Long-distance Walk (200-300 K) Originating CM - 30 Days - Never Been Outside CM - Help

WonderousWand

I have 30 days free in the very near future.

I am fairly familiar with Chiang Mai, but I have never ventured outside the city, except for one trip to LP on a bus.

I do not want to walk in the wilderness, and will not be camping.

I need to carry only 2.5 Kilograms: 2 empty coke bottles for water, 1 additional pair of jeans, one additional shirt, socks, phone, charger, a sleeping mat, perhaps, but no hat.

I do not mind car fumes, but prefer to walk among trees. I prefer to walk in a populated area, because walking in the back roads around CM, I bump into many dogs who do not like me, no matter I DO like dogs. The dogs here really freak me out, and so that would be a game stopper if I had to worry about territorial dogs every day.

I guess I would prefer to head north, and I do want to remain in the province of CM, however, I guess I would walk in any direction, depending on which route would be easiest.

I like to walk through city streets, or along the highway provided it is not a limited access highway, and I can only do about 25 K per day, to start.

Normally, I walk about 15 K per day, and do not become fatigued, so I figure 25 K per day ought to be about right.

Carrying anything over 2.5 Kilograms spoils the pleasure of the walk, so I will need to eat along the way, wherever.

Likewise, I will only carry about 2 liters of water, because water ain't light, and this means I would not be able to walk more than about 10 K without being able to fill up the coke bottles again.

I have done some searching on this website, as well as other internet places, and I found this link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/314779-long-distance-walking/

However, this is more addressing "trecking", which I do not consider to be what I propose, and also this link was last alive in 2009.

My friends say "Ha Ha", but I am serious, IF it is possible to walk a route that is practical.

Chiang Mai has plenty of great scenery, and plenty of trees and beauty, so I do not mind taking a break and walking on congested roads.

Another possible problem would be not knowing where I could sleep at night, or take a shower, not to mention wash my shirt.

This is the HOT season, but the heat does not bother me, and I have been walking with no hat in 40 degree heat, always in the sun, and never wear a hat.

I do not even get dizzy, but people along the way look at me like I am crazy, or just got doused during this past Songkran holiday.

I have been in Asia, East and SE, quite a few years, and I have lived in some rather primitive places when there was nothing else available, and that did not bother me too much.

To me, Chiang Mai is a very clean and healthy place, and the food is good,

Some other countries I have lived in....Well I could not say that they are very clean and healthy, and so here is great, comparatively.

I was thinking of purchasing the book by Christian Goodden: Trek It Yourself in Northern Thailand

However, I do not think I will be trekking, in the strictest sense, and the book is not offered in an ebook format, it is paperback, and too heavy.

I know that there are many people living in Chiang Mai who have been here a long time, and so I bet that there are those who have done this sort of thing before, whereas I have NEVER done anything like this.

BUDGET: Since I am walking, then I will not need to worry about transportation costs. However, what about places to stay? I suppose, if one wanted to do it right, then staying at a Wat would be best, if there were some way to pay to sleep and use the shower. Sleeping and showering would be the main expense, I suppose.

What about Baht 3000 to walk 300 kilometers? Sound about right? Or, would that be impossible?

If I can find a way, a practical way, I promise to post the results of the 30 day walk.

No doubt, if there is an Australian around here, then they might know. I mean, they like to walk and trek.

Someone suggested that I might try to find a bicycle path to follow, as solution.

Thank you for your help.

I know practically nothing about what is outside Chiang Mai City.

I really should start in about 7 days, and intend to keep my stuff in storage.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this heat perhaps you should open another thread as a possible obituary.

With respect , although you like to walk without a hat and say the heat does not effect you ..... heat stroke can come on gradually without you noticing it and if that happens your budget will go right out the window.

Might be best to break into your budget and invest in a hat before you set out. If the cost is prohibitive you could at least use a handkerchief knotted in the four corners to stop your brain frying.

