Music world in shock as Prince dies suddenly aged 57

webfact

I'm just waiting for a clearly defined example of how he changed the world.

Had an effect on global warming, stopped a war in Africa, gave the world something that actually improved other peoples lives(not other pop stars)

He was a pop star, nothing more, nothing less.

It would be easy to list people who did change things in the world.

Eddison, Teslar, a large number of research chemists and doctors who are still working to help and change this for the benefit of many.

Please don't put this unimportant pop star in the same playing field.

Either you cannot or refuse to read which, I dont know. MUSIC WORLD! Its the first two words in the title of this thread. Edited by 2fishin2

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh go on do try the challenge, I do listen to music everyday as well and have been to over 1200 concerts just in Thailand, so i might have some idea.

We might have an explanation here: "...have been to over 1200 concerts just in Thailand..."

No wonder you can not tell average music and true talent apart!

Yes I do know that very well, especially in a Thai context but nobody has denied the effect Prince has on his besotted fans, what was at issue I thought were claims that he was a genius. I asked for some proof of that. All we have seen in response are low level personal attacks and silly sarcasm. if fans cannot be bothered to put up a case for him without reverting to this and not take him seriously enough to say anything beyond what comes across as a tanturm, well that's just disappointing.

It has been given and you ignored it.

I'm just waiting for a clearly defined example of how he changed the world.

Had an effect on global warming, stopped a war in Africa, gave the world something that actually improved other peoples lives(not other pop stars)

He was a pop star, nothing more, nothing less.

It would be easy to list people who did change things in the world.

Eddison, Teslar, a large number of research chemists and doctors who are still working to help and change this for the benefit of many.

Please don't put this unimportant pop star in the same playing field.

Either you cannot or refuse to read which, I dont know. MUSIC WORLD! Its the first two words in the title of this thread.

Maybe, but it's still not that important. Well,ok, it might be to the promoters of all the 'Goodbye to prince' concerts that are going to happen to make a lot more money out of the people who will be daft enough to pay lots of money to go.

But, as they are fond of saying here 'Up to you'

You may have gathered by this time he didn't impress me.

@ soalbundy,

How come when I sing Blue Suede Shoes in LOS they know the song and dance, the song must be 60 years old...

Your use of the word 'pathetic' relates to yourself perfectly as you have no idea what music is about...

not many words to remember with blue sued shoes

Well they say there are about 2000 songs in his private vault. So should be listening to them for years. After whoever thinks they own them sue whoever should own them.

Like I said before. I dont think it will play out as drugs......It will be pneumonia leading to a heart attack.

I always have liked Prince. For as huge as he was he was pretty low key and after he got into The God thing so big he gave up the entertainment lifestyle.....about ten years sobriety they say........

@ soalbundy,

How come when I sing Blue Suede Shoes in LOS they know the song and dance, the song must be 60 years old...

Your use of the word 'pathetic' relates to yourself perfectly as you have no idea what music is about...

not many words to remember with blue sued shoes

Your best reply....Oh well.......coffee1.gif

duby dua innit

Here's an idea.

Just release all those 2000 songs/recordings on you tube and let everyone hear them for free. I'm sure there is enough in the coffers to pay for that. A gift to his fans from a man who has found God.

That would change the 'Music World'

a poseur, a phony, vacuous 80's schlock ..... Isn't that almost the definition of a "pop star"?! thumbsup.gif

He sure must have pissed people off by how he dressed. However a person who composes his own music, writes the lyrics, then plays it solo, as in plays every instrument in the recording studio for the cd has to be somewhat talented. You wonder how many in the good old days, or present day, could have done that?

Great point, as the good old days artists didn't. They used quality shadow musicians such as the Wrecking Crew out West and East or the Funk brothers for Motown. So, don't waste your time; these folks are clueless to talent and, most likely, are very jealous and resentful of it.

I once asked a guy 'do you like music'?

He replied no, I can't stand it !

I was shocked to say the least.

I gave him a very wide birth after that.

I couldn't imagine a world without music

It's a universal language,and I hold it very dear to my heart.

Not resentful or jealous of anyone who has any talent but I am entitled to say whether or not I like what they produce as a result of their talent.

I sure don't have follow the herd and blindly 'like' everything one particular person puts out. Nor do I feel the need to raise a pop singer to the position of a person of influence.

I once asked a guy 'do you like music'?

He replied no, I can't stand it !

I was shocked to say the least.

I gave him a very wide birth after that.

I couldn't imagine a world without music

It's a universal language,and I hold it very dear to my heart.

was he a Muslim? many think music is haram and forbidden rolleyes.gif

Not resentful or jealous of anyone who has any talent but I am entitled to say whether or not I like what they produce as a result of their talent.

