Culture Shock! Have you ever experience it?

Johnniey

Moving here in 1985, I definitely had the Stage 1 Honeymoon stage which lasted a few years, then the next stages happened until I was recovered at round 15 years here. I started getting Stage 5, revere culture shock shortly after this time.

They say there are five stages of culture shock:

Stage 1 Honeymoon phase,

Stage 2 Rejection Phase,

Stage 3 Regression Phase,

Stage 4 Recovery Phase;

Stage 5 Reverse Culture Shock Phase.

Have you ever experience culture shock? What was it like? Do you agree with these stages? If so, which stage are you at? I am happy to say I am fully recovered and feel quite happy here. It is obvious from reading some sections here that many have not recovered and in my experience many never do and die sad old people(usually men)

I moved here in 1990 when I was 35, at that age I was able to adapt to a totally different culture and way of life, I'm perfectly happy here, It's normal to me here.

Had I moved here at 65, I suspect my experience would be somewhat different.

Edited by Broken Record

I moved here in 1990 when I was 35, at that age I was able to adapt to totally different culture and way of life and I'm perfectly happy here. It's normal to me here.

Had I moved here at 65, I suspect my experiences would be somewhat different.

I agree with you, I moved here in my 20s and had actually been in India for 6 months so there was less shock than say a 50 year old moving here only ever having been to Majorca. .

Did you go through the "stages of culture shock"

Forget the culture shock (and I've seen some seriously crazy reactions to it). What has become more important to me in later years has been the attitude of many Thais towards foreigners. OK, I live close to Pattaya and that might explain some things, but it doesn't explain all, like rules and regulations being interpreted at the discretion of a solitary govt official, or suburban Thais losing their village-ness (:)). Culture shock isn't really a big deal for most people - in reality, it's more adaptation to new circumstances - some do it quickly, others never.

I agree that age plays a major role. Those of us who came here young obviously didn’t have as much baggage to deal with and we have had time to work through things. My biggest culture shock was visiting the mainland of my home country after living here for many years. I felt out of place and everyone looked and acted strange.

Later after a few long road trips with my wife I no longer had feelings of awkwardness but that may have had more to do with my own maturity and age at the time.

I moved to Thailand when I was 23. I don't really notice any culture shock in either the Kingdom or the place I'm from, though I do get annoyed by cultural commitment to inferior things (toilet paper, crappy beer, excessively large personal space, etc)

I keep asking myself why I didn't really suffer from what can be a serious problem, culture shock. With time, I was asking 'why dey do dat?' less and less although there are a few things that irk me.

The worst day was when I drove into town for the first time and those bloody motorbikes really scared me. They still do, but I have learnt to deal with it.

I agree, more or less, with the OP about the stages you go through, I experienced that when I moved from the UK to Switzerland more than 40 years ago. I just wonder how many times you can go through culture shock before you get immunised.

I just pretend to myself that I'm a Buddhist and say 'Mai phen rai".

I think its the same for most that move here - probably more so when older.

At first its a never ending holiday, everything is wonderful. Then a few things make us start wondering, and after a couple of years many leave because they are unable to deal with the difference in values etc.

Those of us who stay - decide that life is still better here and get used to the differences, even if we'll never embrace them. We'll come across some good Thais and some bad Westerners.

I haven't reached the reverse culture shock phase yet!

I keep asking myself why I didn't really suffer from what can be a serious problem, culture shock. With time, I was asking 'why dey do dat?' less and less although there are a few things that irk me.

The worst day was when I drove into town for the first time and those bloody motorbikes really scared me. They still do, but I have learnt to deal with it.

I agree, more or less, with the OP about the stages you go through, I experienced that when I moved from the UK to Switzerland more than 40 years ago. I just wonder how many times you can go through culture shock before you get immunised.

I say 'Mai phen rai' a lot too - its definitely better for the blood pressure laugh.png !

I say 'Mai phen rai' a lot too - its definitely better for the blood pressure laugh.png !

Mai pen rai is kinda like the Seinfeld "serenity now"

No, being surrounded by women of 'doubtful moral virtue' is entirely normal for me now.

Is this something you are proud of?

it's obvious which stage you are at if you are seriously saying ALL Thai women are of this nature.

No, being surrounded by women of 'doubtful moral virtue' is entirely normal for me now.

Is this something you are proud of?

it's obvious which stage you are at if you are seriously saying ALL Thai women are of this nature.

I don't think he's at the stage you think he is.

If you've followed his forum posts you'd know that he just likes hookers. A lot.

I believe ex-military can adjust much better from worldwide travel, military training and conditioning. However, there is always a learning curve and mistakes made. The more questions a person asks from expats with many years of experience helps a lot.

You don't need to be a Buddhist to say mai bpen rai, just a Thai

English speakers can just say 'never mind' or something similar

For two weeks a year,,,tell the truth!!

Or are you referring to the girls you hang out with at the 'Pub' most weekends

Same same really.

Just a lot fatter..

Edited by Mudcrab

I believe ex-military can adjust much better from worldwide travel, military training and conditioning. However, there is always a learning curve and mistakes made. The more questions a person asks from expats with many years of experience helps a lot.

What do you mean?

Like going to exotic places,meeting interesting people...and killing them??

That helps??

What do you mean?

Like going to exotic places,meeting interesting people...and killing them??

That helps??

I guess moreso than a civil servant from Bathgate