AQI was 200 today. What plan do you have for a respirator? Walking in this horrible pollution?

You can't avoid dogs...........come on, get real....

OK, I KNEW someone was going to mention the pollution, however, as stated clearly above, I do not pay it no mind.

Seriously, it does not bother me, other than slight irritation of the throat.

Anyway, I smoke, so what is the difference?

I will quit smoking when I start, so it will even out, I guess.

The pollution, for me, is non-issue.

How to deal with the dogs I meet, is definitely an issue.

If you do not look them in the eye, then they still get irritated.

I could carry some meat along and throw it at them, I suppose.

I will carry a bamboo walking stick, but that might antagonize them more.

Bottom line, let us please not talk about pollution.

With respect , although you like to walk without a hat and say the heat does not effect you ..... heat stroke can come on gradually without you noticing it and if that happens your budget will go right out the window.

Might be best to break into your budget and invest in a hat before you set out. If the cost is prohibitive you could at least use a handkerchief knotted in the four corners to stop your brain frying.

OK, good advice.

I will use a straw hat.

But, you probably know, the straw hats don't stay on well.

I suppose I could use some tin foil, but would not consider it.

I will take a hat, agreed.

check out crazyguyonabike buy yourself a cheap bike and do 1000 km, much more sensible easy to get between stops, slow enough to see everything, stop when you want,

Terrible time of the year for long walks. You have the heat, the smog, and the fields are brown and barren. That being said there are plenty of great walks. You can go north up the canal road to Mae Rim and then continue on the road through Huai Sai that goes to the Prem School. There are plenty of places to stay in that area but the road is much more scenic north of Huai Sai, but few places to stay. There is the small secondary road that parallels the main road just east of the Ping, and there is the canal road further to the east of the 1001 that runs behind Mae Jo Univ. As for Thai dogs, just carry a walking stick. If you can get use to sleeping in temples then your options open up. And if you do then walk with a pakama tied around your waist or wrapped around your head and use that to cover up in the public bathing spots such as you might find in a rural temple or local village. OK, you also have to get use to showering wearing some Thai briefs, don't go try to wash in public going commando with just a pakama. It also helps to have crossed that Rubicon and use left hand discipline and be comfortable using a low rise commode while only using the bowl and water provided. Good luck, but really, far too hot to be safe at this time of year.

check out crazyguyonabike buy yourself a cheap bike and do 1000 km, much more sensible easy to get between stops, slow enough to see everything, stop when you want,

Well, I would, but I prefer to move more slowly.

I was very much inspired by that lady from the UK I read about, who walked 27,000 miles, and just kept on walking, life Gump.....

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2016/02/29/sarah-marquis-hiking-wild-australia

Quite a woman.

Anyway, I like to walk.

Terrible time of the year for long walks. You have the heat, the smog, and the fields are brown and barren. That being said there are plenty of great walks. You can go north up the canal road to Mae Rim and then continue on the road through Huai Sai that goes to the Prem School. There are plenty of places to stay in that area but the road is much more scenic north of Huai Sai, but few places to stay. There is the small secondary road that parallels the main road just east of the Ping, and there is the canal road further to the east of the 1001 that runs behind Mae Jo Univ. As for Thai dogs, just carry a walking stick. If you can get use to sleeping in temples then your options open up. And if you do then walk with a pakama tied around your waist or wrapped around your head and use that to cover up in the public bathing spots such as you might find in a rural temple or local village. OK, you also have to get use to showering wearing some Thai briefs, don't go try to wash in public going commando with just a pakama. It also helps to have crossed that Rubicon and use left hand discipline and be comfortable using a low rise commode while only using the bowl and water provided. Good luck, but really, far too hot to be safe at this time of year.

Thank you so much for a super helpful post!

Yes, I would prefer to sleep in a Wat, however, I had been told by a friend that that might not be permitted.

