How to ask what is the House Special/Best Dish in a Restaurant?

newfarang80

Hi everyone,

Brand new here. Learning a bit of Thai to get by this summer when I go with my wife.

So I've gotten most of the basic phrases as far as asking for menu, ordering something, drinks, etc.

But there is a phrase I cannot find translated >>> or that might not be accurate. Maybe someone here can help me out please?

Basically I want to be able to go up to a street cart, or ask in a restaurant,"what is the house special?" or "what is the best dish?"

Is there a way of expressing this? Is it culturally appropriate?

Can someone please give me a phonetic style transliteration (my Thai script reading ability is complete beginner barely recognize any symbols, but I'm working on it).

I just want to be able to walk up to a cart, ask what they recommend/are best at, and hopefully recognize a few words to be able to order :)

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We might all give you different answers.....I usually ask, "Khun chop gin arai na krap". sometimes i say "tii sut" for best i think....and they usually understand.

let me try:

• คุณชอบกินอาหารอะไรนะครับ

i'm sure they might say, "of course it is all very delicious"....but it's a conversation starter.

they might ask if you like spicy, sweet......phet and waan i think....

or you could ask which one farang like, they will then likely smile....

also depends how busy they are....if very busy, they don't usually talk as much.

you could ask "Khun kitwa nai aahan arroy tiisut mai?" maybe.....hmmm....not sure on that Thai

i'm learning, of course. hope someone corrects me......

Edited by puukao

Just dont use the last guy's recommendation, they wont understand what hes trying to mean i think

you can ask "arai ti meua khao kai ti sut" or "ahan aroy ti sut keu arai" "kon suan yai sang arai ti sut" "ahan ti niom (ti sut) keu arai"

They all work theres hundreds more

what is the meal you sell the most, what food is the best tasting, most people order what the most, what is your most popular food

Edited by bearpolar

"ahan aroy ti sut keu arai"

is ok, but the other ones = do not use

Hi. thanks for all the great recommendations!

Can I please ask, what "ahan aroy ti sut keu arai" translates to literally, and if this is the best phrase to use in my situation?

I just need one simple+direct question that hopefully will not be misunderstood, and I can get some good food out of :)

Basically I love all food. No allergies, not squeamish about organ meats etc. So whatever the food vender recommends, I just want to smile and say "Khob khun krap, song jaan krap" << and hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks again for all your help guys. This is a great forum!

Can I please ask, what "ahan aroy ti sut keu arai" translates to literally, and if this is the best phrase to use in my situation?

It literally translates as "what is the most delicious food?". The answer is probably foie gras or Beluga caviare, but I suspect your average Thai food establishment serves neither.

I don't think any of the above replies really addresses what you're asking. The key phrase, which appears at the top of chalk boards at restaurants across Thailand is อาหารแนะนำ - aahǎan nɛ́ˑ​nam - literally "introduced food", but meaning "recommended dishes".

It literally translates as "what is the most delicious food?". The answer is probably foie gras or Beluga caviare, but I suspect your average Thai food establishment serves neither.

I don't think any of the above replies really addresses what you're asking. The key phrase, which appears at the top of chalk boards at restaurants across Thailand is อาหารแนะนำ - aahǎan nɛ́ˑ​nam - literally "introduced food", but meaning "recommended dishes".

Thank you very much for clarifying :) Hopefully "ahan aroy ti sut keu arai" can yield me some results, and not just some puzzled expressions LOL.

I came across another phrase in guidebook:

"mee aa hăan pí-sàyt à-rai bâang?"

any chance this could work, and also what does it literally mean?

Thanks again for all your help!

Thank you very much for clarifying smile.png Hopefully "ahan aroy ti sut keu arai" can yield me some results, and not just some puzzled expressions LOL.

I came across another phrase in guidebook:

"mee aa hăan pí-sàyt à-rai bâang?"

any chance this could work, and also what does it literally mean?

Thanks again for all your help!

Means "What various kinds of special food do you have?".

Depending on the place, the answer might be: frog, snail, snake, squirrel, turtle and dog.

อาหารจานเด็ด "ahan chan det" is the word used for any house specialty dishes.

As suggested by others here, one can also ask มีอาหารแนะนำอะไรบ้างครับ.

Well, as a native Thai, I certainly would not used any of your suggestions. They're not even gramatically correct and you'd sound like a goofy farang by saying that.

In Thai culture, we don't ask "what is the most delicious dish you've got?" because you'll most likely get the reply that "everything is delicious here", because saying otherwise would imply that the other dishes are not delicious and they would of course lose face.

Well, as a native Thai, I certainly would not used any of your suggestions. They're not even gramatically correct and you'd sound like a goofy farang by saying that.

In Thai culture, we don't ask "what is the most delicious dish you've got?" because you'll most likely get the reply that "everything is delicious here", because saying otherwise would imply that the other dishes are not delicious and they would of course lose face.

Thanks for all your replies smile.png

So is there no way of me asking for the recommended house special? Like if a vender is particularly known for making something and that's why all the people go to their shop. I mean, I 'm just not that good at reading thai script yet.

I certainly don't want to put anyone in a position of loosing face and implying that the rest of their food is no good. I just want to ask for the top dish i.e. the house special.

So is "ahan chan det a-rai?"

a correct formulation of asking, "what is your house special?"

as in "Kho thot krap. Ahan chan det a-rai krap?"

if so, please tell me what the words "chan" and "det" mean in this context.

