Civil servant denies copy-paste doctoral thesis was plagiarism

webfact

Wow, maybe I should pursue a PhD out here. I thought about doing it in my home country by distance, but I was worried it would suck up all my time - affecting both work and personal life for a significant time period. Now it seems I can basically just go to the library and pick out a few relevant books, cut and paste, pay the university and then get my Ph.D. Anybody on TVF who works at the universities who knows how much a Ph.D. would cost you?

Honestly, I am not surprised. My own academic field is history and the works I have seen so far from Thai academics has been in general very poor. Most of it is on the same level as many undergraduate works - not bad per se - but not really bringing any new evidence or insight.

The use of citations, quotations, critical historical methodology is virtually non existent as this example clearly shows. I have no problem with citations, but then you need make it absolutely clear.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“I didn’t plagiarize the book. I merely lifted the content for my use,” said Wattana,... “I cited him [Nithi] in the bibliography. I said clearly that I used Nithi’s work. I didn’t have enough wisdom to come up with that work on my own.”

Sadly, this a problem throughout the whole education system here. Copying is not seen as cheating, and letting people copy is not seen as helping them to cheat. The last sentence says it all. If this guy doesn't have enough wisdom, he shouldn't get the PhD!

It's not a unique Thai phenomenon. The use of easily researched internet sources has led to much copying and pasting from students at all levels.

Three German government politicians were stripped of their PhD's for similar plagiarizing.

Now, when submitting thesis texts to your review committees or forma assessment assignments most universities require you to run it through anti-plagiarizing soft ware and attach the report.

But, this university should never had awarded a PhD for a thesis that did not contain references throughout. Everything stated in a PhD needs to be supported and referenced, all arguments and discussions should be referenced and supported.

I also know of people who have submitted several drafts to their supervisors and it's clear they've been authored by more than one person and none are in the style of the person submitting! That practice was particularly rife in the ME where people hire Indian and Pakistanis to write their thesis - not only for universities but also even for professional body qualifications.

The education systems in all countries are having to be more vigilant.

Wow, maybe I should pursue a PhD out here. I thought about doing it in my home country by distance, but I was worried it would suck up all my time - affecting both work and personal life for a significant time period. Now it seems I can basically just go to the library and pick out a few relevant books, cut and paste, pay the university and then get my Ph.D. Anybody on TVF who works at the universities who knows how much a Ph.D. would cost you?

Honestly, I am not surprised. My own academic field is history and the works I have seen so far from Thai academics has been in general very poor. Most of it is on the same level as many undergraduate works - not bad per se - but not really bringing any new evidence or insight.

The use of citations, quotations, critical historical methodology is virtually non existent as this example clearly shows. I have no problem with citations, but then you need make it absolutely clear.

Not sure about history as that's not my field. But the notion that you can "buy" any degree you want from a real university is nonsense. PhD's are supervised by the MoE and they appoint one of the review committee and audit the procedures and will insist on the inclusion of things such as additional checkpoints on progress, formal tests to move from one year to the next etc. They also do not, AFAIK, allow the "grand theories" approach so the research needs justifying from the literature.

No doubt there are some Mickey Mouse places - just go down Khoasan Road and buy yourself one. Or try the many US / UK On-Line establishments that have a PO Box address, no buildings or academic staff and are registered in the Seychelles or somewhere similar. There was an Indian guy on LinkedIn once pontificating about his MBA & PhD from "Canterbury University in the UK". No such university exits, and it was a PO Box in the the North of England. He admitted for each he gave them his CV for "assessment" and was asked to write one small assignment in each case. Not research, references optional and no defenses.

They are probably still going in some form if you want a worthless title.

A real PhD will be very time consuming - I know several people here, Thai and Farang, who stopped after 1 or 2 years as they just couldn't cope with the time demands; and IME is actually more expensive than doing one in your home country. (Britain charges foreign students significantly more in tuition fees, but the Thais were paying the same price here).

I know several professors here, all of whom publish and speak internationally. So I wouldn't tar all with the same brush.

When Oak Shinawatra was caught carrying papers into an exam the Deputy Director of Ramkamheng Uni dismissed it as no big deal.

There was an outcry about cheating and how it was condoned but nothing happened and the issue, all aspects, died a very quick death.

On a personal note, at the last school I worked at I warned two students about talking during an exam and indicated they would be removed if they continued.

They complained to the dept head claiming they were only talking about ' personal things ' which she accepted and said was ok so surprise, surprise I was warned not to be so strict in future.