I sure don't have follow the herd and blindly 'like' everything one particular person puts out. Nor do I feel the need to raise a pop singer to the position of a person of influence.

Attacking a poster who disagrees with their hyped up opinion is routine. So, we have had no evidence at all that he was a genius, some even think Beyonce is one as well, up to them, but it does not make it so. Being able to write a decent song, play several instruments, be a prodigy or a virtuoso, these are all talents NOT genius. The word has been over used so much as to be almost meaningless these days.

Prince wasn't just a genius or an idol, he was my musical idol's idol and his influence and legacy is probably as big as they will come in our lifetime. Just like there will never be another Michael Jackson in our lifetime, there will never be anyone as talented, mysterious and obsessed with music as Prince was.

Attacking a poster who disagrees with their hyped up opinion is routine. So, we have had no evidence at all that he was a genius, some even think Beyonce is one as well, up to them, but it does not make it so. Being able to write a decent song, play several instruments, be a prodigy or a virtuoso, these are all talents NOT genius. The word has been over used so much as to be almost meaningless these days.

Absolutely.

This is a sad thread, not only because of the content but the responses.

I never really got into Prince but until the last decade i was never really sure of what he had truly contributed to an industry that we seldom go without listening to whether directly or indirectly each day.

I have no doubt Prince was a genius. All of you who say no , Einstein, Hawkins blah blah blah you are wrong. Please think of genius as representing all those in a specific science or art or indeed a profession.

Einstein is just one type of genius. There are many many mathematicians in the world and we acknowledge the ones at the top of the tree as Genius. Why not musicians? There are millions of musicians, but prince wrote, composed and played, he even inspired genres to come into existance. He played guitar as good as anyone on the planet has ever done, clapton, Hendrix, Prince was an incredible guitarist and that is acknowledged by the likes of Clapton.

Compared to all musicians in the world he was amongst the top of the tree - a genius. I have no issue as one poster has of referring to someone like Ronaldo or Messe as a genius, but that is in THEIR field ( no pun intended)They know nothing about quantum entanglement but neither could Einstein entertain 1 billion football fans world wide at a cup final. It is perspective, Einstein/Prince -Apples and Pears but both Geniuses in their own right in their own areas of expertise.

Quit the bitching, listen to his stuff and look at a list of all the songs he has composed. I bet you anything he has composed some of your favourite songs and you never even have known it.

A great loss to a world made better by music.

Edited by Andaman Al

But you have not given us any hard evidence why we should consider him a genius over just talented, do you have any? What did he do that was truly original as far as just the music goes.? Does anyone seriously suggest this infantile stuff is genius?

I never meant to cause you any sorrow
I never meant to cause you any pain
I only wanted to one time to see you laughing
I only wanted to see you
Laughing in the purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain
Purple rain, purple rain
Purple rain, purple rain
I only wanted to see you
Bathing in the purple rain

I never wanted to be your weekend lover
I only wanted to be some kind of friend
Baby, I could never steal you from another
It's such a shame our friendship had to end

Purple rain, purple rain
Purple rain, purple rain
Purple rain, purple rain
I only wanted to see you
Underneath the purple rain

Honey, I know, I know
I know times are changing
It's time we all reach out
For something new, that means you too

You say you want a leader
But you can't seem to make up your mind
I think you better close it
And let me guide you to the purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain
Purple rain, purple rain
If you know what I'm singing about up here
C'mon, raise your hand

Purple rain, purple rain
I only want to see you
Only want to see you
In the purple rain

Edited by thai3

This is a sad thread, not only because if the content but the responses.

I never really got into Prince but until the last decade i was never really sure of what he had truly contributed to an industry that we seldom go without listening to whether directly or indirectly each day.

I have no doubt Prince was a genius. All of you who say no , Einstein, Hawkins blah blah blah you are wrong. Please think of genius as representing all those in a specific science or art or indeed a profession.

Einstein is just one type of genius. There are many many mathematicians in the world and we acknowledge the ones at the top of the tree as Genius. Why not musicians? There are millions of musicians, but prince wrote, composed and played, he even inspired genres to come into existance. He played guitar as good as anyone on the planet has ever done, clapton, Hendrix, Prince was an incredible guitarist and that is acknowledged by the likes of Clapton.

Compared to all musicians in the world he was amongst the top of the tree - a genius. I have no issue as one poster has of referring to someone like Ronaldo or Messe as a genius, but that is in THEIR field. They no nothing about quantum entanglement but neither could Einstein entertain 1 billion football fans world wide at a cup final. It is perspective, Einstein/Prince -Apples and Pears but both Geniuses in their own right in their own areas of expertise.

