Instagram drama: Soap star deletes photos of Hermes bags after furore over customs duty

webfact

Instagram drama: Soap star deletes photos of Hermes bags after furore over customs duty
By Coconuts Bangkok

min_0.jpg

According to scientists, shopping makes us happy

BANGKOK: -- Which begs the question, how ecstatic would you be after buying a dozen Hermes bags and accessories for your upcoming birthday?

Famous Channel 7 soap actress Pechaya "Min" Wattanamontri could be about to have her happiness cut short after she posted photos of herself with a number of the luxurious orange bags and boxes on her Instagram yesterday, with the caption "My birthday present from me!!"

Not only did her photos create a buzz among fans who adore her luxurious lifestyle, but they also raised a few questions as to how she cleared the Hermes items through Thai Customs.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/04/21/instagram-drama-soap-star-deletes-photos-hermes-bags-after-furore-over-customs-duty

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-04-22

In response to the photos, Thai Customs Department Director-General Kulit Sombatsiri insisted that officers had not neglected their duties and they did not detect any irregularity upon her arrival to Bangkok.

He said that if the goods appear to be used, they do not fall under the customs law, Teenee Entertain reported.

I bet she used all 12 of them purses in Singapore, they must look like a bangkok street now.

Some TG cabin staff do a roaring trade in pre-purchased handbags, supplementing their income up to 10x. Further, they shop at duty/VAT-free shops in Europe further minimizing their costs. Typically they operate web-sites, or on FB, and take a small deposit (less than 50%). They are also able to get hard to find styles, colors, etc.

Thailand should probably lower the import duty on many items, raising overall spend in country, as they'd generate much more on VAT than they do on import duty, by increasing local sales to both the wealthy Thais and foreigners.

It is really disgusting how here a certain class of people with the help of Government Officials get around paying their far share of taxes. Does anybody believe that her "birthday presents" were really "second hand"?Disgusting anti-social behavior which can be seen here much too often.

Edited by hanuman2543

Of course Customs would have done their duty and absolutely no chance that a ' somebody ' would get special treatment if of course she actually brought them back and the photo isn't staged.

Remember when Ms Yingluck met her brother in China and was pictured in a pearl shop. The story reported she bought 20 nice new pearl necklaces.

Do you think she declared them and paid customs duty?

Customs rules, like all other laws here are for the common, normal people. Not the rich, elite, connected, politicians or "superstars".

And as usual a top official makes a jerk ass comment in defense. Sure Mr, Customs Officer, they're all old used ones. That's why they're in new bags and boxes and tied up.

Pathetic.

Of course Customs would have done their duty and absolutely no chance that a ' somebody ' would get special treatment if of course she actually brought them back and the photo isn't staged.

Remember when Ms Yingluck met her brother in China and was pictured in a pearl shop. The story reported she bought 20 nice new pearl necklaces.

Do you think she declared them and paid customs duty?

Customs rules, like all other laws here are for the common, normal people. Not the rich, elite, connected, politicians or "superstars".

And as usual a top official makes a jerk ass comment in defense. Sure Mr, Customs Officer, they're all old used ones. That's why they're in new bags and boxes and tied up.

Pathetic.

Sounds crazy I know but they can be bought in Thailand. Who says she actually bought them in another country? Probably did but if customs did not pick up on it them whose fault is it really, hers or customs?

Point taken.

- Quite possible it strokes her ego quite nicely to be able to say / show that she bought them abroad (receipts, shopping bags, boxes whatever marked Singapore).

- Quite possible this lady knows nothing about real life and how life and society works, her only focus is me me me / look how glamorous I am.

Edited by scorecard