Traveling to USA

Hi guys can anyone share their knowledge on the ESTA visa, for visiting USA. I was told by a woman at the London office, that I might be refused , on the grounds that because I don't really have a permanent address or a job in UK., I could be looked at as a strong suspect for just staying on.

I live off of my house rental and some other investment returns, I don't really want to have to document that for them. I'm hoping to bring my girlfriend from New Jersey to Thailand to live actually.

I read somewhere that if I drive over the border I don't need the ESTA. I could do that from Toronto to New Jersey, if thats the case.

I tried calling the consulate in America that deals with this apparently, but i couldn't get past the automated voice and choice.

Help please, even though most of you will be laughing at bringing a girlfriend to Thailand, she's pretty special tome.

Thanks in advance guys

David p

Edited by David P

Last time I did the online application it only took a few minutes and it was approved instantly. If you get approved, make sure you have plenty of $$ when you arrive in the US, and can answer any questions fluently.

An ESTA lasts 2 years anyway, so apply for it now, so you can deal with any issues.

Is, then, an actual VISA needed on top of an ESTA approval?

Mac

No. The ESTA program was introduced a few years back to pre screen Visa Waiver Program applicants for possible connections to questionable countries (2007). As example a UK passport holder that does not hold another countries pp has no problem and gets a 90 day voa but if that UK PP holders also has dual dual citizenship or another pp or has traveled to another questionable country on the list go chance they can be denied iF they have pre applied for the ESTA if not the airline won't let them on the flight or at worst when he arrives in the USA he will be automatically deported. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_System_for_Travel_Authorization

Edited by khwaibah