Internet provider and Internet security

Felt 35

The well known Internet provider I have used since they started suggested me to buy a new router. Okay fine, they set it up and then ask for the password for the router / my account...eh I'm no Internetguru but for the Wi-Fi genies out there, is this safe and secure?

Thanks.

if it is all set up now go into the router and change the password to your choice

Not sure the OP is talking about the router access code. If it's a new router then it will have either no code or a defualt code thta should be known (like written on the router).

The 'well known' provider should already have these dealers in their system. No need fr you to supply.

At least the the way it works with all my many 3BB accounts.

have these dealers ????????[/size]

oops - autocorrect typo - now manual correct in original post ... details

To me it's unclear whether it is the

1) account name/password from the ISP or

2) the user name/password for the router.

Okay fine, they set it up

Who was "they"? Technicians from the ISP?

Where? In your house/condo?

Normally the ISP technicians should have a "work order sheet" with data for 1).

(like post #3)

Make sure that you have the data for 2) and change it if is a default value (admin/password, admin/admin etc.).

I know people left behind without knowing their router access data being dependent on some technicians.

As far as I know you can not change data for 1)?

Edited by KhunBENQ

but for the Wi-Fi genies out there, is this safe and secure?

WiFi?

This is the third name/password combination.

Better you should change these on your own.

If they asked for this (WiFi name and password) then consider it a courtesy and let them do,

As soon as the door is closed: log onto the router and change it tongue.png

No one except you needs to know.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1) ISP account data

Found in the router setup under PPPoE or the like:

Can not be changed in the router, whether changeable at all?

post-99794-0-12247900-1460792418_thumb.j

2) username, password for router

Can be changed somewhere in the router, for me "System Tools"/"Manage Control".

post-99794-0-84063700-1460792454_thumb.j

3) WiFi name and password

Should always be done on your own.

post-99794-0-65771200-1460792477_thumb.j

Actually 2) has to be known first to do anything.biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Okay fine, they set it up and then ask for the password for the router

I think they are asking you to enter a password of your choice for the router. At least whenever I get a new router from ToT, they ask me to enter a password of my choice....

Just to summarize and clarify some of the information that others have posted above...

There are always 3 different passwords associated with an ADSL or FDDI router:

(1) Router Access Userid and Password. This is the password that allows you to login to the router and change configuration settings. New routers will have a factory default user id and password, which can be obtained by doing a google search for your manufacturer and model. You can (and should) change this at any time.

(2) ISP User Id and Password. This is what the router uses when it establishes your internet connection at boot time. It's setup by your ISP, and changing it in your router configuration will make your internet connection fail, unless your ISP also changes it on their end. Think of it as your ISP account.

(3) WiFi Password. This is the password that most users are familiar with. It allows a device (PC, tablet, smartphone, etc) to access your LAN and the internet via the your router's WiFi signal. You can (and should) change this from the default setting.

Just to summarize and clarify some of the information that others have posted above...

There are always 3 different passwords associated with an ADSL or FDDI router:

(1) Router Access Userid and Password. This is the password that allows you to login to the router and change configuration settings. New routers will have a factory default user id and password, which can be obtained by doing a google search for your manufacturer and model. You can (and should) change this at any time.

(2) ISP User Id and Password. This is what the router uses when it establishes your internet connection at boot time. It's setup by your ISP, and changing it in your router configuration will make your internet connection fail, unless your ISP also changes it on their end. Think of it as your ISP account.

(3) WiFi Password. This is the password that most users are familiar with. It allows a device (PC, tablet, smartphone, etc) to access your LAN and the internet via the your router's WiFi signal. You can (and should) change this from the default setting.

Thanks that clarify most.

Edited by Felt 35

Like said before, the router userid/password is required to make the changes to the router. if an onsite-technician asks for it, it's perfectly ok to give it to her. After she has done the needed changes to the ADSL authentication and settings, you should change the password for the router access.

Why should you change it? Quite a few adsl-modems / routers can allow ssh access from the internet to the router. This is a way to get to your home's internal network. It's an easy way to snoop around what you are doing, access your data, webcams etc.

Most of the technicians and system admins are good people. Then again, if a internet provider's tech person would be offered 20Kbaht to pass the access to your network, would she take the money?

In most cases, there is nobody to offer such money for boring data.

Like said before, the router userid/password is required to make the changes to the router. if an onsite-technician asks for it, it's perfectly ok to give it to her. After she has done the needed changes to the ADSL authentication and settings, you should change the password for the router access.

Why should you change it? Quite a few adsl-modems / routers can allow ssh access from the internet to the router. This is a way to get to your home's internal network. It's an easy way to snoop around what you are doing, access your data, webcams etc.

Most of the technicians and system admins are good people. Then again, if a internet provider's tech person would be offered 20Kbaht to pass the access to your network, would she take the money?

In most cases, there is nobody to offer such money for boring data.

No, it's not.

IF you can get a secure shell (ssh) then you MIGHT be able to figure out other stuff if you can then escalate that up to root privileges.

Almost every decent OS that can support an ssh connection will also disallow insecure authentication methods (usually by default unless it was configured by a total idiot) so saying it is easy is not an accurate representation of the situation.

The 'well known' provider should already have these details in their system. No need fr you to supply.

At least the the way it works with all my many 3BB accounts.

Some of these installers don't have two brain cells to rub together. Last year I had to have "the internet guy" come out to repair my connection. When he arrived, he told me he had MANY customers to get to that day. After the job was done, I offered him a cold drink. He said, "Sure," then he noticed I had a couple of guitars. We spent a good part of the afternoon jamming. Customer service at its finest!