Music world in shock as Prince dies suddenly aged 57

webfact

He was a great songwriter, a great singer, played several instruments with virtuosity, had a few great albums, and sold over 100 million records. I saw him in concert, and he was a great showman, who put on a stunning performance. How anyone can refer to him as average, or mediocre is beyond me. If you don't like him, ok? But, the facts are the facts. This guy was a genius. And he did make a difference.

I have one question for his detractors? What have you done to influence the world lately?

Trolled on TV [emoji4]

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two of the silliest ever responses on here are, if you don't like it in Thailand go home, and this one, what have you done to influence the world lately and variations of the same. Get things in perspective, people are not talking about a world leader or somebody like Steve Jobs, but somebody who just wrote and performed songs. Prince did not change the world and was not a 'genius' to claim he was is an insult to the very few who actually are, and almost none of those are popular performers.

Myself? Nothing.

However I do have a couple of heroes.

One was a guy who lost his left leg in an accident and went back to work and brought up a family succesfully when a great many would have sat back and relied on others. Refused absolutely to use a wheel chair and just got on with life. Ended up in fairly high managerial position and provided all that was needed by the family.

Couldn't sing or write music but he was my father.

Two of the silliest ever responses on here are, if you don't like it in Thailand go home, and this one, what have you done to influence the world lately and variations of the same. Get things in perspective, people are not talking about a world leader or somebody like Steve Jobs, but somebody who just wrote and performed songs. Prince did not change the world and was not a 'genius' to claim he was is an insult to the very few who actually are, and almost none of those are popular performers.

You do realise people are talking of him as a "genius" in musical terms don't you? For which he was.

What's making the detractors look stupid is that we've seen him being called talentless, overrated, and mediocre for which he is clearly not.

By all means dislike him, his dress sense and his music, but when people spout nonsense it clearly shows they know nothing about music. I don't particularly like Jazz, but can clearly see the talent that these musicians have.

Seriously dude you are entitled to your opinion but that does not make it a fact.

We are talking about a musical genius not a world leader. Prince was a genius and master of music. Do you know what he could do or any of his accomplishments? What are you a master of?

A different genre of course but in two hundred years people will still listen to Beethoven,Tchaikovsky,Motzart etc but nobody will know who Prinz was in twenty

In 20 years they will. Maybe not as high as the musicans you listed or the Beatles or Stones, but on the next tier.

He will be far remembered than 99% of the rubbish that gets thrown out today for which probably only Adele will be remembered and though talented she is, only has a small amount of the talent that Prince had.

Public acclamation of people, call them genius hero or whatever, has changed over time, it now has to be politically correct to be accepted. In the past you could be hailed as the great general who won the battle by slaughtering 20,000 of the enemy. He was then a great person.

Now they have to proclaim faintly talented pop stars as people who change the world and unfortunately the vast majority of the great unwashed accept it as being real or some smart one jump on the idea for their own benefit,financially, and keep their own gravy train rolling.

So what are your musical geniuses of our last half century in your opinion...?

Anneka Rice on Radio 2 played a track by Prince this morning and a track by Jamiroquai. In my completely indifferent and unbiased opinion, the track by Jamiroquai was superior in every department.

I dare say Prince was a genius in his showmanship, but not in his music.

No, I'm saying that many faintly talented so called stars are promoted by people smart enough to convince others that they are talented because it gets the promoter and the so called star more money.

Lots of people out there believe the hype before the reality.

Thais have a more down to earth attitude to their music stars, although there are one or two a bit up themselves, anybody carrying on like Prince, Jackson and a few of the other prima donas would soon be laughed off the stage. After all they are only singers songwriters and entertainers, not the gods some of them seem to think they are. Thai artists behavior to their fans is also far better and closer than most western performers.

Ooooooh...now I get it: you are a comedian!

Thais recon E-class actors, you over-mime themselves through horrible soap- operas as "superstars"!

Thais actually think, the outside world cares about Carabao or Sek Loso, when these guys should not be allowed in the same city with Prince, Springsteen, Jackson or others!

Do us all a favor: take your hatred of Prince and leave this thread for the people who a) care and B) know what they are talking about!

Thais have a more down to earth attitude to their music stars, although there are one or two a bit up themselves, anybody carrying on like Prince, Jackson and a few of the other prima donas would soon be laughed off the stage. After all they are only singers songwriters and entertainers, not the gods some of them seem to think they are. Thai artists behavior to their fans is also far better and closer than most western performers.

Thais recon E-class actors, you over-mime themselves through horrible soap- operas as "superstars"!

Thais actually think, the outside world cares about Carabao or Sek Loso, when these guys should not be allowed in the same city with Prince, Springsteen, Jackson or others!

Do us all a favor: take your hatred of Prince and leave this thread for the people who a) care and cool.png know what they are talking about!

You seem to have trouble reading, I wrote music stars and not 4th rate 'actors'. Nobody 'hates' Prince and his ilk, it just gets tiresome and trite that when almost anyone above average dies in the western pop music world they are instantly deified as icons, geniuses and world changers, they are only in the minds of their fans. Thais actually do not think the world cares about it's artists as they have a far more realistic approach to so called stardom of musicians. As for Carabao or Mr Lo So I don't rate them much and I don't think they will suffer the same idiotic adulation when they snuff it, Thais have a bit more sense in these matters. But they do have an artist of the nation system which grants them a pension for life, 25 k a month now I think, there have been concerts at Sunam Luang this week featuring some of them. People need to grow up a bit when comments on singers talents are discussed, they are only human, not gods.

