When is an expat not an expat?

Inspire

When is an expat not an expat?

expats-thailand.jpg

Raising its rather tedious head this week was the perennial debate about the word ‘farang’ with its connotations that seem to divide one and all; writes Inspire writer Gerry Carter

Seeing this debate as one that invariably interests relative newcomers to Thailand I pretty much ignored it thinking that I have been pigeon-holed for most of my adult life in one way or another especially by people who do not know me. It is all water off a duck’s back I thought, I really couldn’t care less what anyone calls me. Foreigner, white honky, pom….

Then someone called me an expat.

Firstly I thought, right…I’ll write to them, put them straight, I’m not having that. Then I thought again…oh my goodness, perhaps I am one…..

Now, I have been in Thailand for a while, nearly all my adult life in fact and I have the residency papers and a few t-shirts to prove it. I have been lucky enough to have the kind of jobs most people would dream about in Thailand, especially those that want to use their language abilities. Few would say that I lack the ability to see the darker side of life here though I try to accentuate the positives. And though I have represented Thailand in international competition I am still a proud Englishman with just the one nationality. I am kind happy with who I think I am.

So what was it that rattled my bars about being called an expat? Was I being overly proud, boorish even? Why did I suddenly feel lumped together with oil workers, the culturally insensitive, people who say you just cant find the maids like you used to….

Firstly I thought I had better google it to see if I had missed something. No…”An expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing, as an immigrant, in a country other than that of their citizenship. The word comes from the Latin terms ex (“out of”) and patria (“country, fatherland”)” – it seemed that that fit me completely; there I was an expat. Gulp!

But it got much worse. Not only was I an expat but enjoying all sorts of white supremacist advantages….

A recent blog in none other than The Wall Street Journal spoke of the startling differences in the way the term is used in describing people of white skin colour and people with darker skin…..suddenly this was starting to be closer to the farang debate…

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/expat-expat/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-04-16

I too dislike being lumped in with others I feel I have nothing in common with. Yes, I am older but I came here young and have lived here my entire adult life. Yes, I do not work but I never really retired from anything, I just stopped accepting employment around 40. I don’t receive government handouts or pension. Nothing in Thailand is new or difficult for me and I speak the language. I am happily married and have never been divorced. I have never had any children. I don't drink and never have. Yet, I am included in the ranks of older retired expats and sexpats who only recently discovered Thailand. Such is life I guess.

It is a word that has no real meaning to me personally. The few responses I have had in the past were from peers or people of my parents day and I think they saw it as something sort of cool... like Hemingway kind of romantic... For me, I was just living my life and it was a natural and predictable progression to retire early here as I have a long pleasant relationship w/Thailand.

I am sure, if not Thailand, it would have been somewhere else as travel has always been part of my life and I enjoy other cultures...

We're expats the minute we leave our home countries. The rest is just nonsense.

You are actually an immigrant and not an expat as you have permanent residence.

So an immigrant has permanent residence and an expat has not, that means that the biggest majority

of us who are expats, do not have permanent residency which is definitely the case.

There has always been something about the term "expat" that rubs me the wrong way. It makes me feel that I have abandoned my native country or somehow removed myself from my birth citizenship. To me, it means closer to "ex-patriot" which brings up a whole set of uncertainties.

FYI - Another definition of expatriated: to withdraw (oneself) from residence in or allegiance to one's native country

I have lived in Thailand for 10 years. I would rather consider myself a temporary resident not an expat or immigrant. For now, I temporarily reside in Thailand until such a time I decide to go somewhere else where ever it may be.

Edited by Silurian

Enjoying the life as a WHITE SUPREMACIST ADVANTAGES, you are a real piece of work. I'VE been in 48 countries and taught in several countries training military

and civilians including the MIDDLE EAST. And to make such a remark, don't every meet me little Englishman.

I'm a retiree who lives 9-10 months of the year in Thailand, and 2-3 months of the year in Australia. I would have thought the term expat refers to a person who is working in another country on a tour of duty.

I've never heard of a Briton working or living in Australia being referred to as an expat. Perhaps the term has racial overtones.