Thanks again for everyone's contributions!

Edited by newfarang80

อาหารจานเด็ด "ahan chan det" is the word used for any house specialty dishes.

As suggested by others here, one can also ask มีอาหารแนะนำอะไรบ้างครับ.

Terribly sorry to ask all these questions.

You said:

มีอาหารแนะนำอะไรบ้างครับ

is a possibility.

how is that phonetically transliterated?

I apologize for my severe lack of Thai script reading ability. It's only something I am just starting to learn.

Thank you for all your help.

"Kho thot krap. Ahan chan det a-rai krap?"

Yes, you can say that. "chan det" means exactly "house special" or "best dish".

See meaning of เด็ด in this dictionary entry.

http://dict.longdo.com/search/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%94

Note that there is a distinction how to ask this question. One ask either what their recommendation is, or what their "chan det" is, and not what is the most "delicious".

You can for example google อาหารจานเด็ด and find lots of suggestions.

read my post, i said that!!!!! "everything is delicious here"

of course i am super fluent....

but hit my head on sidewalk and forgot everything..

luum....

newfarang do not worry, after 1 year in Thailand I have been laughed at while ordering food, but mai bpen rai!!!

it's fun to try to get better, and just try and don't worry....

they know you are not kon Thai....mai bpen

just be nice, try your best, and enjoy....

I did perfectly well read your post, and I beg to differ that it's a "good" conversation starter. Actually, if they replied "everything is delicous here" I'm pretty sure there will be an awkward silence...

I would also not have asked the waiter what food he likes to eat the best, then he might tell you a dish which they may not have here, since who knows, he may not actually like any of the food sold at this restaurant...

You could be in a seafood restaurant, but the waiter may tell you he likes "som tam and kai yang" the most...

"Kho thot krap. Ahan chan det a-rai krap?"

Yes, you can say that. "chan det" means exactly "house special" or "best dish".

See meaning of เด็ด in this dictionary entry.

http://dict.longdo.com/search/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%94

Note that there is a distinction how to ask this question. One ask either what their recommendation is, or what their "chan det" is, and not what is the most "delicious".

You can for example google อาหารจานเด็ด and find lots of suggestions.

Excellent. Thank you Mole!

This seems to be the most direct phrase to use so that there are no misinterpretations. Hopefully I can get some yummy dishes out of it :)

Thank you once again everyone for all your help and suggestions. I'm really looking forward to Thailand and trying out lots of exciting new food!

Mole is thai, people have to stop telling him hes wrong

Never thought of "jaan dèt", will add it to my vocab, but its very very polite. Thais dont use it, only on tv.

Nothing wrong with speaking quality thai though

Edited by bearpolar

Whilst I (usually) agree with Mole - after all, he is a native Thai speaker - may I as a native English speaker take small issue with his English rendering of "จาน" as "chan" .

In my opinion "จาน" (plate or dish) would better be rendered as "Jahn" or perhaps "Jarn".

The pronunciation as "Chan" would sound in Thai as "ฉัน" - meaning "I" if a female is speaking - or as a rather informal male pronoun.

I'm not at all sure but I have a feeling that "ฉันเด็ด" may not be quite what the OP wants to say!

Patrick

Whilst I (usually) agree with Mole - after all, he is a native Thai speaker - may I as a native English speaker take small issue with his English rendering of "จาน" as "chan" .

In my opinion "จาน" (plate or dish) would better be rendered as "Jahn" or perhaps "Jarn".

The pronunciation as "Chan" would sound in Thai as "ฉัน" - meaning "I" if a female is speaking - or as a rather informal male pronoun.

I'm not at all sure but I have a feeling that "ฉันเด็ด" may not be quite what the OP wants to say!

Patrick

(1) Whilst I do believe Mole is Thai (at least part so), I personally don't know whether he's a native Thai speaker or not. Perhaps Thai is his second language.

(2) Your point about how to represent "" has already been addressed by the Royal Thai General System of Transcription. The finest minds in the Kingdom have already decided that "CH" is the best way of representing that letter using the Latin alphabet. Why should you as a non-Thai upstart beg to differ? As Mole wrote, "CHAN" is 100% the official and correct way of representing จาน using the Latin alphabet.

Just because a Thai says that a "" should be transliterated as "ch", it doesn't mean we have so agree, it is far closer to a "j" sound than a "ch" sound (people from the wrong side of the Atlantic may disagree).

Patrick

Aww OK. I was getting a bit confused. I've been listening to language courses etc. and so this word is "Jaahn" or something like that. That's how it sounds to me any way. Meaning "plate".

I have to agree, there's much more of a "J" "Ja" sound than a "Ch" sound coming into my ears when I hear this word.

Anyways, thanks to all!

I am 100% native Thai and has spoken Thai since I was born. Hope this clears things. Why would I claim that I'm a "native Thai", but perhaps was some kind of farang who spoke fluent Thai or something like that?

Is it so unbelievable that a native Thai browse and replies in these forums? Or is it maybe because my English is too good to be a native Thai??

I also deliberately chose to transcribe Thai using RTGS, hence gets written as CH. I've also written it in Thai, so anyone semi proficient will be able to know what's written. Although I do disagree with many or RTGS quirks, it is nevertheless a standard so unless they make changes to it, I will stick to it accordingly.