That's nothing. I caught a whole class studying the answers to a final that was listed in numerical order the same as the final. When I asked them where they got those answers they told me their Thai teacher gave it to them. It was her final test. When I reported it with the proof, I was told they would investigate. Later, they called me into their office and told me it was OK. They then proceeded to tell me I did the same when I reviewed using questions related to the final. Even though I never used test questions and never allowed my students to write it down, and certainly never reviewed in the same order as my test questions were. Studying for a final and reviewing is not the same as memorizing their answers that their Thai teacher gave out in a list.

I am told by teacher friends of mine, that it is very difficult to fail a bad student. The loss of face is too great. How sad. How weak. How pathetic. How utterly broke the Thai educational system is.

Clearly not compliant with Harvard recommendation on references and citations.

Perhaps the University has 'other standards'

One can only wonder what else was plagiarised? His standing in international community will be questioned I am sure if he tries to publish any of 'his own work'

I have to say I am 'shocked' that such a fine outstanding bastion of education would allow this to happen........NOT

Now how much was that PhD at Chatuchak?

Ummm..as cheap as the Teacher's degree in Khaosan road?

As a thesis reviewer for Thai Phd candidates I frequently must remind the authors that proper citations are required when using material directly from sources. The main goal for many Phd candidates seems to be the degree and not the knowledge obtained from the research, thus copying other's work is deemed acceptable. Universities appear to do very little about this and other cheating. This attitude prevents real progress in many fields of research, also many Phd holders become university lecturers. Is it any wonder Thailand lags far behind other ASEAN nations with regard to eduction.

Has it ever been a wonder?

He also questioned the intentions of the researcher who brought the matter to public attention.

This seems to be a major problem in Thailand - attack the person who reveals the crime... coffee1.gif

I'm surprised - amazed even - that he hasn't taken the person who exposed his cheating to court for damaging his reputation. That is the normal way things work in Thailand. Perhaps he hasn't thought of it yet.

Give it time, Lawyers with similar degrees will be consulting judges with similar degrees, who live in houses built by engineers with similar degrees, employing builders with similar degrees, who bank with bankers with similar degrees...........................

And yet. so many poorly-educated Thai women outsmart so many well-educated westerners.

Ah, but you are confusing street cunning with intelligence.

That aside, the object of public education is not to create well educated young adults, it is to create the appropriate mind set that the state is seeking.

Hence why western public education has fallen in quality. Remember seeing a test from early 1900s and it was far more difficult than today equivalent, even higher grades couldn't pass it.

Today western state education seeks to create malleable, non-objective thinking zombies that believe whatever they are told, as such it has been a resounding success.

Thailand also uses education to create the mind set they call Thainess. They have also achieved their goals. Consider is the goal to educate lateral and objective thinkers who will challenge the status quo?

Your PhD if gotten here will be worth the same as a few IGCSE's or an A/S in the UK system. I am not joking. The content is not far off the same. But you know that with your comment on your chosen field of History. What lacks in many aspects of higher education is that of literary arguments. Obviously this filters down to all aspects of Thai life, if you have been here long enough.

Your PhD if gotten here will be worth the same as a few IGCSE's or an A/S in the UK system. I am not joking. The content is not far off the same. But you know that with your comment on your chosen field of History. What lacks in many aspects of higher education is that of literary arguments. Obviously this filters down to all aspects of Thai life, if you have been here long enough.

Well plenty of western universities accept Thai students based on their bachelor's and master's. What does that say about the state of western education?

Edited by KhaoNiaw

A friend used to do work as a proof reader and he used the software available to detect plagiarism.

One paper he was given was from a teacher at a university who was trying to get a PhD and the paper concerned was almost completely copied from other sources.

When this was pointed out the teacher went ballistic and my friend was threatened with everything from defamation to hospitalisation and deportation.

The uni didn't want to know as the teacher was studying privately and it ' wasn't their business ' no matter what he was doing.

Copying etc is not only condoned those involved can expect to be protected which shows exactly the lack of standards and morals here.

My friend: apologies in advance for being bleak, but do you for one moment suspect this is an isolated case? How many PhD's are issued in Thailand that would stand the test of scrutiny outside of Thailand?

Sorry, genuine study of modern Thai history is not permitted in Thailand.

Sorry, genuine study of modern Thai history is not permitted in Thailand.

Not too easy either, when the majority of the important modern historical research is banned in country.

During my employment years I taught at the middle and high school level and then decades at the undergraduate level teaching American, European and Central American History in the U.S. At the high school level I was pressured to change a grade due to a parent complaint. My response was to tell the principal that he could change the grade but I held all students to the same criteria and so I would not change the grade. After my taking a later sabbatical, the principal had me transferred.