Quit the bitching, listen to his stuff and look at a list of all the songs he has composed. I bet you anything he has composed some of your favourite songs and you never even have known it.

A great loss to a world made better by music.

Agree but still not comfortable with using the word genius, at least give me that.

To answer some other posters.

Don't ask about the state I'm in

I can't sing I aint pretty

and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you

I might not give the answer that you want me to

LP

I dare say Prince was a genius in his showmanship, but not in his music.

You have hit the nail on the head. I am not saying he had no talent - he did - but I object to the word "genius". The Beatles were geniuses. The Rolling Stones were geniuses. Prince was not in their category at all - not even close.

Compare their ENTIRE CATALOG to his and Prince is like a pimple on their butts. He had ONE LP and a few songs that were anywhere close to their rarified company. The rest of his catalog does not even come close to measuring up to the giants. He was a good B grade musician - not at the very top.

Edited by Ulysses G.

A different genre of course but in two hundred years people will still listen to Beethoven,Tchaikovsky,Motzart etc but nobody will know who Prinz was in twenty

How do you know...........?

Perhaps folks with your view thought the same about Elvis, Beatles, even Sinatra. The world remembers their stuff today..

Couple of weeks back I sang Elvis version of My Way, all the Thai folk knew the song and loved it...giggle.gif

Assumptions on music OR the vocalist is in the hands of us humans, not just your view on stuff..smile.png

Hardly historical yet, anyone remember a popular singer from 1910 or a popular song for that matter. I loved the Beatles in my youth now listening to them is like reading an old newspaper, there is no substance in even the best pop song that could keep it alive more than 20 years.

Lucky that yourre sooo wrong (for me.) as songs written over 20 years ago really do have a life!

Ironically My grandad DID write number 1 hit in 1910 and I have the sheet music right here.....but of course it's impossible or remember as there are no recordings available .....

But you have not given us any hard evidence why we should consider him a genius over just talented, do you have any? What did he do that was truly original as far as just the music goes.? Does anyone seriously suggest this infantile stuff is genius?

I never meant to cause you any sorrow

I never meant to cause you any pain

I only wanted to one time to see you laughing

I only wanted to see you

Laughing in the purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain

I only wanted to see you

Bathing in the purple rain

I never wanted to be your weekend lover

I only wanted to be some kind of friend

Baby, I could never steal you from another

It's such a shame our friendship had to end

Purple rain, purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain

I only wanted to see you

Underneath the purple rain

Honey, I know, I know

I know times are changing

It's time we all reach out

For something new, that means you too

You say you want a leader

But you can't seem to make up your mind

I think you better close it

And let me guide you to the purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain

If you know what I'm singing about up here

C'mon, raise your hand

Purple rain, purple rain

I only want to see you

Only want to see you

In the purple rain

Troll!

Ever heard about "context matters"?

Your infantile comments are a disgrace to adults!

Why did you even come to this thread?

Just to be condescending to people, the guy mattered to?

Public acclamation of people, call them genius hero or whatever, has changed over time, it now has to be politically correct to be accepted. In the past you could be hailed as the great general who won the battle by slaughtering 20,000 of the enemy. He was then a great person.

Now they have to proclaim faintly talented pop stars as people who change the world and unfortunately the vast majority of the great unwashed accept it as being real or some smart one jump on the idea for their own benefit,financially, and keep their own gravy train rolling.

You sound like a very angry and bitter person.

LP

I dare say Prince was a genius in his showmanship, but not in his music.

You have hit the nail on the head. I am not saying he had no talent - he did - but I object to the word "genius". The Beatles were geniuses. The Rolling Stones were geniuses. Prince was not in their category at all - not even close.

Compare their ENTIRE CATALOG to his and Prince is like a pimple on their butts. He had ONE LP and a few songs that were anywhere close to their rarified company. The rest of his catalog does not even come close to measuring up to the giants. He was a good B grade musician - not at the very top.

A B grade musician. That just shows that you have no idea what you are talking about. Look at his guitar playing in some of the songs posted at the start of this thread. Nothing B grade about that.

So sad to see that a thread about a great artist has been hijacked by a bunch of angry old trolls. Pathetic people.

Do try to discuss the subject without reverting to cliches and insulting posters. One thing I did admire Prince for was his control of his material, others could learn a lot from how he managed to do that. I'm sure people on here would support him in that and not agree with the downloading of stolen music and MV's, because that is what it is, theft. I don't see anyone angry on this thread, some frustrated fans perhaps who have been unable to articulate why they see him as a music genius. Sorry I refuse to read the Guardian as it's a leftist liberal rag, but I can imagine it's full of multicultural praise and waxes lyrically about his influence and legacy, or how they imagine it.

Edited by thai3