Dating as a young foreigner in Isaan

revgreen

I'm not young but I live in a small village in Isaan (population C600). There are at least 5 attractive young women (under 30) living here either permanently or on a commuting basis. Some single, some divorced, 2 with a small child. I guess if you scratch the surface and get to know the locals, you will probably find it's much the same in any village.

Unless you like the outdoor life, eg fishing, birdwatching, walking, bike riding, gardening, etc, etc, there is little to do except read, watch tv, or dabble on the internet. Together with my beautiful partner, it's enough for me!

Good for you, sir! Sincerelyclap2.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a young (?) guy of 30 living upcountry in Isaan. I live in the village now, but I was single when I arrived. I think the girls up here are pretty! Much better than the girls in patts or whatever. But you will need to learn Thai (or Khymer Thai or Loas Thai) to get the best of it. Avoid girls working in expat bars/karaoke/whatever. There are bad ones here too, and you wont know until its too late. But theres lots of good ones too. Good luck!

No offence, but what the heck is a young guy of 30 doing in upcountry ban nork?

Try to date a girl from a local 7 eleven . Some of them are really nice and speak a little bit of english .

Not mentioned, the baggage these girls bring with them.

Who in gawds name would even consider a girl from sewen as marriage material?

They are working in 7 for a reason.

Of course if the OP is 50+, weighs about 300 kilos, by all means get a 7 girl.

His biggest ploblem, sorting out the wheat from the chaff, lack of Thai langauge wont help.

Let me guess another TEFLr type going to the ass end of nakon nowhere.

Edited by rgs2001uk

I'm not young but I live in a small village in Isaan (population C600). There are at least 5 attractive young women (under 30) living here either permanently or on a commuting basis. Some single, some divorced, 2 with a small child. I guess if you scratch the surface and get to know the locals, you will probably find it's much the same in any village.

Unless you like the outdoor life, eg fishing, birdwatching, walking, bike riding, gardening, etc, etc, there is little to do except read, watch tv, or dabble on the internet. Together with my beautiful partner, it's enough for me!

some divorced, 2 with a small child

Why the heck would he want to take on a meu song, a girl with bagage, a girl some Somchai has cast aside.

Major loss of face, never mind him falang, man mai roo ruang.

Try to date a girl from a local 7 eleven . Some of them are really nice and speak a little bit of english .

His biggest ploblem, sorting out the wheat from the chaff, lack of Thai langauge wont help.

Thanks for the "like" note, but really now! For heaven sake, ole man, lighten up! The OP is just a kid, compared to you! Sigh! whistling.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Thanks for the "like" note, but really now! For heaven sake, ole man, lighten up! The OP is just a kid, compared to you! Sigh! whistling.gif

Ole man, LOL, no offence you are probably older than me.

Correct just a kid, that dont know what he is letting himself in for upcountry, once you start dating you are as good as married.

The Somchais can sort out the wheat from the chaff, the farang cant, hence the reason they end up with the dregs of Isaan and Somchais cast offs.

My ploblem, been here too loooooooong, roo maaaaaaak, khon baan nork mai chop baksida roo maaaaaak.

No offence intended.

If you happen to end up in Wongchumpu (total population 100) I can introduce you to some of my wifes family.

The problem is, they all have wonderful caring Thai boyfriends who have six-pack stomachs, good jobs and look after them.

Never mind.

Edit. That is Sipi in the background and his son being nursed..

attachicon.gif400723_305315992897595_1750861751_n.jpg

Good looking family

When I lived in Nong-Phai about 10 years ago I drove by Wongchumpu at least once a week on my way to Phetchabun, which was only 10 minutes drive further on via Highway 21. Wongchumpoo isn't a quiet backwater village, and the Sunday market is usually busy, like the farm/produce stop on the highway, which gets very busy on national holidays and in high season. BTW, which noodle shop are you referring to? I'm probably visiting Phetchabun again in the next couple of months.

I had to google Nong Phai and Pretchabun as I don't get out much. There must be more than one Wonchumpu, you are approx 511km South. We are up near Phon Cheroen, it is the backwaters. Actually we are 7km from there, but that is the nearest village as such.

The noodle shop overlooking the Songkram River. There is only one as far as I know.

My line of thinking is that most all the foreigners around will be older and married.

So what is life like for a young single guy out in the styx?

Do you want to meet a girl in the styx, how ?

