Has anyone hired a Thai for unskilled work?

That will depend on where you are - - and probably what you need them to do... the more distasteful the job, the more you will have to pay and the less likely you are to find someone...

Currently unemployment rates are reportedly lower than 1% - - even my Thai friends have trouble keeping unskilled labor in relatively pleasant jobs... if slightly inconvenienced, they can probably get a new job tomorrow...

good luck - much might depend on your individual area.

Did you mean that you want to hire someone who has skills that you do not possess ?

What work are you wanting to be undertaken ?

Pay is determined by location and what is required.

As an indication my next door neighbor (A Thai) paid about 500bht/day to each of four (unskilled ?) workers who laid some concrete.

Looking for a range of what people are paying for various things, rather than just a suggested rate.

In the immediate case, I'm just looking for a PA / translator to take around with me and do some computer stuff / pick up food / whatever, but who knows what I / other ThaiVisa users might want to hire for next week, so examples of what people are paying for various things would probably be the best thread.

I wouldn't class a PA/Translator,plus other duties as unskilled.

I pay 500 A day plus lunch,plus a beer at the end of the days work.

General building contractor type work,tree lopping.etc,welding electrical up to 800 depending on the job,price is always negotiated before start.

They are happy as am I.

I really do not know what they were paying but would guess labor around here in the countryside is about 300 baht per day for most jobs... a friend in Phuket was paying 500 per day... a friend of my wife, working 2 jobs as a maid in Bkk, I think is bringing in about 24,000 a month...

all of that is relatively unskilled...

Looking for a range of what people are paying for various things, rather than just a suggested rate.

In the immediate case, I'm just looking for a PA / translator to take around with me and do some computer stuff / pick up food / whatever, but who knows what I / other ThaiVisa users might want to hire for next week, so examples of what people are paying for various things would probably be the best thread.

Do you really believe that a PA / Translator is "unskilled"

This has to be a troll post

Not a professional PA. A professional PA is obviously a skilled job, where they have good language ability, secretarial skills, understanding of things their client wouldn't even know they needed.

Just talking about an unskilled person who can accompany me to markets and talk for me at my language ability's end, and can help me study Thai, go to the 711 to grab conveniences, etc.

A person who can speak English isn't classified as unskilled in Thailand. The person who speak English and can translate will probably have a degree and won't be willing to work for THB 300 per day.

Just to let you know that I used to pay a personal assistant to run some errants for THB 1,000 a day.

I know people working as personal assistants for medium companies who earn THB 60,000 a month working there for 10+ years though, but still...

Not sure of wages for house construction.You need to be careful that they aren't drinking beer while their working.Many employers

Give their workers beer at the end of the shift.Maybe Friday at he end of the shift maybe some food with the beer.At low unemployment your really bribing him so he will be back monday morning.

Not a professional PA. A professional PA is obviously a skilled job, where they have good language ability, secretarial skills, understanding of things their client wouldn't even know they needed.

Just talking about an unskilled person who can accompany me to markets and talk for me at my language ability's end, and can help me study Thai, go to the 711 to grab conveniences, etc.

I think most foreigners here end up using a GF for that purpose - - they pay a monthly fee, a maid, a maid with privileges, and the English skills will vary according to the person as will the monthly wage...

If you are just looking for someone part time for exclusively taking you to markets and such, then ask around in your neoghborhood and see if someone speaks English and wants some part time work as needed...

keep on mind that there are 2 ways a job will get done, they way you think it should be done and the thai way

Which explains why working for Khun Farang is such a thrilling experience ... poverty wages and a daily dose of unwarranted arrogance. A real career opportunity.

I recently moved into a house that had been unoccupied for over a year and the garden was massively overgrown.

I got 3 guys in with a pick up to lop a couple of trees, trim all the bushes and hedges and generally tidy everything up taking away the rubbish. We paid them 2000 baht plus a couple of drinks through the day and a couple of beers when they had finished.

