffic safety programmes, and of the penalties associated with breaking the law.

It's not rocket science. Since 1970, Australia has doubled its population, had a tenfold increase in the number of vehicles on the roads, yet cut its road toll by more than 60%. It can be done, it just needs political will.

Edit: typo

Edited by jamesbrock

This is normal for Thailand. If they counted all road related deaths everyday the figures would be the same

True. But unlike other countries, Thailand doesn't slack off during holidays.

We're #1, We're #1, We're #1

Edited by jaltsc

So about one death per province per day.

I am surprised it isn't more. A lot of people on the roads, a lot of traffic, a lot of ambitious overtaking maneuvers, a lot of kids and adults playing with water by the side of the road, a lot of people crowded into pickups, a lot of people riding motorbikes in the wet, getting sprayed and stopped for happy new year greetings (face wiped with powder)

Yesterday afternoon and evening they had a concert in the main intersection of Mahasarakam (clock tower roundabout). They didn't bother closing the road. NOBODY was wearing helmets. Sometimes four on a bike, people darting around everywhere. People jumping on and off pickups to wish others a happy new year. It sounds a bit irresponsible, but I didn't come across any injuries and the atmosphere was really good.

So some people die, and that is terrible, but millions have the best day of their year. Considering how dangerous it appears to western eyes, they do pull it off with surprisingly few deaths. Maybe Buddha is looking after them.

Living in Pattaya I am used to girls half my age and weight sexually assaulting me in the street. But yesterday the girls of Mahasarakam took it to a new level. I think it will be a day that I will never forget. Thank you Thailand for so much.

On a positive note, i just completed a 13 hour drive from well into the back and beyond in the NE and did not see one accident. Saw a few ambulances and rescue crews racing by the other way, but not one south bound accident, not even a little ding into someones behind in the slow moving traffic, which is fairly easy done after hours of driving.

338 died, 2,891 injured in five day Songkran travels from April 11-15

post-247607-0-46543800-1460814341_thumb.

BANGKOK: Fatal road accidents during the Songkran festival celebrations nationwide have now claimed the lives of 338 people and injured 2,891 others in the five-day period from April 11-15, the Department of Public Disasters Prevention and Mitigation said today.

It said yesterday alone, a total of 79 people died and 513 others injured in 508 cases of accidents.

Mrs Chaweerat Kasetsunthorn, assistant to the Minister of Culture, said from April 11-15, a total of 2,724 road mishaps were recorded with 338 fatalities, and 2,891 injuries.

Only on April 15, 79 people died and 513 were injured in a total of 508 accidents, she said.

Drunk driving was blamed as the cause of most accidents or 33.86%, followed by speeding 30.31%.

Chiang Mai has the highest cases of 136 road accidents and injuries of 144 people in the five day period, while Bangkok has the highest death toll of 15 people.

Eight provinces where there were no road fatalities are Trat, Pattani, Phatthalung, Yala, Ranong, Samut Sakhon and Nong Bua Lampoo.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159738

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-16

Did a trip by car yesterday daytime from Bangkok on highway #4 and 41 to the south. Haven't seen a single car crushed in the middle trench, nor one ambulance on the 670km.

That was unusual!

Not one active police check either.

In the afternoon I saw some BiB prepare for speed checks [emoji28], so no ticket this time.

Beside watching out for the black fortuners, traffic was light and it was actually a very smooth 6 1/2 hour ride this time.

Cheers

So about one death per province per day.

I am surprised it isn't more. A lot of people on the roads, a lot of traffic, a lot of ambitious overtaking maneuvers, a lot of kids and adults playing with water by the side of the road, a lot of people crowded into pickups, a lot of people riding motorbikes in the wet, getting sprayed and stopped for happy new year greetings (face wiped with powder)

Yesterday afternoon and evening they had a concert in the main intersection of Mahasarakam (clock tower roundabout). They didn't bother closing the road. NOBODY was wearing helmets. Sometimes four on a bike, people darting around everywhere. People jumping on and off pickups to wish others a happy new year. It sounds a bit irresponsible, but I didn't come across any injuries and the atmosphere was really good.

So some people die, and that is terrible, but millions have the best day of their year. Considering how dangerous it appears to western eyes, they do pull it off with surprisingly few deaths. Maybe Buddha is looking after them.

Living in Pattaya I am used to girls half my age and weight sexually assaulting me in the street. But yesterday the girls of Mahasarakam took it to a new level. I think it will be a day that I will never forget. Thank you Thailand for so much.

I am going to contradict you. Thailand is officially ranked as No. 2 in the world when it comes to road fatalities in the world. So when you are talking about Buddha taking care of them is a pure gibberish! Whatever you stated about the lack of safety, it dearly costs them even if you don't see it. Even if someone is killed nearby your neighbourhood on the road, you might not know it... But it happens.

A few months ago near my village a horrific accident happened that took 6 lives. Believe it or not, very few who knew afterwards. When I was mentioning this accident to my Thai fellows, they had no idea even after a a couple of days. This shows Thais don't care what is happening around them and live in their narrow world.

If you take road deaths per 100k people indeed Thailand is in 2nd place.

If you take road deaths per 100k vehicles then Thailand is a long way down the list with about 75 deaths per 100k vehicles

Guinea has about 9,500 deaths per 100k vehicles per year

Thailand averages 25k road deaths a year, India has almost 240k

Just a bit of perspective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

The roadside revellers with the

Hosepipe and buckets get more aggressive each year. I don't get it, what they hope to achieve blasting

People on motorbikes especially. Many backpacker type farang keenoks are now worse than Thais for this oblivious malicious stupidity.