You also mentioned what are probably very good local walks,

However, I had wanted to take a long distance walk, if that were possible, heading out of the city for another city.

Maybe not practical, however if it is, and you know how it might be done, then I would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Again, thanks!

I was very much inspired by that lady from the UK I read about, who walked 27,000 miles, and just kept on walking, life Gump.....

Quite a woman.

Anyway, I like to walk.

Believe me on a local 3 speed, you may have walkers passing you,,,,,,,, if you check out crazyguyonabike there is a good read about a guy who bought a 3 speed in BKK complete with basket, last I read it was part way through Laos

Quite a woman.

Anyway, I like to walk.

Believe me on a local 3 speed, you may have walkers passing you,,,,,,,, if you check out crazyguyonabike there is a good read about a guy who bought a 3 speed in BKK complete with basket, last I read it was part way through Laos

He has more than a 3 speed now, I think, and he has an excellent website into which he has obviously devoted much time and effort.

What is the procedure to be able to sleep at a Wat?

And, where can I quickly learn more about etiquette and custom?

In other words, showering in a bathing suit would not be acceptable, I assume?

How about walking from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai .About 200 km .Then get the bus back .As far as i know most Wats will let you sleep for a night .Just ask .

Yes, Exactly.

That was my first thought, to try to find a way to walk from CM to Chiang Rai. I checked and one route is 186 Kilometers, according to Google Maps,

However, I do not know the best route which would take me on roads where there would not be too many segments that would be without places to eat or refill water bottles.

So, if anyone has information about this, or has walked from CM to Chiang Rai, then please let me know.

Also, perhaps I should visit a Wat during the next few days and ask what to expect, and perhaps which Wats to head for.

20 K to 25 K would be about max for me in this heat.

I checked out the bathing procedures, and a bathing cloth must be worn, however, in the Wats I have seen in the city, most seem to have separate showers.

It is only in the country where you might find a more communal approach, but obviously this is not Japan where same sex are able to bath communally without much on, except the towel.

Anyway, thank you for this information, because I was wondering if you could just walk to a Wat and ask to sleep for a night.

Also, what are the sleeping arrangements?

Just one room where visitors sleep on the floor with a pillow?

I really have no idea.

I still have 7 days to decide a plan, but my original hope was to walk to Chiang Rai, and then, depending, maybe walk the return journey, also.

Thank you so much for a super helpful post!

Yes, I would prefer to sleep in a Wat, however, I had been told by a friend that that might not be permitted.

You also mentioned what are probably very good local walks,

However, I had wanted to take a long distance walk, if that were possible, heading out of the city for another city.

Maybe not practical, however if it is, and you know how it might be done, then I would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Again, thanks!

However Superman, I guess you are an American because no one else would be crazy enough to undertake such a stunt so ill equipped.

You will require a hat otherwise after a couple hours of your head being exposed to the direct scorching heat of the sun, your brain will be fried. 2 Coke bottles for carrying water won`t be nearly enough as you`ll be sweating that out faster then you can drink it. What about toilet facilities, where do you intend to go for that? What about washing out your clothes that will be saturated in sweat withing the first half hour.

You haven`t mentioned your age and hope you are a fit young man. No one should undertake such a task without going for a full medical checkup and doing some fitness training first. Good luck.

I admire your enthusiasm! And your determination. I, too, love to walk, and try to walk 5k-10k every day, even in this weather. I think your idea of a 300k walk is a wonderful idea, and might consider something like it myself. I've walked (but with full backpack) the length of the Appalachian Trail, most of the Pacific Crest Trail, and the John Muir Trail.I love walking and hiking!

But there is a very important 'concept' that needs be addressed: it's called P-7

Proper Planning and Practice Prevents Piss-Poor Performance ... and you are NOT doing either!

