Stop Extorting Motorists, Traffic Police Told Again

geovalin

Khmer Times/May Titthara

Traffic police who extort bribes from motorists instead of issuing tickets for traffic violations could lose their jobs if they fail to reform, deputy national police chief General Choun Sovann warned yesterday. Gen. Sovann also said that while discipline had been improving in the force, some officers were continuing to abuse their positions by extorting cash from motorists.

The general, who is also Phnom Penh’s police chief, said traffic police had been convened to discuss the crime. They have been told that first-time offenders could see their rank downgraded, while repeat offenders will lose their jobs. Officers who extort cash from tourists will have to go through “reeducation” and could be transferred to desk jobs. They will be allowed to resume their jobs if their behavior improves, Gen. Sovann said.

Ron Rath Veasna, president of the General Department of Traffic Police and Public Order, said he had also warned his officers on numerous occasions that if they did not heed his call to abide by the law they will face administrative discipline from the National Police force. He also called on tourists who were forced to pay bribes to police to file complaints that contained the officer’s name and site at which the bribe was paid so that superior officers could reprimand them. Officers facing complaints of extortion are legally required to respond to them within five days of the report being filed, Mr. Rath Veasna said.

read more http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=187

I'm sure that will make an impact NOT - they've been saying this for years and it's the same situation at the borders. Extortion of extra charges from travellers is common at land border crossings and reportedly occasionally even at the airports. For traffic offenses, it's common to settle on the spot rather than getting issued a traffic ticket.

Of the few times I've been pulled over in Cambodia, mostly for made up offences, the option of a ticket has never been given to me and as a visitor who doesn't speak nor read Khmer (apart from Khmer numerals and a few other characters that are similar to Thai), it would be a great big hassle to pay a traffic ticket at a police station or elsewhere.

Just over a week ago I was driving my Thai car in PP, got pulled over. 1 cop thinks he's hit the jackpot as he reads my Thai number plate, says something (in Khmer) about something I did wrong (probably bs) as I was stopped just after driving around the Norodom roundabout where the independence monument is located. Second guy says "mai pen rai" wants $5, I offer $2 and we settle on $3. Annoying, but that's Cambodia.

yes its still prevalent at land crossings, i live near Prek Chak border, and yesterday had to get a visa for my GF (filipino), i asked a Khmer guy i work with to go and check the price for an E visa, he came back with 35 dollars, i said great , thats what the internet says, 5 mins later send my GF with him to get it , and now the price has gone to 45 dollars, so there was a standoff for a while , until the grumpy corrupt c...t finally said ok 40 dollars, ended up paying that. your right Ttt , annoying but thats Cambodia.