They spend most of their time watching TV, will you go door to door knocking ?

Go hug a tree. go to the ''dancing clubs'' give and get phone numbers and oh

remember no one will speak English, if they do - watch out - how and where

did they learn.

Badoo, Friend finder, wechat, Skout, even tinder and AFF..

They can keep it on the down low, are chatting non stop and the fact you show up locally, as a whitey gives them a curiosity boost..

Seriously these apps can pull them out of the woodwork in rural areas..

When I lived in Nong-Phai about 10 years ago I drove by Wongchumpu at least once a week on my way to Phetchabun, which was only 10 minutes drive further on via Highway 21. Wongchumpoo isn't a quiet backwater village, and the Sunday market is usually busy, like the farm/produce stop on the highway, which gets very busy on national holidays and in high season. BTW, which noodle shop are you referring to? I'm probably visiting Phetchabun again in the next couple of months.
I had to google Nong Phai and Pretchabun as I don't get out much. There must be more than one Wonchumpu, you are approx 511km South. We are up near Phon Cheroen, it is the backwaters. Actually we are 7km from there, but that is the nearest village as such.

The noodle shop overlooking the Songkram River. There is only one as far as I know.

OK. No problem. Hope you're enjoying life. I copy what someone else said......very good photo of yourself and 'family'.

Once in a while, when you least expect it, you will meet that one and your tongue will hit the ground.

TRUE.....even looking online. A friend of mine, new in town, old and poor, not good looking at all, on the very first day searching a dating online site, got a date with a recent divorced, very beautiful, a lot younger woman, western educated and millionaire....and are doing well.

Not the normal....but....ANYBODY may be very lucky sometimes.

I tried to date girls around 18-30 in Isaan and it is extreme hard. Virtually impossible if you can't speak fluent Thai. And then, they say "ask my boy", so you can be sure that 99% have a yaba tattoed boyfriend. And the ones who like to date are the ones that are on holiday from Pattaya.

But what I noticed is that there will be sometimes offers to be a mia noi and that comes mostly from the "inner circle" of one's wife.

I speak pretty decent Thai.

I guess I could be some bored housewife's plaything. Trying everything once, eh?

OMG. What could possibly go wrong?! :)

I was lying in a hammock reading a book out the front of the in-laws house when I heard a motorbike pull up. I didn't take any notice as they chatted just a few metres away.

My wife said "Hey Sipi, do you want to buy another hammock?". Without looking up I said "No". She said "Are you sure?".

So I looked up to see the hammocks that were being sold by the person on the motorbike, and she was the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen.

"I'll take the lot" I yelled through a mountain of dribble as I jumped to my feet.

My wife and her Mum burst out laughing.

Ole man, LOL, no offence you are probably older than me.

Correct just a kid, that dont know what he is letting himself in for upcountry, once you start dating you are as good as married.

The Somchais can sort out the wheat from the chaff, the farang cant, hence the reason they end up with the dregs of Isaan and Somchais cast offs.

My ploblem, been here too loooooooong, roo maaaaaaak, khon baan nork mai chop baksida roo maaaaaak.

No offence intended.

Actually referring to someone using the "Ole" prefix, is (between menfolk) an expression of respectful recognition for another male person's maturity.

The flip-side of that coin being that western womenfolk now consider the word phrase "My Ole Lady", to be more of a insult, than a compliment anymore. Peacethumbsup.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

When I first moved to Isaan, and before the locals figured out I wasn't interested, I was constantly offered introductions to young women. Everyone had a sister they wanted to marry off to a Farang (I don't know if the sisters were as eager as their brothers). As you speak Thai, I think you won't have problems making friends and getting invited to the local parties etc. where you can meet some young women.

Always be the first to initiate conversation with Thai woman. Ask her if she speaks English and if she doesn't hand her a card with your cell number and a note in Thai stating your new to the area and looking for women around the same age that speak English for friendship. It's a numbers game and all about salesmanship and networking. The card will be passed on and some will call, but many will be looking for financial help in a roundabout way.

Initially many Thai women are shy so keep the conversation going with questions until they warm up a bit.

Many young Thai women are pressured by the family to bring in money to help support the family. So many will be traveling out of the area frequently to work in the cities.

Be smart and consult with expats who have lived here for many years about what you can expect from dating Thai women.

Be outgoing and always have back up ladies for less heartache.

Read the book, 'Private Dancer.'

