Criminal record check for Non-Imm O-A visa (Canada/Vancouver)

Hi everyone

Long time reader but first time poster. First, let me say thanks to all; this forum is a great resource.

I will apply for a Non Imm O-A visa in Canada/Vancouver this summer. I think I have everything sorted (thanks to the Forum) except for the ‘criminal check’. Any Canadians out there who have gotten one of these documents? Could one of you walk me through the process?

1. Who do I contact? RCMP?
  2. How long does it take?
  3. Can I order it in advance? On-line?
  4. What information/documents do I need to provide?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Cheers

Why are you going through all that BS? If you come here on a 30 day visa and apply for you non O-A internally, NO Police checks and NO medicals. Its crazy, but it's a fact. I'm surprised nobody said as much already.

If you're worried you'll be somehow rejected, you can send for your shipped stuff (if any) later after youre in. It takes about 90 days from arrival to Visa granted, There are better sites for this info ironically...

Some guys may have done one bad thing in their youth and turned the page, it would be a shame to miss out on a visa because of something that happened years ago (BTW I'm squeaky clean, in fact an ex cop -with a liberal attitude!) plus they're getting snarky about all sorts of minutiae here so, best just show up asap and do it internally.

Finally, no matter what your record says, you'll pay handsomely for the exact same service in Canada you get here.

Hopefully some kinder soul on here will support these statements for your peace of mind. Caveat! I arrived 3 years ago, things MAY have changed, but I'd still chance it from here, too much at stake not to risk the airfare.

You will (from memory) have to stay here for the initial 90 days of course, but you can get an inexpensive short-term condo, vs tourist hotel, learn some thai, sort out your bank account, decide if it's REALLY for you, and so forth. PM me for the exact step by step details I posted on another site when I did my O-A.

Edited by dhream

You cannot apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa in Thailand.

You can apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement at Immigration in Thailand.

No medical or police report needed. Same financial requirements.

You would need to arrive in Thailand with any Non Imm Visa.

Failing that you could arrive with a Tourist Visa and get it converted to a Non Imm O Visa in Bangkok.

That would take 2 visits.

Following that you apply for the 12 month extension.

Leaving Canada without any Visa means you would probably be refused entry to the flight without an onward ticket within 30 days.

Edited by Eclipse

Thanks for the reply.

I am under the impression that the Non Imm O-A is only available from outside the country/ from your own country.

How could you get a Non Imm O-A from inside Thailand?

Cheers

You cannot. Read my post.

Troll post removed / Edited

If you can help the OP, by all means post the info. If you can not reply to posted information in a polite, respectful manner than expect to be Warned or Suspended. Reply to the post, do not attack the poster.

• Like 1

You cannot apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa in Thailand.

You can apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement at Immigration in Thailand.

No medical or police report needed. Same financial requirements.

You would need to arrive in Thailand with any Non Imm Visa.

Failing that you could arrive with a Tourist Visa and get it converted to a Non Imm O Visa in Bangkok.

That would take 2 visits.

Following that you apply for the 12 month extension.

Leaving Canada without any Visa means you would probably be refused entry to the flight without an onward ticket within 30 days.

Here we go, its always like this on here!

Eclipse, unless you did EXACTLY what I did, but at a later date (and you have not clarified that) then you are only confusing an already confusing issue!

The facts are, one arrives like any tourist, and get a 30 day right of entry.

As I said, unless things HAVE CHANGED one certainly CAN apply for it here. it is In my passport in red and blue ink!

A OA visa cannot applied for in Thailand. They are only issued by embassies and consulates in a persons home country. Only an extension of stay based upon retirement can be applied for here.

It is possible to enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry and apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration and few nearby offices. You must have 15 days remaining on your entry to apply. It takes two trips to immigration to get the visa/entry stamps. Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you can apply for the extension at your local immigration office.

If you did your first extension application more than 2 years ago you might of been able to get the non immigrant visa at another office besides Bangkok. Things have changed.

• Like 1

If you are talking about an O-A versus an straight O visa, and the difference is not having to do an extension -which is all of one morning at immigration, for one extra year, and you think it is worth it, then that's OK.

I did miss that distinction, in the original post, but that does not make me outright wrong.

Nonetheless, I will apologise for not reading carefully the first time.

Just bear in mind you'll be adding way more expense and way more time up front than the benefits you'll get by 'skipping' one extension in your first two years.

Since Eclipse would not clarify that at time of posting, I thought I would.

Giving wrong information helps no body.

Please resist.

Will you please just clarify why I am wrong, it is unhelpful to everyone if you start an argument, just because you have some unknown need to be seen to be right.

I am more than willing to stand down if you can provide the information I have asked you for everal times.

Where is it?

Have a look at post number 5 which contains the correct information to obtain a twelve month extension based on retirement in Thailand.

This is what you did.

The op clearly states that he would prefer to get a Non Imm O-A Visa which he can only obtain in his country of residence.

The official rule for retirement extensions.

2.22 In the case of retirement:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

Please resist.

Will you please just clarify why I am wrong, it is unhelpful to everyone if you start an argument, just because you have some unknown need to be seen to be right.

I am more than willing to stand down if you can provide the information I have asked you for everal times.

Where is it?

Have a look at post number 5 which contains the correct information to obtain a twelve month extension based on retirement in Thailand.

This is what you did.

The op clearly states that he would prefer to get a Non Imm O-A Visa which he can only obtain in his country of residence.

The alien:

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

You are correct, wouldn't it have been simpler and more pleasant for everyone just to have gotten right to the point?

I was too eager to help, and did miss the important O-A vs O request.

I also checked my passport, and I have a O visa not an O-A visa, so I was wrong out the gate as well. I'm willing to eat crow on that, lesson learned.

It's a deeper concern for me because I've been doing that a lot lately, glossing over details and jumping to conclusions. And, getting riled over little things...

I apologise for my mis-reading leading to confusion, and for jumping in 'pot calling the kettle black', have a nice evening.

Edited by dhream
  • Like 1

Please resist.

Where is it?

This is what you did.

The alien:

Sorry but in item 5 what is meant by annual earnings and fluids?

I intend to leave 800k in an account and just leave t there for all the years I need an extension.

Do I need to show movement in the account or that the money has come from abroad each year?

If not can I just deposit the 800k and forget about it for the next 20 years and effectively write it of as the cost of staying here indefinetely

Please resist.

Where is it?

This is what you did.

The alien:

You are correct, wouldn't it have been simpler and more pleasant for everyone just to have gotten right to the point?

I was too eager to help, and did miss the important O-A vs O request.

I also checked my passport, and I have a O visa not an O-A visa, so I was wrong out the gate as well. I'm willing to eat crow on that, lesson learned.

It's a deeper concern for me because I've been doing that a lot lately, glossing over details and jumping to conclusions. And, getting riled over little things...

I apologise for my mis-reading leading to confusion, and for jumping in 'pot calling the kettle black', have a nice evening.

No worries, you were trying to help and that is appreciated.

Have a nice evening back!

It's the same in every country - a Federal Police Clearance.

Google RCMP - I'm sure you can do this online.

False. Los Angeles Thai Consulate accepts local police checks. Feds don't need to be involved.

Edit: For the OP, have you considered contacting the Vancouver consulate directly with the question? Might save some time instead of waiting for someone from the home country to respond here.

Edited by Diplomatico