Should I go diving?

Should I get a diving certification? For those who have done it, what's so great about driving?

Can you recommend some nice instructors in koh tao? I'm not into drinking or drugs or trance music... Just unrelated lol... But I would hate to end up with a tough guy trance music addict as my instructor.

I have an opportunity plus I'm next to Koh Tao which I've read is one of the best places in the world to learn.

What do you think?

The reason I want to try is because i have no sport hobby and I need reasons to keep active. The more the better really.

It's obviously an expensive hobby... But maybe it's worth it. I'm not rich but I like being in the sea so hey.

Definitely give diving a go. It is not for everyone but most people find the undersea world fascinating. Even when you are not underwater it is a nice day out on a boat. Divers tend to be more widely traveled and into different experiences than average so they are almost always interesting to spend some time with.

Koh Tao is one of the cheapest places to get into diving and it is very convenient as the dive sites are close by.

Personally I would avoid the bigger operators. They are professional but I just find them a bit impersonal. In my experience the slightly smaller operators can be more flexible and you quickly get to know everyone. The best of the ones I have dived with are Roctopus, New Way and Master Divers.

Don't hang around get over as soon as you can as this is usually the best time of year for dive conditions on Koh Tao.

personally i would give koh tao a miss and head to chaloklum on koh phan ngan.

its a small fishing village as far away from the full moon as you can get on the island with none of the claustrophobia of koh tao.

there are about 5 good dive shops in the village alone, and sail rock, and marine park are pretty much equidistant from chaloklum as koh tao, so all the same dive sites.

id reccomend dive inn in chaloklum, but there are plenty others as i have said.

chaloklumbayphangan.com

I signed up with a small company, accommodation is included.

Dive point. Very small... I'm the only one doing the open water course tomorrow and they managed to squeeze the theory in today even though I just arrived. So definitely flexible! I agree about the big operators. I'm near the pier. Very. Is this a good place to be based to make the most of the little town here?

It's 9000 for 6 dives why

Which is brilliant including accommodation.

why don't you just go snorkeling. The water is clear and in my opinion it is much more satisfying than SCUBA diving. And costs hardly anything.

That's actually a very good suggestion.... just to get a taste of what under water life if like.... it can be a whole new and different world ! thumbsup.gif

I've done plenty of snorkling in my life so the open water course, which I've just finished, was a great next step. I enjoyed it.

I want to keep scuba diving as much as i can in the future.

A little tired since I just finished my 5th and 6th dive but it's a great way to keep active without risking any joint damage or over straining anything since its a gentle exercise but quite calorie intensive so ideal for trimming up !