Rising stray dog population in Thailand poses health concern

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok used to have dog culls in the eighties but these were stopped due to protests & change of governor, if I remember correctly they used to bring Australiand marksmen in to shoot them with poison darts?

When Chamlong came into power he tried other means to stop dogs breeding (as below) with no success!

"General Chamlong Srimoung, was elected governor of Bangkok in the late 1985.
Chamlong came to office through a landslide victory and enjoyed wide popularity among all cross sections of people due to his impeccable honesty and personal charisma. A devout Budhist, vegetarian, and a declared celibate, Chamlong led a very simple life. He dressed in a peasant’s clothes, lived in a bare one
room apartment and slept on floor even when he was the governor of Bangkok. Chamlong sincerely
wanted to improve living conditions in Bangkok. Among other things, he also wanted to alleviate the menace of stray dogs. However, being a kind man, he was not in favor of euthanizing the animals as has been practiced in many cities of the world.
He wanted to find a humane solution to the problem. With help from the city’s philanthropists, Chamlong set up a dog asylum. Stray gods were caught and broughtto this asylum, where they were castrated and treated for any ailments they had. A small number of these castrated dogs were adopted, but most were released back into the streets. This measure was expected to bring down the breeding rate of the stray dogs and hence reduce their population, but experience shows this did not happen."

Thank god we have organisations like Soi Dogs, that sterilise soi dogs.

The 'problem' will never end though as so many (Westerners as well as Thais) think it is acceptable to abandon pets that are no longer wanted at temples etc.

I'm also v grateful that rabies is not a problem on Phuket.

3.4 million strays? Yeah, right.

Stray dog population in Thailand is rising and is expected to reach 3.4 million in near future, posing health concern to the urban people, particularly rabies virus infection.

According to the latest survey of stray dog population by the Department of Livestock Development in 2014, there were more than 700,000 stray dogs in the country.

Of these, 370,000 were male.

In Bangkok alone, there were more than 100,000 stray dogs, and 600,000 dogs legally registered by owners.

However, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration could only implant 70,000 dogs with microchips.

But most of these stray dogs have not been sterilized.

What was worrying was that one female dog regularly gives birth to more than 10 puppies per year.

This raises the possibility that the total number of stray dogs in Thailand in the foreseeable future could actually be as high as 3,400,000.

The rising number of stray dogs has raised concerns over the possible outbreak of rabies especially during the summer months.

Even more worrying are statistics that show that of all the dogs found sick or ill in the entire country, 90% have rabies.

Furthermore, 60% of the animals afflicted with rabies are strays which poses a real public hazard.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/160265

Yeah, can't handle the truth?

Edited by Wilsonandson

Don't worry stray dogs. This problem has been known for a very long time and no one seems to be willing to do anything about it.

The only way to stop this is for the people be allowed to eat them

They can and do eat rats and the rat population seems to be doing fine.whistling.gif

Let's start with the people who feed them every day. We have some lady's driving around the area who feed all soidogs everywhere. Big groups are waiting for her every day (laying on the road, fighting, running like crazy).

Stray dog population in Thailand is rising and is expected to reach 3.4 million in near future, posing health concern to the urban people, particularly rabies virus infection.

According to the latest survey of stray dog population by the Department of Livestock Development in 2014, there were more than 700,000 stray dogs in the country.

In Bangkok alone, there were more than 100,000 stray dogs, and 600,000 dogs legally registered by owners.

However, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration could only implant 70,000 dogs with microchips.

What was worrying was that one female dog regularly gives birth to more than 10 puppies per year.

This raises the possibility that the total number of stray dogs in Thailand in the foreseeable future could actually be as high as 3,400,000.

The rising number of stray dogs has raised concerns over the possible outbreak of rabies especially during the summer months.

Even more worrying are statistics that show that of all the dogs found sick or ill in the entire country, 90% have rabies.

Furthermore, 60% of the animals afflicted with rabies are strays which poses a real public hazard.

The truth is 3.4 mlion is a BS guess.

And simply reprinting the article doesn't make it any less BS like.

However it does make you a purveyor of BS.

Edited by Bluespunk

The truth is 3.4 mlion is a BS guess.

And simply reprinting the article doesn't make it any less BS like.

However is does make you a purveyor of BS.

Captain BS to you. 5555

You're right the article has over estimated the foreseeable future. Still I'm getting replyed to now. This is great. For years no one replyed to me and now with a hint of sarcasm and Captain BS thrown in, I'm Mr Popular.

