Thailand and U.S. to expand economic ties

webfact

Unlike Thailand the President doesn't run congress or the country and policy is set by congress the president is just a person who tries to set a direction for the country to move toward nothing more he has no war powers. It is the party in charge who either approves or disapproves yes the president can veto or refuse to sign into law but that is it. But wanting duty free exports while not willing to offer same in return will get you nowhere. Thais can buy and own property in the US American citizens can't do same here Until that changes expect nothing. Oh yes we can buy condo but house and land it sits on NO. Own a business without thais having some control over here not happening.

You hit the nail right on the head. What exactly does the U.S. get in return for granting free trade favors to Thailand? Allowing expats to own land and residential homes would be a good place to start. Also, long term visas (i.e. 5 years) rather than 12 month extension of stays; annual reporting rather than 90 day reporting; no customs fees for items brought into Thailand from the U.S. by expats. The list goes on. They can keep their discriminatory pricing to national parks if they like.

All these regulations are the direct consequence of fear and paranoia. Plenty of Thais own land in foreign countries but Thailand is 'special' and does not need to reciprocate. And because the mental health situation is so parlous in Thailand,. the fear and paranoia never gets any better.Evidently it's the official line that Thais don't suffer from mental illness. All Thais smile so much they can't speak properly, so they must be really happy - right?

And because other countries regard Thailand as unimportant, no pressure to change is ever applied. I met the owner of a language school in BKK some years ago. His opinion was that Thailand only gets the dregs from Europe and America (he was European himself). Doesn't apply to you or me of course, but there are many it does apply to; the septic tank who is partial to public cunnilingus is a pretty good example.

I saw someone write a while ago, that Thailand is like an appendix. Nobody takes any notice of it until it becomes painful. Which the good general is doing as we speak.

You may be right Winniedapu. My views are Thailand has her new overlord. The new boss wants to see more Chinese in Thailand and less Furong. This is like ukraine with Thailand being the rice bowl, they already have millions of tons of iron, coal. Now they have food to feed themselves.

Its just a matter of time, If Furong on long stay haven't left Thailand yet, you should make plans too. Imagine a conflict breaking out, a nationalistic group with gps coordinates on your home.

You may be right Winniedapu. My views are Thailand has her new overlord. The new boss wants to see more Chinese in Thailand and less Furong. This is like ukraine with Thailand being the rice bowl, they already have millions of tons of iron, coal. Now they have food to feed themselves. Its just a matter of time, If Furong on long stay haven't left Thailand yet, you should make plans too. Imagine a conflict breaking out, a nationalistic group with gps coordinates on your home.

Well, that's certainly one possible possible future for Thailand, but I doubt it will happen. The Thai privileged classes know they are dependent upon the goodwill of the international community for their continued wealth. Prayuth and his thugs serve a purpose but the moment they elites have to contemplate living like the proles, or (God forbid) under a Chinese hegemony, they will kick their sorry asses out very quickly. Either one would terrify the gentry, they're rarely cursed with either bravery or principles, especially the Thai gentry - not in their DNA.

As a farang in the land-of-fixed-and-stupid-looking-grimaces, the best bet is to stay indoors, keep a low online profile (good job that social media is only for social inadequates and people who need some kind of validation from other fools). I'm happy enough to live among the poor of Thailand, I'm pretty anonymous and if I need to do business with Thais, I get my wife to do it - safer, cheaper and I don't get ripped off so much.

Keep your money safe and available, your head down and learn how to look like a sheep in a sheep's clothing - it'll likely be OK.

Hopefully...

Edited by Winniedapu

You may be right Winniedapu. My views are Thailand has her new overlord. The new boss wants to see more Chinese in Thailand and less Furong. This is like ukraine with Thailand being the rice bowl, they already have millions of tons of iron, coal. Now they have food to feed themselves. Its just a matter of time, If Furong on long stay haven't left Thailand yet, you should make plans too. Imagine a conflict breaking out, a nationalistic group with gps coordinates on your home.

Well, that's certainly one possible possible future for Thailand, but I doubt it will happen. The Thai privileged classes know they are dependent upon the goodwill of the international community for their continued wealth. Prayuth and his thugs serve a purpose but the moment they elites have to contemplate living like the proles, or (God forbid) under a Chinese hegemony, they will kick their sorry asses out very quickly. Either one would terrify the gentry, they're rarely cursed with either bravery or principles, especially the Thai gentry - not in their DNA.

As a farang in the land-of-fixed-and-stupid-looking-grimaces, the best bet is to stay indoors, keep a low online profile (good job that social media is only for social inadequates and people who need some kind of validation from other fools). I'm happy enough to live among the poor of Thailand, I'm pretty anonymous and if I need to do business with Thais, I get my wife to do it - safer, cheaper and I don't get ripped off so much.

Keep your money safe and available, your head down and learn how to look like a sheep in a sheep's clothing - it'll likely be OK.

Hopefully...

Not possible for some, [edit:furong] sheeps clothing is white wool in with a herd of brown wool. The officer does his master bidding without thought. If the master orders the farmer to cull all the sheep with white wool well... good luck on your hiding spot. Your Interesting because you know, I know. Are we n'sync? lol Edited by jerico2017

I'm not a political genius by ant means.And a lot of you guys are,and i like to read and try and learn.But can someone enlighten me on this.

USA,the land of the free.

USA who fought against the tyranny of Great Britain,and won (twice)

USA the land where any child can grow up to be president

USA 'give me freedom or give me death'

USA the country that fought a civil war that resulted in more Americans dying than in all the other wars put together,for the freedom of Black slaves.

The USA that opens trade with a country that is now living under a dictatorship that enforces suppression of the media,enforces a Hitler/Stalin,regime.That threatens its political opponents with 10 years in prison for non agreement of its charter.That forces people into 'readjustment of attitude' camps.That dismisses crimes against women out of hand.That allows'Elite' families to commit murder and get away with it.A country that is now completely under military rule.A country whose government (that is illegal) is frightened of its own shadow.

All i want is some understanding and clarification of what the f##k is going on?

Please advise.This post is in no way meant to be sarcastic or clever.I just want to know.thank you in advance.

In all seriousness, who says the US is "opening up trade" with Thailand?

Hint: the article is a press release by NNT.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

In all seriousness, who says the US is "opening up trade" with Thailand?

Yes but our troll team was much more concerned with coin collecting, sheep farming in the Ukraine, human rights in some incoherent gibbering manner and basically talking about anything EXCEPT what this news article was about.

Not suprising for our resident Troll Team, but it does look like thay have been into the vodka again. They should have strict rules about boozing and posting on this forum. biggrin.png No Wodka When posting!

Edited by LomSak27