Crackdown On Piracy

george

Police plan anti-piracy crackdown

BANGKOK: -- Police said today they will set up a special task force and launch a new crackdown on intellectual piracy in order to demonstrate by the end of January that they are seriously addressing the trademark and other IP violations.

The announcement was made by police spokesman Pol Gen Achirawit Suphanphesat, who is also deputy commissioner general.

It followed a meeting with representatives of 57 trademark owners, who complained that police were [more...]

--Bangkok Post 2006-11-02

Expect the police phone bills to increase when they call to let the vendors know they are coming.

Just like here in Malaysia.

Shops are often "half open" with the shutters halfway down. :o

Police step up measures to crack down on pirated products

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police are setting up a special task force to crack down on pirated products to show that the police are seriously addressing the trademark and intellectual property violations, according to Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol. Gen. Achirawit Suphanphesat.

Gen. Achirawit, who is also Deputy Commissioner General, said he met with representatives of 57 trademark owners stating that the police are not 'dead in the water' but are responding in full measure to the problems of copyright infringement, and is giving sincere and full attention to address the matter.

Representatives of the 57 trademark owners, comprising music companies, film production firms, software companies and cable TV operators, met Gen. Achirawit to discuss the measure to cope the intellectual property rights violations.

He admitted that intellectual property rights violations have damaged the country's image and affected Thailand's international trade.

Therefore, he said, the Royal Thai Police would set up a special task force to crack down on pirated goods and will continue to cooperate with the intellectual property rights owners.

The operation would not be 'just a flash in the pan,' he said, adding that he was confident that the problem of pirated products would be considerably reduced within three months.

Progress will be periodically reported to the Police Commissioner and the Chairman of the Council for National Security, he said.

--TNA 2006-11-02

Ha-har, avast there ye landlubbers ! Ol' Cap'n Hand 'ere jus sailed up from the Spanish main looking for some grog and some trinkets. Sank a few o them Chinese pirates on the way, ha-har those ships are junk.

OK me mateys I went along that Souk Hum vit street looking for some o them denimes for the little senorita back in La Isla. I bin lookin for those Italian Harmanis. Pirates mateys ! Chinese pirates had been there first and there were none !

Har- har smart as paint be these Siamese. They must have some somewhere ? Tried some o their Songtip grog. No wonder lads why they call it SongTip. I were singin' like a bird after a couple of bottle me mateys.

Times is bad for us pirates. Duckets lads, duckets. There were women with Adam's apples.

Har -har I be off back to the Spanish Main without me denimes me bucko. The senorita will be chasing me around the quarter deck for lettin her down on the trinkets and denimes.

How can a pirate live today me lads ? How can e live ? :o

Ha-har, avast there ye landlubbers ! Ol' Cap'n Hand 'ere jus sailed up from the Spanish main looking for some grog and some trinkets. Sank a few o them Chinese pirates on the way, ha-har those ships are junk.

OK me mateys I went along that Souk Hum vit street looking for some o them denimes for the little senorita back in La Isla. I bin lookin for those Italian Harmanis. Pirates mateys ! Chinese pirates had been there first and there were none !

Har- har smart as paint be these Siamese. They must have some somewhere ? Tried some o their Songtip grog. No wonder lads why they call it SongTip. I were singin' like a bird after a couple of bottle me mateys.

Times is bad for us pirates. Duckets lads, duckets. There were women with Adam's apples.

Har -har I be off back to the Spanish Main without me denimes me bucko. The senorita will be chasing me around the quarter deck for lettin her down on the trinkets and denimes.

I hear ye Lobo, its sht like this that makes you think Thailand just gets more and more like the Grey Europe we left behind. The Spanish Main beckons...

'You Siamese boys planning a crackdown on me again? Cap'n Jack says "You couldn't organize a p*ss-up in a grog shop"

"I'll be looking for you in Pantip soon. Ha Ha."

........ it happens, once or twice a year someone stanbds up to say something about the IP market and what they are going to do about violations.

But little changes - in fact if anything there is more of the stuff around despite the increased legislation.

Tim

Lower prices only way to stop pirates. :D

Shiver me timbers ! Oo wanna stop e pirates. You'll be walking the plank me laddo !

Ow about a Crackdown on the Crackdowns ? Har - har ! :D

I ain't an old sea dog fur nuttin. How are you gonna stop the big pirates ? Bigga than even that scoundrel Morgan ? I know e game har har :D Open a factory in Thailand, make all e Nike stuff for twopence. Pay the lackeys a penny a day. Then ship it over to Europe and charge good shillin for it.

Who's the Pirate now me boyos ? I'll be lookin for some o them freightin ships to plunder.

Avast there and board, Nike's and Harmani's for all. :o

Now lads I be lookin for one o them Siamese wenches for a little exercise. You see Ol Cap'n Hand ere as a bit of a back problem.

I'll be comin back har har, so watch e now an I'll be after that grog and wenches !

Ha har - I be carry'n em all orff - heh har the sea air make feel like a bit o ruttin !

Edited by Hermano Lobo

Thai Police Step Up Measures To Crack Down Pirated Products

BANGKOK, Nov 3 (Bernama) -- The Royal Thai Police are setting up a special task force to crack down on pirated products to show their seriousness in addressing the trademark and intellectual property violations, its spokesman Police General Achirawit Suphanphesat said.