I may have overpaid a bit, but they did a good job and there is no way I would be doing that work in 35 degree heat so no complaints. And at the end of the day that is only about $80aud, if I was getting 3 guys to work a 9 hour day in Sydney lopping a couple of trees it would cost be atleast $1000.

I'm in Pattaya.

I usually ask for a quote for the complete job. If it takes them 4 hours, 1 or 2 days, that is up to them. However, learning by experience, I don't generally employ Thai workers anymore; the reason - Most of them are jack-of-all-trades, but master of none. I've yet to see a 100% satisfactory job, but I pay them because it's the best that I can expect. Never employ a Thai to do any painting; there will be more paint on the ground than on the wall and the roofs of most of the house near me are splashed with paint.

Yes, I would employ a Thai to do the more skilled jobs like building a wall. However, I've narrowed it down to only one worker, who does an excellent job. Others haven't been invited back.

You know the saying - "If you want a job doing well, do it yourself" I'm fortunate enough that I'm still able to do most jobs, but that won't last forever.

I'm a firm believer in, "You get what you pay for". That is so true in Thailand, but there are some good tradesmen out there, the problem is finding them.

A person who can speak English isn't classified as unskilled in Thailand. The person who speak English and can translate will probably have a degree and won't be willing to work for THB 300 per day.

Just to let you know that I used to pay a personal assistant to run some errants for THB 1,000 a day.

I know people working as personal assistants for medium companies who earn THB 60,000 a month working there for 10+ years though, but still...

I have a Personal Assistant who works for me finding things I can't and gathering info for me. Her English is exceptionally good and I pay her 250 THB an hour.

I live in Bangkok and she lives in Phuket so everything is done by LINE messenger and email.

I'm about to hire another girl in Bangkok to help me with things where I need the person to be with me. This one I have offered 100 baht an hour and she will most likely be working 4 hours a day, 5 days per week.

You seem to be looking for an English-speaking Thai--that is not unskilled. There are many multi-talented quasi-English speaking Thais who will work for B2000/day plus room an board

I just mentioned this to my missus, she is looking for something to do. If you are in Pattaya let me know cos she might be keen.

She has lived a few years in Australia so has a pretty good command of English.

Depending on the work inside outside they average only sadly 300 baht a day, that's 3 beers for me. SO, I think you have to judge the quality of the work you want. Did your boss buy a pizza for lunch or pay for beer after work? After all your not working in 38c outside. TREAT people with with respect.

Out in the boonies for manual work 200 to 300 baht a day. Plus water lunch etc. Is ok

Bear in mind that a Thai (19 to 20 years old) with no qualifications will work in the industrial manual sector starting at about 6000 Baht pm. Not even meeting the minimum 300 Baht a day. Many do so in the outskirts of Bangkok. They may get bonuses on top. The salaries go up with time.

For skilled qualified workers just google Thailand Salary Guide 2015.

Overpaying is normally why people like to attach themselves to farang.

Edited by maprao

My wife used to work as a translator and she was paid 50,000B a month for a 5 day work week.

We pay the workers in our factory 320B a day for a 12hr day, which includes lunch and sometimes dinner.

Our maid is paid 8000B a month.

When the wife needs farm help she pays 200B a day, which most of the time are Cambodians.

A welder we pay 600-800B day depending on the job and the experience of the guy.

Hope this helps.

You seem to be looking for an English-speaking Thai--that is not unskilled. There are many multi-talented quasi-English speaking Thais who will work for B2000/day plus room an board

60-70k a month? I know Thais that get paid that kind of salary. They all have degrees, and some of them have Masters. They tend to speak English well and some speak other languages such as Chinese.

These are very switched on individuals who are working for leading advertising agencies, etc.

That sort of money gets you a cut above the rest.

keep on mind that there are 2 ways a job will get done, they way you think it should be done and the thai way

Which explains why working for Khun Farang is such a thrilling experience ... poverty wages and a daily dose of unwarranted arrogance. A real career opportunity.

and most of the the time the Thai way is what works best in Thailand.