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2016 at 3:58 PM, bubba1 said:

How about a bounty of 100 baht for every dead dog . will help the poor raise some cash and get rid of these disease ridden filthy dogs.

Excellent idea. The problem is with current government it is not possible. You know 20 stray dogs encircled police officer with his pregnant wife and dogs growls and tried to attack, Officer used gun and killed one dog and injured another. After that officer had a lot of problems, i do not what happened to police officer later, may be he payed fine or suspended from work. The worst thing about this story no one cared about wife and him, but some idiots payed to cure injured dog in hospital, rather than put down all that 20 dogs and started campaign to cleaning thai streets from them.

On 4/20/2016 at 3:54 PM, tukkytuktuk said:

No, you need to be put down. Every so called soi dog has someone who regularly feeds it, even the rough looking mangy ones have a looker after.

People like you supporting dogs terrorism are putting society in danger. You know how many people were injured by stupid stray dogs, how many babies? When you or you children will be bitten and injured you will understand the best solution is to put them down. Same way as they do in Japan and many others advanced countries.

On 24 เมษายน 2559 at 7:17 PM, Thian said:

Let's start with the people who feed them every day. We have some lady's driving around the area who feed all soidogs everywhere. Big groups are waiting for her every day (laying on the road, fighting, running like crazy).

great i am one who helps also by feeding and giving fresh water to homeless animals. I wont stop.

On 20 เมษายน 2559 at 11:35 PM, lenscapasia said:

I am not quite sure where you think these dogs were being taken where they were "humanely killed for food". Dog meat is very tough so the dog is routinely tortured by being skinned alive, boiled alive or beaten to death so that certain enzymes are released to tenderize the meat. No dog being exchanged for a bucket met a humane end. These are sentient beings in many ways as intelligent as humans. Would you like to meet that end? We are all animals. Why should you survive and the dog not? Thank god for the bleeding heart liberals of which I am proudly one. All it takes is effort and compassion. Here on Samui we have a free dog neutering service for strays thanks to a great charity and other compassionate expats take others to locals vets to ease the load and pay the money to neuter them. In my street all dogs have been neutered and so have all the dogs in the local temples near me. There is still a problem with too many stray dogs, but poisoning them is not the way. Neutering them is. I have 6 rescues. Last week I had seven but some "compassionate" human decided to put poison on the beach and not warn pet owners. So my eleven year old lab ate strycchnine and died in front of my eyes on his 11th birthday. Anyone here who is advocating culling dogs - this is how the Thais will do it. It is the most painful horrific way to die, and if you can wish that on anyone or anything then you cannot sleep easy at night. If you have a problem with strays in your street, sort it out. It is encumbent upon you to do your part. Feed them, show them love, give them shelter in the rain, take them in if you can. And get them neutered, And the person who asked which idiot made it a crime to kill animals. I suggest you pop up to the palace because it was the king, a great dog lover, with children who have rescued hundreds of street dogs themselves. Many soi dogs now live in royal palaces. You can see them in the princes palace on Khao San road. It is your turn, if you want to live here, to do your bit too. These poor animals need kindness, compassion and help.

well said lenscapasia

On 4/20/2016 at 1:24 PM, Gary A said:

Several years ago in our area, we had no dog problems. A pickup truck that we called the bucket truck gave people a plastic bucket for each unwanted dog. Then a group of bleeding heart farangs pressured the government to outlaw these trucks. They went so far as to raid the collection points. The bleeding hearts had not thought where the funds would come from to feed these dogs and thousands of them starved to death. Now the farmers are left to their own means to control the dogs. It's not a nice thing to see dogs poisoned and killed in even worse ways. I happen to be a dog lover but would rather see these dogs humanely killed for food than being starved and poisoned.

we have lost 6 dogs to farmer poisoning; it is an ugly way to die; 3 days on our average

3 hours ago, humbug said:

great i am one who helps also by feeding and giving fresh water to homeless animals. I wont stop.

And what if one of your dogs causes an accident or bites a kid? 

If you want to have dogs you 'll have to keep them on your property.

On 20/4/2016 at 8:48 PM, weegee said:

Hey yeah!!!...here's an idea....Put an extra charge on peoples Airline ticket, when they purchase a ticket to come to Thailand......biggrin.png

Seems to be the way they do things here, hit the tourists.  Remember the increases in arrival taxes to clean up the rubbish dumped by thais and to establish and run the tourist courts