This really is a rant

james24

Hey guys

Tonight I realised how racist some Thais (in a group) can be racist outside of Thailand.

I'm originally from uk but lived in Sydney for the past few years. I lived in Thailand 6 years previous to that. Tonight I witnessed my first blatent Thai racism outside of Thailand.

I went to a bar with 5 Bangladeshi lads who I have studied with (all completed bachelors in accounting & law ) which happened to be a predominantly Thai person bar. After being asked to vacate a table for some random Thais to sit down they then wouldn't allow for us to stand at the bar. After going to the gambling hall they then asked to leave the area and stand outside to which they then locked us out : bear in mind this was our first drink there ; third of the night.

The lads I wad with were dark skinned and observing the way they spoke to my friends I could really see how deep this nonsense goes. In a country outside of certain things we all know is true about the land of smiles , to see that openly was gut-wrenching.

I know it's only a small minority that think like this but bringing it over to oz and perhaps the uk ( to add to what is already there) is quite hurtful. And yes it's everywhere but to see bar and restaurant staff doing this was a bit too much.

This isnt the first time I've spoke to a "Thai" bar in Sydney about this, in fact it's the 3rd, are some "white" Thais really that moddy coddled ?

Not doubting your story but I have not seen it myself, never seen a majority only thai bar in Sydney either

Anywhere past Central on Pitt St, quite a few around.

Thing is I never thought I'd see it this blatent. After living in Thailand it just seemed so "Thai"; my friends could be confused with Malaysian but it was literally an experience I had never had before , even in Thailand. Was really upset for them as they could clearly feel it and for no reason. It was literally like half the bar jumped on the bandwagon,real shame as I hv so many Thai friends that would be embarrassed to do that

Perhaps it's Sydney...

" know it's only a small minority that think like this but bringing it over to oz and perhaps the uk ( to add to what is already there) is quite hurtful"

Think you can leave the UK out of this, rarely see Thai guys drinking socially in bars here, though of course racists abound. Certainly could think of bars where ethnic minorities would probably be better off not going but hard to imagine a bar that welcomed Thai's but had a cold shoulder policy towards other ethnic groups. Might be an aussie thing ?

Also have to admit I know a Wetherspoons in a shopping complex that closed down primarily because it attracted a lot of South Asian's that tended not to drink but took up a lot of table space with a couple of cokes between them.

Edited by roamer