Thailand news agency (TNA) reported Thursday quoting Achirawit that police are responding in full measures to the problems of copyright infringement, and is giving sincere and full attention to address the matter.

Achirawit met with 57 trademark owners representatives comprising music companies, film production firms, software companies and cable TV operators, to discuss the measure to cope the intellectual property rights violations.

He admitted that intellectual property rights violations have damaged the country's image and affected Thailand's international trade.

Therefore, he said, the Royal Thai Police would set up a special task force to crack down on pirated goods and will continue to cooperate with the intellectual property rights owners.

The operation would not be "just a flash in the pan", he said, adding that he was confident that the problem of pirated products would be considerably reduced within three months.

Progress will be periodically reported to the Police Commissioner and the Chairman of the Council for National Security, he said.

Source: Bernama - 3 November 2006

Lower prices only way to stop pirates. :D

Lower prices, and stop censoring every ###### film available. :o I'm sick and tired of buying authentic dvd's and vcd's and find out that every cigarette; breast; bottle; gun; etc, has been pixellated out of the bloody film! :D It just spoils the whole viewing experience. And as a consequence, I now look for the pirate copies.....

I suppose they'll round up a load of out-of-date fakes and have some poor elephant trample over it in another moronic show of commitment to morals / ethics / decency; blah, blah.

The land that knows the price of everything and the value of sod-all. :D

Rant over. :D

The operation would not be "just a flash in the pan", he said, adding that he was confident that the problem of pirated products would be considerably reduced within three months.

Like the war on drugs...............? :o

The last 'crackdown' I saw at Pantip they didn't even take anything away - just covered up the stalls with cloth and business as usual the *very next day*.

Why they bother even pretending to care, I don't know.

Of course they didn't take anything, nowadays people use bank transfers :o

Avast there landlubbers ! Ooh be this Cap'n Jack anyways ?

R_Newton.jpeg

Now don't yoo go worryin yoo pretty little heads about no Piratin stuff ! Ol' Cap'n Hand will be boardin some of those Nike vessels and knickin the Nike and Harmanis. I'll be takin my ship around the point at Pattaya and off-loadin the stuff for some oh them Siamese traders. They be givin me some more grog an all, don't e knock it all back at once now.Har har Shiver me timbers me ol ship-mates will be givin a hand as it were.

Now 'Er back at La Isla be given me grief for no Harmanis and trickets so don't worry lads I will provide. We'll thrive lads, we'll thrive !

bbeard11.jpg

The little lady back in La Isla.

The Thai police couldn't crackdown on a lame cockroach. The Thai police force are among the only people on earth that could walk fully erect, wearing a stovepipe hat, under the belly of a sidewinder. They are an insult to the King they serve, the nation they represent, the people they laughingly 'protect' and the human skins they inhabit.

You've read my mind! :o

I'll log off now and make myself a tinfoil hat. :D

Do they still have copies of NAT's Vids?

I do :D

Who is Nat? ...... I''m not dumb, just slow.

All this talk of pirates..... gaahhrrr , avast behind.

Queen: Edmund, you are completely wonderful. If you do this, I'll probably marry you [All leave Sir Walter's side and go flank Blackadder]

Sir Walter: Oh yes? And who will be your captain? Hmph! To my mind, there is only one seafarer with few enough marbles to attempt that journey.

Edmund: Ah yes, and who is that?

Sir Walter: Why, Rum, of course. Captain Redbeard Rum.

Edmund: Well done. Just testing. And where would I find him on a Tuesday?

Sir Walter: Well, if I remember his habits, he's usually up the Old Sea Dog.

Edmund: Ah yes, and where is the Old Sea Dog?

Sir Walter: Well, on Tuesdays he's normally in bed with the Captain.

:o

Enforceable ..... I think not .... it's been said before.... make the legit stuff affordable, that is the only, and I mean the only way to stop piracy.

Gaahhhrrr

Lets make a "what if" turn.

What if they will find a way to actually crack it down ? There are few ppl between members of TV, who know how such things could be done even here, so please - think about it

Few years ago there were rumors about visa rules changes. Everybody laughed their "tuchas" as "What they gonna do without us?". Well now its happening.

Will this extend to National Geographic and other documentaries with the logo smudged out at the bottom of the screen on major tv stations? How about movies obviously translated without permission as the subtitles constantly drift off from the story when translators can't get what the actors are saying?

As someone once said on here, Rolex will not bother as fake Rolex buyers couldn't even afford a real one, they only end up making more publicity for them when buying a fake.

Can the average Thai afford the price of a genuine pair of Levi denims? More publicity when fakes are worn.

You can be sure that Thai intellectual property will come first, look at Grammy with their own paid thugs visiting internet cafes and cd shops. How many manufacturers here have stolen designs from known brands and mass produced under their own brand name?

One manufacturer I know had shirt labels spelled wrong, I pointed at the mistake and he replied it was spelled right as he copied them from a known brand. He was puzzled when he figured out his known brand samples were fake, 3 levels deep for one article, at least.

Quite a clean up ahead...