Edited by thai3

I do listen to music and enjoy it but I listen to what I like to listen to not some 'Tat' that someone else tries to convince is wonderful when to me it's manufactured electronically to cover up the lack of talent of many second rate self important pop star who is misguided enough to believe his crap musical or spoken is changing the world.

Music is subjective but people here are taliking as if it's objective. How farcical.

Prince never played to the crowd. He did his own thing. So naturally, old farts dont like him.

Artists like Prince are few and far between. Bitter, disgruntled farts are ten a penny.

Edited by pedro01

Do us all a favor: take your hatred of Prince and leave this thread for the people who a) care and cool.png know what they are talking about!

You seem to have trouble reading, I wrote music stars and not 4th rate 'actors'. Nobody 'hates' Prince and his ilk, it just gets tiresome and trite that when almost anyone above average dies in the western pop music world they are instantly deified as icons, geniuses and world changers, they are only in the minds of their fans. Thais actually do not think the world cares about it's artists as they have a far more realistic approach to so called stardom of musicians. As for Carabao or Mr Lo So I don't rate them much and I don't think they will suffer the same idiotic adulation when they snuff it, Thais have a bit more sense in these matters. But they do have an artist of the nation system which grants them a pension for life, 25 k a month now I think, there have been concerts at Sunam Luang this week featuring some of them. People need to grow up a bit when comments on singers talents are discussed, they are only human, not gods.

Prince was not average by any measure.

Personal attacks without any evidence of why his was a genius just personifies the weakness of the besotted fans argument. Lets have some examples of why he was a genius and how he changed the world, as some claim.

Yes pretentious is the right word for him I think. Did not think i's watch all of this but found it very interesting from a man who made a documentary for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc

Yes thanks for posting this video.

Interesting.

Both Prince and the film maker come across as pretentious, self centered and selfish.

Edited by zombie nights

Prince was not average by any measure.

I'll agree with that. For me he was for sure not average.

Personal attacks without any evidence of why his was a genius just personifies the weakness of the besotted fans argument. Lets have some examples of why he was a genius and how he changed the world, as some claim.

YOU would never understand.............coffee1.gif

Its not worth arguing with this person. Its becoming more apparent he is just trolling. Something that should be stopped.

The music world and ourselves know how talented Prince actually was. Small minded people's attitudes and biases dont matter in this conversation. Arguing with some of these idiots is worthless.

How many artists do you know that:

Write their own songs

Can play guitar like Hendrix

Can sing Baritone and falsetto

Can play all the instruments on a track

Stay relevant for decades

Eskew commercial success (spat with warner) in favor of artistic endeavor

Write songs for other people that skyrocket their careers

Not many. Hence the genuis moniker

Yes pretentious is the right word for him I think. Did not think i's watch all of this but found it very interesting from a man who made a documentary for him

Never heard of him.

What songs did he write ?

whistling.gif

, I do listen to music everyday as well and have been to over 1200 concerts just in Thailand, so i might have some idea.

cheesy.gif ...WOW....1200.....WOW.....Did you get Elvis autograph........cheesy.gif

What are you talking about he never came to Thailand, but i met Jerry Hopkins once in Bangkok who wrote the best biography on him, never got his autograph either, shucks whistling.gif

Yes I do know that very well, especially in a Thai context but nobody has denied the effect Prince has on his besotted fans, what was at issue I thought were claims that he was a genius. I asked for some proof of that. All we have seen in response are low level personal attacks and silly sarcasm. if fans cannot be bothered to put up a case for him without reverting to this and not take him seriously enough to say anything beyond what comes across as a tanturm, well that's just disappointing.

Yes I do know that very well, especially in a Thai context but nobody has denied the effect Prince has on his besotted fans, what was at issue I thought were claims that he was a genius. I asked for some proof of that. All we have seen in response are low level personal attacks and silly sarcasm. if fans cannot be bothered to put up a case for him without reverting to this and not take him seriously enough to say anything beyond what comes across as a tanturm, well that's just disappointing.

Plenty of facts on the internet to prove our points. Research it yourself, we arent your personal servants and we dang sure dont need to provide you "proof" of anything. For the record, if you would read the posts on this thread you would see "proof" but, since you cant seem to grasp what we are saying and just reading, I dont know why we would think you would value any of the information anyways.

The bind will never see.............smile.png

Total non argument as expected, as you cannot, or will not put up, i guess that's your contribution done then.

So we have a few songs he wrote for other people, and???? hundreds of people write successful songs over the years and are not touted as a genius, so I ask again where is the evidence he was a musical genius, successful is not the same as genius. What did he create or innovate that nobody had before and which left a real impact on music?

Throwing the word genius around just devalues the word and the culture, seems like everyone these days is a 'genius'

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/02/why-dont-more-people-call-beyonce-a-genius/273204/

Edited by thai3

I'm just waiting for a clearly defined example of how he changed the world.

Had an effect on global warming, stopped a war in Africa, gave the world something that actually improved other peoples lives(not other pop stars)

He was a pop star, nothing more, nothing less.

It would be easy to list people who did change things in the world.

Eddison, Teslar, a large number of research chemists and doctors who are still working to help and change this for the benefit of many.

Please don't put this unimportant pop star in the same playing field.