Taking a daily 10-15k walk around town and returning home to a shower, a bed, and your usual foods isn't the same as wandering afield. Just the change of foods will cause body changes that need to be addressed. Sleeping on the floor at a Wat will not refresh you unless you have been sleeping on the floor at home for quite some time and have grown used to it. Combine these various 'strains' on the body with the current extreme heat and air pollution, and you are setting the stage for serious problems. The body has some very specific hot-weather requirements that you haven't addressed, such as electrolyte replacement, rehydration (you really WILL need to drink a lot more water than you think....) heat stroke (even conditioned and trained young soldiers are susceptible to heat exhaustion and stroke,) and as basic as it sounds... blisters on your feet! Walking 5k with an open, bleeding blister will reduced the strongest of people to a whimpering basket case....

May I suggest that before undertaking a 300k walk lasting 30 days away from home that you first practice with a shorter walk lasting several days, perhaps walking the lovely Samoeng Loop road from Mae Rim to Hang Dong. Shady most of the way, with plenty of food vendors, Wats, convenience stores.... "civilization" if you will, that can serve as some backup and safety net to your plan, allowing you to experiment with your walking needs and abilities, your methodology for existence during your longer planned and prepared for walk. A trip such as you have planned does sound wonderful, but only if you have prepared yourself for it. Even though on roads rather than through the wilderness, it will make demands on you that need to be handled. You can only handle them if you have practiced and prepared for them beforehand.

I wish you the best of peaceful adventure. May the roads rise up to meet you, and the wind be ever at your back!

I do lots of long walks and dogs are easy to deal with. Even packs of 10 or more. Carry a pocket full of small stones. Pretend you are throwing one at them and that usually does the job. If not then just throw one and then pretending after that normally works.

Once you get past them look out for that single sneaky fekker that quietly tries to get you from behind.
I also adopted a throaty and short Hrggh sound that Thai's make to deter dogs and it too works very well. That said I also carry a telescopic and hollow chrome baton that I got from a Big C stall for about 300 baht with a handy belt pouch but thankfully I've never had to use it. Just good for peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

A light weight hammok and bug net, can sling between trees and rest... also maybe walk a bit at night to avoid sun... dogs,(?) just keep moving at a steady pace, like you are not concerned by them ...they will usually sense that. Plan village to village and don't think so much about traveling a set ammount of distance. 7-11 is always cool and open . stay hydrated at all costs. good luck.

I admire your enthusiasm! And your determination. I, too, love to walk, and try to walk 5k-10k every day, even in this weather. I think your idea of a 300k walk is a wonderful idea, and might consider something like it myself. I've walked (but with full backpack) the length of the Appalachian Trail, most of the Pacific Crest Trail, and the John Muir Trail.I love walking and hiking!

But there is a very important 'concept' that needs be addressed: it's called P-7

Proper Planning and Practice Prevents Piss-Poor Performance ... and you are NOT doing either!

Taking a daily 10-15k walk around town and returning home to a shower, a bed, and your usual foods isn't the same as wandering afield. Just the change of foods will cause body changes that need to be addressed. Sleeping on the floor at a Wat will not refresh you unless you have been sleeping on the floor at home for quite some time and have grown used to it. Combine these various 'strains' on the body with the current extreme heat and air pollution, and you are setting the stage for serious problems. The body has some very specific hot-weather requirements that you haven't addressed, such as electrolyte replacement, rehydration (you really WILL need to drink a lot more water than you think....) heat stroke (even conditioned and trained young soldiers are susceptible to heat exhaustion and stroke,) and as basic as it sounds... blisters on your feet! Walking 5k with an open, bleeding blister will reduced the strongest of people to a whimpering basket case....

May I suggest that before undertaking a 300k walk lasting 30 days away from home that you first practice with a shorter walk lasting several days, perhaps walking the lovely Samoeng Loop road from Mae Rim to Hang Dong. Shady most of the way, with plenty of food vendors, Wats, convenience stores.... "civilization" if you will, that can serve as some backup and safety net to your plan, allowing you to experiment with your walking needs and abilities, your methodology for existence during your longer planned and prepared for walk. A trip such as you have planned does sound wonderful, but only if you have prepared yourself for it. Even though on roads rather than through the wilderness, it will make demands on you that need to be handled. You can only handle them if you have practiced and prepared for them beforehand.

