Avoid raw pork, says pig breeder as woman dies suddenly in Korat

webfact

Avoid raw pork, says pig breeder as woman dies suddenly in Korat

po1.jpg

KORAT:-- A Korat pig breeder has warned people to avoid eating raw pork after a woman died suddenly.

Lamyong Saengkaew, 51, died within ten days after eating raw meat from a whole pig bought from a delivery van in the Dan Khun Thot area of Nakhon Ratchasima, reports Thairath.

She had consumed dishes such as laab and koi that are often prepared with chopped raw meat and eaten with green vegetables, popular especially in the north east of Thailand.

Kittisuk Bunphat, a local pig breeder, said that the quick death of the villager was likely caused by the 'streptococci suis' bacteria that affect brain cells.

"This can be a very fast killer," he said "So I would advise people to always cook pig meat as it is present in some animals."

Sawoey Mawichai, 60, speaking to reporters at the funeral of her younger sister said that she had bought a 6,000 baht whole pig carcass from a delivery van two days before the start of Songkran. She had sold the legs to relatives but kept the rest to make various dishes for the New Year festival.

By last Saturday she had come down with a fever and was taken to hospital where she died yesterday morning.

Her son Saeksan Saenkaew, 25, (the ladyboy in the picture in front of the coffin) who has studied in the field of public health,said doctors at the hospital in Korat said his mother had died from bacteria that ultimately led to kidney failure. He said that not everyone who ate the meat would be infected as the bacteria was likely only to be present in certain parts.

However, it emerged that two others with symptoms in the village are being monitored.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-22

Kittisuk Bunphat is a remarkably well informed person.

Streptococcus Suis Infection has been responsible for many deaths across SE Asia/China and the reservoir is indeed pigs.

The infection is easily avoided by ensuring all pork products are well cooked or properly cured.

"Lamyong Saengkaew, 51, died within ten days after eating raw meat from a whole pig bought from a delivery van in the Dan Khun Thot area of Nakhon Ratchasima.

She had consumed dishes such as laab and koi that are often prepared with chopped raw meat and eaten with green vegetables, popular especially in the north east of Thailand."

Chopped raw meat off the back of a truck - absolute recipe for disaster. I like Larb, but only the cooked variety.

You should never eat raw or under-cooked pork or chicken as there is a bunch of different bacteria that you usually can find in those meats because of their feeding habits, cattle and sheep only eat grass while a pig eat anything.
Just think about it, 2 of the mayor religions (Islam and Judaism) made rules over a thousand years ago telling people not to eat pork and the reason they made this was that people died after eating (under-cooked) pork.

One time some of my Thai friends (2 of them even with Phd.) told me that the lime juice and chili used to make larb would kill any bacteria, still I refused to eat uncooked larb... 5 of my friends ended up in hospital with salmonella.

The pork had probably been left out in the summer heat for days after being butchered without being mixed with lime juice which would have preserved it.

The story is absolutely <deleted>. Why do they even mention that one of the relatives is a ladyboy?

In what way is that relevant to the death of the woman?

I had the same thoughts and all who've seen when they slaughter a pig will know how long the cadavers are sometimes right in the sun.

Now we're talking about a deadly mixture of bacteria. Salmonella might be a very dangerous enemy for humans.

You only have to Google to find out that quite a few people die in Thailand because they eat raw pork.

The photo shows "fermented pork with a raw egg on top" which is liked in some areas of the north. I have to stop, my hunger turns into..aehh gotta go...

post-158336-0-04284400-1461357309_thumb.

My mum always said,Beef should be rare at the middle,but Pork must be cooked right through.Ive always stuck by that.I do like my lamb a little on the rare side but it not easy to get here,so thats just a dream.My nan always said that my grandad was a pig,so she had him cremated twice.

I love a Sunday dinner with pork crackling though.

Well no shit....

The Muslim prohibition about pork is not because the animals are "dirty"...it is about the meat is hard to manage in hot climates.

Same with the Jews

Has been a dietary restriction for centuries due to the prevalence of Trichinosis in undercooked meat, especially on pork

Eating any raw meat is dangerous & people should be strongly discouraged from doing so.

Never eat any undercooked meat! Full stop, end of story. It doesn't matter how "trendy" it is coffee1.gif

Yes those rare steaks I've been eating for the past 20 years are killing me slowly.

Well no shit....

The Muslim prohibition about pork is not because the animals are "dirty"...it is about the meat is hard to manage in hot climates.

Nonsense! A religious, ie cultural, prohibition has to be seen in its own terms, not in the light of modern health criteria.

Muslims, even well educated ones, in Europe do not eat pork, for religious reasons, even though it is perfectly safe to do so. Just as I do not eat dogs, unlike the people of Vietnam or Sakon Nakhorn. I'm sure eating dogs is perfectly safe; we just don't do because of our culture.

Islam teaches that the pig is an unclean animal, so they don't eat them. English people regard dogs, cats, horses etc as pets; so we don't eat them. It's all about culture and every culture has its prohibitions.

Well no shit....

Same with the Jews

Has been a dietary restriction for centuries due to the prevalence of Trichinosis in undercooked meat, especially on pork

Well no shit....

Same with the Jews

Cristopher Hitchens in his book, "God Is Not Great" points out that middle-eastern archeology shows that other cultures in the area did eat pork, unlike the Jews, and there is no evidence that their safety or survival was compromised by trichinosis or any other pig born infection. Don't confuse cultural beliefs with modern day knowledge of parasitology.

Well no shit....

Nonsense! A religious, ie cultural, prohibition has to be seen in its own terms, not in the light of modern health criteria.

Muslims, even well educated ones, in Europe do not eat pork, for religious reasons, even though it is perfectly safe to do so. Just as I do not eat dogs, unlike the people of Vietnam or Sakon Nakhorn. I'm sure eating dogs is perfectly safe; we just don't do because of our culture.

Islam teaches that the pig is an unclean animal, so they don't eat them. English people regard dogs, cats, horses etc as pets; so we don't eat them. It's all about culture and every culture has its prohibitions.

It is not nonsense at all.

Those "old timers" might not have had modern science on their side, but surely they were smart enough to understand cause and effect.

Religious prohibitions did not just come out of thin air...there is some basis for them, some rational, some not so much.