Cheapest Way To Get To Phuket

bacwy1

I am coming from Bangkok to Phuket for a week. I am going with two friends of mine(female). What is the cheapest way to get to Phuket for three people and what is a good hotel that will let 3 people use a room? We are all going to share the bed together :o I take it that I have to fly or is there a train that will take us there? I really dont mind seeing some of the country from the ground. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

rain will be the cheapest - but will have to change to a bus at either Surat Thani, Thung Song or Trat.

directly you can go by bus from the southern bus therminal on Taling Chan (Thonburi side of Bangkok) or by the tourist bus (many of them departing from around the Khaosan Rd area via Hualampong train station) - but the tourist buses might be stopping several times or even changing on your way to Phuket.

flights might be cheap if bought well in advance - check airninja.com for the airlines Bamgkok-Phuket

The cheapest way would be to walk or hitchhike, but I suspect you already knew how to get there didn't you? You just wanted to boast about sharing a bed with two women.

The truth be known it's probably your mother and sister. :o

:D:D I can tell you thats not true since I'm from Arkansas and my Mom, Sister, Cousin, and Wife are all the same person.

Just jokin, I have been to Pattaya and Bangkok but never Phuket. I work in a high stress environment right now but am quiting and moving over to Thailand and Asia and running some online buisnesses. I am trying to save some money because I am going to Cambodia, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, and the Phillippines in the next few months and also India to get some work done for me there.

I would rather spend my money on the pleasures than the hotels and travel.

I disagree with the poster who said get the train to Surat and then the bus.

The trains in Thailand, i found, are actually quite expensive. And slower than the bus for some odd reason. Anyway, i think if you want a bed on the train, you will be looking at about 1200 baht per person, one way. That is just to surat. A mini bus from surat to Phuket is 220 baht. I know the last one cos i just bought a ticket this morning. That then weighs up as nearly 1500 baht for the trip. I pretty sure you can get a cheaper bus than that directly from Bangers to Phuket - especially from KSR area. There are a few scams to watch out for on these busses of course. Mainly, dont put ANYTHING of value in the baggage you put in the hold. Just put clothes in them. There is access to the hold compartment from near the bus drivers seat and the spare driver often rifles through bags. Secondly, some of these busses will drop you off at a tour agency "just" inside Phuket - though still 40 minutes from the centre of town, or Patong beach. You cant deny that they didnt take you to Phuket can you..................once you crossed the sarasin bridge, you are in Phuket! Anyway this tour agency will try and try and try to get you to stay at one of their affiliated hotels..........and they throw in a free taxi to get you there. If you dig your heels in, they will eventually take you into town on the bus. But they will make you wait. However, its not always a bad thing as if you dont mind where you particularly stay, you may get a reasonable deal for a hotel off them. Up to you!

You may also be lucky with flights. Sometimes, just once in a while, you can get a single flight for about 1000 baht. Good luck.

Edited by markg

cheapest? 3rd class train to Surat then a bus ....

best and not too $$ air (look at all the budget carriers)

as mentioned other possibilities are the busses ... the cheaper the bus the morestops it makes and slower it brings you here.

plenty of guesthouses around for cheap cheap!

buy a lonely planet guide (SE Asia on a shoestring?) for some ideas

V.I.P bus 920 Baht ( 24 big seats / reclining air con etc.

Standard thai bus ( no air con wood sit up seats!) around 350 - 400 Baht

Flight around 1200 - 2000 depending on day time and carrier

accomadation cheapest phuket town hotel ive seen 350 baht one night

Just check in alone and take your freinds in later

Hope this helps m8