I wish you the best of peaceful adventure. May the roads rise up to meet you, and the wind be ever at your back!

Thank you, so much, for this comment. I cannot disagree with one word of it, and I had last night considered the same issues. Sleep was my main concern. I have been drinking about 18 liters of water per day, and during my practice walks, but probably not enough.

And those who are much, much fitter than I do encounter heat stroke.

I have run up against sudden hypothermia, and it can happen unexpectedly, with resulting incapacitation.

As you recommend, it would be wise to test on the loop road before trying for an extended walk.

Thanks for these suggestions.

post-257660-0-18009000-1461115490_thumb.

Well done WW.....My grandmother took up walking five miles a day when she was nearly 60.

She's in her 80s now, .... and we don't know where the hell she is.'.................................coffee1.gif

I dont have much to add to this but I too love walking! I have walked 25 km treks through bkk and used to walk 16 km a day when I was there....thanks for this thread...

I hope you keep us posted on your journey...and and as FOLKGUITAR said...I want to do this too!

I WOULD remind you about an extra pair of shoes

...and some balm for the blistering feet....

Chok dee mate.

OK, good advice.

I will use a straw hat.

But, you probably know, the straw hats don't stay on well.

I suppose I could use some tin foil, but would not consider it.

I will take a hat, agreed.

I bought a straw hat for walking looks like a cowboy hat and has an inside elastic fabric that makes it stay on your head very well, and lets air circulate, I'm sure you can find one in Chiang Mai street market mine say's Thailand on it and I paid 300 baht in Krabi.

Let me say this tenderly: what you propose is a form of suicide that will have no charm whatsoever.

As an alternative to the over-the-bucking-balcony plunge, or the insult-a-group-of-lady-boys, stratagems, it falls flat, rather than splat, and low-so, rather than low-blow.

That you float such a boat in the shrunken Ping at this time is suggestive (assuming it's not a trollish excrescence) of intoxication with Thailand that reeks of narcissism; that state of rapture where the p*ss-pla-meuk-burri stink of the some of the low-down sois where grand-pa-white-whale-belly rallies for his last stand, smell to you like mixtures of 'Shalimar,' 'Obsession' and 'Opium' in duty-free shop samplers.

I have to go now, the black-ant multitudes need to be evicted from my morning soy-milk with as few casualties as possible.

If I had to go walking in this toxic-soup of heat-and-dust, I'd head higher: Doi Angklung, or Doi Mae Sarong.

But, don't let me discourage you with petty concern for your mortality; after all: "it's your party, and you can die if you want to."

cheers, ~o:37;

Previously, a commentor mentioned the important subject of electrolyte replacement when exercising in the heat.

I recall when Gatorade had no sweetener, which was before the company changed the formula to make it palatable as a beverage, such as Coke or something.

Also, the drinks like Gatorade are a waste of money.

So, I wonder whether anyone has tried to use the WHO recommended electrolyte rehydration formulas which have been so effective in treating infants who have lost too much water due to diarrhea?

By the way, when the governments have started following WHO recommendations, just this simple treatment which can be given by any mother or minimally trained healthcare worker can save plenty of lives.

People in Thailand now know about this important effect, and this information is widely disseminated.

However, regarding my thinking and experience, I usually just add extra salt to my food, and eat as much as I can, and assume that I have the nutrients that I need.

I have competed in some international rowing events, and you can lose over a gallon in just one race, maybe more, due to stress and heat in July.

I tasted Gatorade once, but I thought it was not required if one drank water and ate enough and salted ones food.

But it would be interesting to know if the infant rehydration formula is effective, since the cost is extremely low.

Just a thought.