Moving Household Stuff to Australia - Good Company

Chao Lao Beach

I am looking for quotes for moving stuff to East Coast Oz.

Depending on cost up to a 20ft container.

Half container or maybe even just 10 m3

What we send depends on cost. Using Google I found folk here say Asian Tigers but they are expensive. Any other ideas ?

Any tips would be great. A life of Thailand has come to an abrupt end :( (well at least for a few years)

It isn't going to be cheap sending stuff to Australia. I would advise paying extra to get a professional removal company to move you.

If you want problems then choose one of the cheaper companies.

I used to work for Pickfords in Bangkok, I can vouch they will give you a great service at both ends. But they wont be the cheapest company you find.

G'day Khun Beach...when I cam here (from Sydney) some five years ago, I used Palmers.

They had a Thai agent in Bangkok to do ALL the paperwork and arrange delivery. The move from door-to-door was smooth as.

The price was very, very reasonable. So, maybe worth contacting them in Oz, to see if they can give a quote for Thailand to Australia.

We moved a 20' to Thailand with personal items and due to our export business here we are constantly sending containers to the Australian East Coast. The cost will depend on how much you are willing to do yourself. If you are happy to hire a few Thais on day rates to help with the loading at this end (under your supervision) and then contact a small local removal firm in Oz near your destination for the unloading (they will give you removal labour on an hourly basis and may even quote you a fixed price for the container), then you will come out way ahead of using an International re-location firm. The actual door to door cost of sending a 20" container will vary depending on your location in Thailand and the final destination in Australia. However as a guide our factory is about 1 hour from Laem Chabang container port in Thailand and most of our container deliveries go to Sydney or Brisbane suburban areas. The average cost for a 20' container on this basis is around AUD$3,000 all in but not including the labour for loading and unloading. PM me if would like the name of the freight company we use . I'm not sure they could help but it would be a good place to start.

If you are sending over 7 or 8 cubic metres of freight it will be cheaper to send a container as the handling charges in Oz are high for LCL freight. Having the container delivered is not a problem as they will drop it off from the delivery truck with a side loader or deliver it on a skel (trailer) and you have at least 3 or 4 days to unpack it before they come back for the container.

I used Allied Pickfords to move belongings from Qld to here a couple of years ago.

Door to door service was great. Nothing broken or damaged.

They have an office in BKK, off Sukhumvit Soi 103 area for memory. Not too far, about 5 minutes drive, from BTS Bearing.

I used King & Wilson in Canberra to pack & store my household goods last November. Not cheap but excellent service & good people to deal with. Still in storage in Canberra. Am building a house in Prasat Surin so will know soon how it all goes when I give them the go-ahead to despatch. From memory, about 21 cu.m.

I'm moving as well. I've been told that packing your belongings yourself can negate insurance. So be mindful of that.

I've contacted one company in Pattaya - will get the name later, short term memory loss :) - which quoted me 19k baht for 1.5 cu/m crate (first consignment, with more stuff to follow later) to NZ. They will pack.

No point in selling stuff here and purchasing again back home - second hand market is worthless. A new 50-inch TV cost me 28k last year, but best offer 2nd hand is 10k, so the loss is 18k - which far exceeds the cost of shipping.

Some might be able to correct me but i have been told by a reliable source that tv sets from thailand wont work in Australia.

So you might want to sell these before moving.

Incorrect.

OP I used Conroy Removals (http://www.conroyremovals.com.au) outbound from QLD to Pattaya who work with Asian Tigers in BKK. Given your situation you may wish to instruct Asian Tigers to contract with Conroy; spend a bit more money as excellent service door to door with packing / unpacking and removal of packing material at destination. Asian Tigers were easy to work with as fluent English & zero problems. End to end service 20ft container cost AUD6500 incl insurance.

Clearly I am researching this right now, prices are extreme (difference) and all over the place.

For future searches I will post some good links I found here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/288760-shipping-to-uk-australia-also-other-places-and-into-thailand/

Yes we recently looked into something similar & it is as you say extremely expensive.

In the end we decided against it & sold most things with our condo. Will be cheaper to re-buy later.

We moved a 20' to Thailand with personal items and due to our export business here we are constantly sending containers to the Australian East Coast. The cost will depend on how much you are willing to do yourself. If you are happy to hire a few Thais on day rates to help with the loading at this end (under your supervision)

You are asking someone to 'pull a few Thai's off the street' to help pack and load things that will have sentimental value and could be irreplaceable.

This is why I would advise to use a professional company.

Packing and loading somebodies life and memories is not a job anyone can do, despite what people will tell you.

We just moved to Chiang Rai from the Blue Mountains and had a 40 ft container sent here.I used Palmers Relocations and can recommend them.I had a lot of antiques and expensive tools and they were all wrapped well.A couple of things were slightly damaged but probably as much my fault as theirs.I was in touch with Palmers and their agent in Bangkok for many months before and the communication was always good.Their agent is BOONMA MOVING AND STORAGE

It isn't going to be cheap sending stuff to Australia. I would advise paying extra to get a professional removal company to move you.

I used to work for Pickfords in Bangkok, I can vouch they will give you a great service at both ends. But they wont be the cheapest company you find.

When it arrives in Oz, be prepared to spend a day with Customs, Quarantine, while they go through every item. Ensure everything is spotlessly clean. I got hit for $80 as I was told a pedal bin was not clean. A very detailed list of what's in the boxes is required.

When it arrives in Oz, be prepared to spend a day with Customs, Quarantine, while they go through every item. Ensure everything is spotlessly clean. I got hit for $80 as I was told a pedal bin was not clean. A very detailed list of what's in the boxes is required.

I doubt many consignments are opened by customs. As for a details list of what is in the boxes etc, this should be done by the removal company.

But you are right about dirt, also the Australians will not allow certain items made of wood into their country. All these things should be made clear to you by your moving company.

Choose wisely and you can avoid the pitfalls those who choose cheaply face.

• 6 months later...

I say stay away from White Swan.  I had a terrible experience with them. Actually there is no them. It is just one individual . I shall not name him, but he is a farang from Denmark. I used White Swan to ship from the U.S. . Had so many problems I had to hire another agent when my stuff got to Thailand. I lost about 94.000 baht. 

My suggestion is go with  Boon Ma. They were incredible.  Just my experience.