At the college level, I came under pressure for requiring my students know the material they were studying, including where the countries they studied were located and how to spell those country names correctly. There was discussion in administrative meetings of how to go about firing a fully tenured professor. Fortunately, I had substantial community and statewide faculty support in order to politically insulate myself from the intrigue. There is a definite reason for the need of tenure...the politics involved are ridiculous and cut throat.

My point is that there is no protection for the Thai teacher/professor requiring fair standards. The need for Thai education standard improvement is there but, as with the broader Thai way of doing things, teachers have no valid choices if they value their job.

Well plenty of western universities accept Thai students based on their bachelor's and master's. What does that say about the state of western education?

It appears to me that the question should be, of those Thai students being accepted in internationally accredited universities outside of Thailand...how do the Thai students perform, what if any, major hurdles do they face academically and how many after being accepted are able to continue successfully in their further studies.

A Doctorate means the holder has added to the body of knowledge through original research on a particular subject. That person is the formost knowledgable person on that subject internationally.

Funny, because I have helped check papers for both undergraduate and graduate Thai students, and they all had citations, references etc. and were all well structured and well written. I just checked them for spelling and grammar.

Yes, this guy cheated, but as usual TVF overgeneralizes and suddenly every Thai student can't write a paper. And of course every Thai academic can't write a paper well... jeez!!!

Edited by PremiumLane

Funny, because I have helped check papers for both undergraduate and graduate Thai students, and they all had citations, references etc. and were all well structured and well written. I just checked them for spelling and grammar.

Yes, this guy cheated, but as usual TVF overgeneralizes and suddenly every Thai student can't write a paper. And of course every Thai academic can't write a paper well... jeez!!!

With respect, you make it sound like cheating is not rampant at all academic levels in Thailand, and that Thai degrees (of whatever level) do (or should do) have credibility outside of Thailand, in a world which is assumed (with some evidence) to be less dishonest.

I think a reality check might be in order because that is not the prevailing opinion held by non-Thais, and one assumes that opinion originates in personal experience.

I'm sorry, but you are definitely the exception.

The problem is an epidemic at all levels of education in this country. I have written four textbooks and am constantly confronted with plagiarism of my work by mostly university professors here.

I submit the following well-written article by a Chiang Mai educator...

An excerpt from the below-cited article:

"In 2012, Thailand made national headlines when Supachai Lorlowhakarn, a high-profile government official rather ironically serving as the director of Thailand’s National Innovation Agency, was stripped of his doctorate title from Chulalongkorn University. The reason? A university investigation had determined that Supachai plagiarised 80 percent of the thesis that earned him his PhD."

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s135/sh/b5a868e7-ddc9-43b1-85c3-3921e17fc10c/859aa573df984eb5912506067c957499

Edited by Fookhaht

With respect, you make it sound like cheating is not rampant at all academic levels in Thailand, and that Thai degrees (of whatever level) do (or should do) have credibility outside of Thailand, in a world which is assumed (with some evidence) to be less dishonest.

I think a reality check might be in order because that is not the prevailing opinion held by non-Thais, and one assumes that opinion originates in personal experience.

Guess you didn't read the bit I said about over-generalizing then... and if Thai degrees are all so bad why are they accepted to get on to master degree courses in Western universities. So, maybe you need the reality check :)

And no I am not saying no cheating is going on, there is evidence that there is, but there is also evidence of well written papers, and Thais going to study further education abroad - but I guess facts get in the way of good old TVF Thai bashing.

The problem is an epidemic at all levels of education in this country. I have written four textbooks and am constantly confronted with plagiarism of my work by mostly university professors here.

"In 2012, Thailand made national headlines when Supachai Lorlowhakarn, a high-profile government official rather ironically serving as the director of Thailand’s National Innovation Agency, was stripped of his doctorate title from Chulalongkorn University. The reason? A university investigation had determined that Supachai plagiarised 80 percent of the thesis that earned him his PhD."

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1461252442.172373.jpg

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s135/sh/b5a868e7-ddc9-43b1-85c3-3921e17fc10c/859aa573df984eb5912506067c957499

I am aware of that case, so that makes two cases, damn it is an epidemic isn't it...clap2.gif

Yes, plagiarism sometimes happens here, yes it is bad, and yes there are stupid defamation rules that allows these idiots to sue the people who pull them up on their plagiarism.