In time you will probably find what you are looking for, but stay in touch with the backup gals!

You can expedite your search with offering financial security for the special lady and her family!

Focus on creating a bigger stack, and the gals will find you!

Then protect the stack by asking financial questions directed to the right people.

Never give the entire stack away. Pay yourself first.

The learning curve here and in other foreign countries can be difficult and there was a time when we all made mistakes. Learn from others about those mistakes so you don't make them.

Good luck.

Ask her if she speaks English and if she doesn't hand her a card with your cell number and a note in Thai

How does that work?

Initially many Thai women are shy so keep the conversation going with questions until they warm up a bit.

Then you recommend a very poorly written short novel that many expats or short term visitors hold to the bible of Thai/English relationships as Gospel.

Mate the chances of an Isaan lady in her home town warming up to a farang are close to zero.

The Thai culture is nothing like you see in the tourists parts of Thailand...you won't see boyfriends and girlfriends holding hands. Don't wear shorts, well maybe board shorts style.

Dear God Kabula I hope you really don't live like you purport to post if you live in Isaan.

I suspect you live in a bedsit in Birmingham with the only free hand on the keyboard.

^^^PS what a/c is that in your avatar?

Vought / A-7 Corsair, wai.gif

http://corsair2.us/index.html

Thanks for taking the time to reply, dont think I have ever seen one of those before, had it been a F5 or F15 no problem, hence my question, thanks again.

My pleasure, sir! And you're right, re: the generation gap between us. Celebrating my 74th. this coming October 28th. Bon Voyage thumbsup.gif

All the attractive girls older than 14 will be married or in Pattaya.

There's usually a few mingers left hanging around, usually the fat girls.

Good luck.

Confirmed.

Living in the "sticks", to see an attractive Thai-Female is a rare occurrence. To make it worse, even the remaining young "fat-ones", have at least been blessed with 2 infants already at the age of 20.

= The ultimate "libido-killer" !

"Thai women are beautiful" is a myth. As BritMan indicates, the true "Thai-Beauties" hang around Tourist-Hubs and they have very little use of "country living", unless a gullible Farang comes along with deep pockets.

Cheers.

Nonsense........rolleyes.gif

Glad someone said it...Yeah no good looking Thai girls in all Isaan and any that are all work as hookers. Sometimes I just shake my head at the number of muppets that get on this forum

^^^PS what a/c is that in your avatar?

Vought / A-7 Corsair, wai.gif

http://corsair2.us/index.html

Thanks for taking the time to reply, dont think I have ever seen one of those before, had it been a F5 or F15 no problem, hence my question, thanks again.

FYI ~ Interestingly (pun intended), the interest in viewing my member profile "skyrocketed", from 587 (since 09FEB14), to 1262 in the past 10 days. Amusing, whistling.gif .

Let's see, if there's also an (intellectually) equal interest peak of 675 views, forthcoming with my current profile aviatar, as well.

Indeed, that would be an astonishing phenomenon, all things of the "average" TVF membership mentality considered!coffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Try Mahasarakham. When I was young I found the locals most accommodating. Never met anyone from there "on holiday" in Pattaya/Phuket etc. Rich enough.

University town.Went to the McDonalds or KFC downtown.Plenty of young pretty ladies about.

I'll be sure to add Mahasarakham and the noodle shop in Wongchompoo to my "must visit" places next time I'm planning a bike trip.

My father had a bike many years ago................when he died I found out about all the brothers and sisters I never knew existed before,so be careful whistling.gif

All the attractive girls older than 14 will be married or in Pattaya.

There's usually a few mingers left hanging around, usually the fat girls.

Good luck.

Lmao. This is my expectation.

I was hoping a few people may chime in and bring a more positive outlook... but it is what it is I suppose.

You may go from the catchy LMAO to JYDO rather quickly there.

And then somchai comes lurching around the corner with her bags in hand, ready to shuttle her away to the family abode.

a situation I've seen too many times

Then you don't need help here...

Well I didn't really want help... just anecdotes.

Do what the old timers do. Go to Pattaya for a weekend get filthy drunk and go around beer bars. Take the first girl you see that is somewhat pretty but not too expensive/demanding. Leave your wallet out with just a bit of money in it and pass out drunk in your guesthouse room. The first girl that you wake up with that hasn't robbed you, take back to Nakon nowhere and marry. She is different from the others after all.

This formula has been working for old Isaan hands for decades and counting.