Campaign to reduce plastic usage in restaurants initiated

webfact

Campaign to reduce plastic usage in restaurants initiated

BANGKOK, 20 April 2016 (NNT) – The Thailand Environment Institute (TEI) is joining hands with the private sector to campaign against the use of plastic containers in restaurants.

A memorandum of cooperation has been signed by the TEI and Four Seasons Restaurant, The Em Quartier Branch, to kick off a campaign, in which customers will be encouraged to minimize their usage of food takeaway containers made of plastic. The TEI is eyeing to extend the project to a number of other restaurants within Bangkok in an effort to reduce plastic waste.

TEI President Thanawat Jarupongsakul said the signing of the agreement will pave the way for PR activities to raise awareness of consumers about the environment. At participating restaurants, customers making a request for plastic boxes for leftover food will be asked to donate to the Health and Climate Change Fund.

Proceeds from the fund will be used by the TEI without deductions to sponsor its youth programs and researches related to health and climate change as well as other beneficial activities.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-20 footer_n.gif

"A memorandum of cooperation has been signed by the TEI and Four Seasons Restaurant, The Em Quartier Branch, to kick off a campaign, in which customers will be encouraged to minimize their usage of food takeaway containers made of plastic."

High end restaurants are the main culprits. It's the small food stalls, 7-Elevens, and similar businesses that double and triple pack everything in plastic. Good luck getting these small businesses to participate in this campaign. No way. Never gonna happen.

I bought myself one of these Thai stainless steel "lunch boxes" (pinto as they say in Thai) as I don't like the styrofoam boxes you always get when you buy takeout food here. So far I have used it maybe 50 times but I always get the food packed in plastic bags and then placed in the "box"...

At participating restaurants, customers making a request for plastic boxes for leftover food will be asked to donate to the Health and Climate Change Fund.

Empty box for the Health and Climate Change Fund but the tips box might get fat real fast :)

The very WORST is buying water in plastic bottles. I've educated all my regular restaurants to bring me filtred water with ice.

EVERY restaurant has water filters in the kitchen, just like every home. Yes, they make a few baht on every bottle of water but it's no big deal compared to your continued custom.

So educate locals there is no "away"!

Just got back from Bali and supermarkets there actually have signs saying that by law they are not allowed to give out plastic bags for free. Most convenience stores also will only give bags if requested. It is an embarrassment that this should be so easy to implement but isn't being done. Thailand has many pressing issues but cleaning up the garbage is one problem that can be very easily fixed. Many of the other problems your average tourist doesn't notice but filthy plastic strewn all over doesn't make a great impression.