But, and this is a big but, it doesn't mean that every Thai student can't write a decent academic paper, or that they are all busy plagiarizing everything... to think that is just asinine bordering on delusional

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1461252442.172373.jpg

I am aware of that case, so that makes two cases, damn it is an epidemic isn't it...clap2.gif

Yes, plagiarism sometimes happens here, yes it is bad, and yes there are stupid defamation rules that allows these idiots to sue the people who pull them up on their plagiarism.

But, and this is a big but, it doesn't mean that every Thai student can't write a decent academic paper, or that they are all busy plagiarizing everything... to think that is just asinine bordering on delusional

Just the 2 cases then? Or just the two highest profile and extreme cases in recent memory?

I think most people commenting on the Thai education system, and most people who have taught in the Thai education system would testify that cheating and plagiarism abound. To check this against the real world, we would ask ourselves if this fits with what else we know about Thais. Corruption, a lack of general honesty, cheating, stealing are all a part of the national modus operandi - or so I have reluctantly learned during my 11 years living here.

How many cases of plagiarism might you have missed while checking their spelling? Because, on balance, I think I will continue to assume that Thais lie cheat and steal, particularly from foreigners wherever possible but from other Thais if they have no other target. It's a less parlous course than assuming they're all honest and learning to the contrary the hard way. I assume you read the English-language papers here so I'm frankly puzzled why you haven't come across traces of Thai dishonesty. Still, perhaps you haven't been paying attention, that can happen.

Have you ever tried to get a job in Europe with a Thai Masters degree? I personally haven't but 3 of my close friends have, and they would argue that the degree is probably worth the paper it's written on but not much more. Certainly Thai degrees are not held in high regard by employers, though some Universities wanting to encourage the under-developed countries to upgrade their education might be prepared to accept money to assist in that noble cause. To fit financial or government targets perhaps.

Everyone filters new information they receive and checks it against what is already known, Associations and past personal or proxy experience are checked This is all done unconsciously so we aren't usually aware of it. Most western people I have spoken with associate Thais with academic dishonesty, so accepting your protestations to the contrary seems to be going against what else I already know, and accepting it might even be wilfully delusional.

But that;s just my opinion my friend. What you say does not agree with what the bulk of people say, so instead of trying to attack me for disagreeing with you, go attack the plethora of others who share my opinion, because frankly, I think my view is unassailable and I don't really care very much if you don't agree with me.

Have a nice day though. Have Thais never heard of English spell-checkers?

Edited by Winniedapu

Just the 2 cases then? Or just the two highest profile and extreme cases in recent memory?

I think most people commenting on the Thai education system, and most people who have taught in the Thai education system would testify that cheating and plagiarism abound. To check this against the real world, we would ask ourselves if this fits with what else we know about Thais. Corruption, a lack of general honesty, cheating, stealing are all a part of the national modus operandi - or so I have reluctantly learned during my 11 years living here.

How many cases of plagiarism might you have missed while checking their spelling? Because, on balance, I think I will continue to assume that Thais lie cheat and steal, particularly from foreigners wherever possible but from other Thais if they have no other target. It's a less parlous course than assuming they're all honest and learning to the contrary the hard way. I assume you read the English-language papers here so I'm frankly puzzled why you haven't come across traces of Thai dishonesty. Still, perhaps you haven't been paying attention, that can happen.

Have you ever tried to get a job in Europe with a Thai Masters degree? I personally haven't but 3 of my close friends have, and they would argue that the degree is probably worth the paper it's written on but not much more. Certainly Thai degrees are not held in high regard by employers, though some Universities wanting to encourage the under-developed countries to upgrade their education might be prepared to accept money to assist in that noble cause. To fit financial or government targets perhaps.

Everyone filters new information they receive and checks it against what is already known, Associations and past personal or proxy experience are checked This is all done unconsciously so we aren't usually aware of it. Most western people I have spoken with associate Thais with academic dishonesty, so accepting your protestations to the contrary seems to be going against what else I already know, and accepting it might even be wilfully delusional.

But that;s just my opinion my friend. What you say does not agree with what the bulk of people say, so instead of trying to attack me for disagreeing with you, go attack the plethora of others who share my opinion, because frankly, I think my view is unassailable and I don't really care very much if you don't agree with me.

Have a nice day though. Have Thais never heard of English spell-checkers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know Thais with only Thai degrees who work in multinational companies in the UK. And the FACTS are that there are thousands of Thais who have studied abroad and got on their courses with their Thai degrees, so there goes your dumb argument that all Thai degrees are useless.

I like to deal with facts, logic and reason, not dumb TV Thai bashing, but hey, I suppose you are the expert on education matters though...

And by the way, I had people check my academic papers, everyone does - you really are grasping at straws, aren't you.