Octogenarian loses head in pick-up smash in Pathum Thani

webfact

Octogenarian loses head in pick-up smash in Pathum Thani

oct.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Three people died after a driver, suspected of falling asleep at the wheel smashed his pick-up into a tree in Pathum Thani yesterday afternoon.

The head of an 88 year old victim was found by rescue staff outside the vehicle. One person was injure, Thairath reports.

Police were called to the scene in Klong 10 outside a house near the temple of Charoen Bun in Nong Seau district of the province north of Bangkok. On the lane inbound towards Thanyaburi they found the red Isuzu embedded in a tamarind tree.

Nathee Phaengrot, 38, of Thanyaburi, Juan Phaengrot,88, and Jaranya Jong,51, both of Saraburi were all dead at the scene from massive injuries. Juan's head was discovered outside the vehicle. Another passenger, Somsaeng Bunkham, 49, was found nearby with head injuries and rushed to hospital.

Police said that witnesses saw the pick-up suddenly veer for no reason with the driver losing control before colliding with the tree and a lean-to used as a shop in front of a house.

They suspect the driver fell asleep at the wheel. The bodies of the deceased were sent for autopsy where alcohol in the blood will be measured.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-20

Just love reading these completely stupid news articles, they make for the start of fantastic lessons plans when teaching English. There is no way you couldn't make these up yourself.

Just love reading these completely stupid news articles, they make for the start of fantastic lessons plans when teaching English. There is no way you couldn't make these up yourself.

I do exactly that with my advanced students. oh how we laugh.

The headline completely deceived me.

They are working to top this one. facepalm.gif The recent rise of sensationalist/ nonsense headlines on Thaivisa is disconcerting. sad.png

111301frontpage.jpg?w=300&quality=90&str

Edited by Morakot

Falling asleep in the afternoon is quite popular when driving here. The other day i went and parked at Big C to do some shopping and parked in the undercover car park next to a pick-up with a Thai bloke snoring away inside with the window open and two empty beer bottles, one on the top of the dash and the other across his folded arm as he slept. I was gone just over an hour and when i returned he was still snoring and no doubt dreaming of the next case of beer. What sort of condition must he have been in when he drove out of that car park?

RIP to the deceased.

Very close to where I live

There was that many people viewing the accident when i drove past, that you couldn't see what had happened.

Have fallen asleep behind the wheel myself, but luckily I hit a 6 inch light pole and 2 out of 3 were wearing seat belts but nobody seriously injured. Chalk dee

....'falling asleep'.......in the afternoon.....???

Thais fall asleep anytime.

Take a look at the buses early in the morning, they've just finished a nights sleep and they're all fast asleep again in the busses going to work in the morning. How come??? Normal people after waking up in the morning shower and eat breakfast to get them to lunchtime.

Thais do not eat breakfast until having clocked in at work, that way they're eating breakfast (bowl of rice one of the lowest energy producing) at the Boss' time. Get it??? So they sit in the busses with an empty stomach and of course no energy to keep them awake.

It all has to do with the Thai clock.

A Farang who thinks the whole world is on GMT

When you live in Thailand you have to live on Thai time – 76 million Thais are not going to change to GMT

The Thais split the clock into four periods and start counting from six. 6 am Western time is also 6 Thai time, but 7 am becomes 1, 8 am becomes 2, 9 am becomes 3, 10 am becomes 4, 11 am becomes 5 and 12 is noon, but can also be 12. Similarly, in the evening quarter, 6 pm is 6, but 7 pm becomes 1, 8 pm becomes 2, and so on.

There is an additional word before or after the number to make it clear which part of the day or night is meant, but the word is often omitted in speech if it seems obvious. The Thai system of telling the time does have its own sort of logic, but it takes a while to get used to. It always seems especially odd to me that most Thai clocks have conventional Western­ style numerals, but a Thai asked the time will still look at the clock, on which the hour hand is quite clearly pointing at nine, and say “three”. If you think the girls in you office use Western Clock - you better think again. Lucky for you, they write the time in numbers - Arabic numbers that is, not Thai numbers. No words.

Falling asleep in the afternoon is quite popular when driving here. The other day i went and parked at Big C to do some shopping and parked in the undercover car park next to a pick-up with a Thai bloke snoring away inside with the window open and two empty beer bottles, one on the top of the dash and the other across his folded arm as he slept. I was gone just over an hour and when i returned he was still snoring and no doubt dreaming of the next case of beer. What sort of condition must he have been in when he drove out of that car park?

What sort of condition must he have been in when he drove out of that car park? Pleasantly pissed?burp.gif

Take a look at the buses early in the morning, they've just finished a nights sleep and they're all fast asleep again in the busses going to work in the morning. How come??? Normal people after waking up in the morning shower and eat breakfast to get them to lunchtime.

Thais do not eat breakfast until having clocked in at work, that way they're eating breakfast (bowl of rice one of the lowest energy producing) at the Boss' time. Get it??? So they sit in the busses with an empty stomach and of course no energy to keep them awake.

When you live in Thailand you have to live on Thai time – 76 million Thais are not going to change to GMT

The Thais split the clock into four periods and start counting from six. 6 am Western time is also 6 Thai time, but 7 am becomes 1, 8 am becomes 2, 9 am becomes 3, 10 am becomes 4, 11 am becomes 5 and 12 is noon, but can also be 12. Similarly, in the evening quarter, 6 pm is 6, but 7 pm becomes 1, 8 pm becomes 2, and so on.

There is an additional word before or after the number to make it clear which part of the day or night is meant, but the word is often omitted in speech if it seems obvious. The Thai system of telling the time does have its own sort of logic, but it takes a while to get used to. It always seems especially odd to me that most Thai clocks have conventional Western­ style numerals, but a Thai asked the time will still look at the clock, on which the hour hand is quite clearly pointing at nine, and say “three”. If you think the girls in you office use Western Clock - you better think again. Lucky for you, they write the time in numbers - Arabic numbers that is, not Thai numbers. No words.

Sorry but never heard anything like it clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry but never heard anything like it clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

.....then you don't know how to tell the time in Thai.

.....then you don't know how to tell the time in Thai.

No, ''Swerver'' doesn't know how to tell the time in Thai :rolleyes: