Banharn passes away at 83

rooster59

Banharn passes away at 83

post-247607-0-08569200-1461385423_thumb.

BANGKOK: Former prime minister and leader of the Chart Thai Pattana party Mr Banharn Silpa-archa died Saturday morning at Siriraj hospital. He was 83 years old.

Doctors said the political veteran passed away at 4:42 am today after he was urgently admitted to Siriraj hospital since Wednesday night suffering from difficult breathing.

Earlier in November, the beloved politician of Suphan Buri people was admitted to hospital suffering from chronic asthma.

The sickness exhibits symptoms of breathing difficulty and discomfort in the chest.

After being readmitted at Siriraj Wednesday night, Banharn remained in critical condition and under intensive care.

Banharn was the country’s 21st prime minister in 1995-1996.

He was an 11-time member of parliament (MP) of Suphan Buri province and the chairman of the Chart Thai Pattana party’s advisory board.

Banharn represented his home province of Suphan Buri and was credited for its rapid growth and development.

He led the Chart Thai party until it was dissolved by the Supreme Court after a party’s executive was found guilty and convicted of vote buying.

His new party later joined its previous breakaway faction Chart Pattana to become the Chart Thai Pattana and he remained as the chief advisor to the party leader although he was regarded as the most powerful politician in the party.

A royal bathing rite for Mr Banharn will be held at Wat Thepsirin at 5 pm.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/160737

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-23

No big loss , a political dinosaur who certainly enriched his family and himself when busily serving up the country and its people in the past.

The sooner all of those dinosaurs are extinct the better. Don't worry folks,, new political raptors of all hues are taking their place at the pork barrel feeding trough. One day political evolution may actually or hopefully produce some decent politicians though not for many a generation I fear.

My eyes are dry regarding this trivial death event.

Edited by shunter

No big loss , a political dinosaur who certainly enriched his family and himself when busily serving up the country and its people in the past.

The sooner all of those dinosaurs are extinct the better. Don't worry folks,, new political raptors of all hues are taking their place at the pork barrel feeding trough. One day political evolution may actually or hopefully produce some decent politicians though not for many a generation I fear.

My eyes are dry regarding this trivial death event.

Being entrenched in the mindset for centuries , these type will be around for sometime to come, for it was only back in 06 everybody loved and admired the man with money , they have not changed

I shall pay tribute to him at the Banharn and Jumsai Silpa-archa Public Toilet in Banharn and Jumsai Silpa-archa Park on Banharn and Jumsai Silpa-archa Road in Banharn and Jumsai Silpa-archa district. Nice park and road, btw, paid for with funds initially earmarked for the poor in Isan.

"Banharn was the country’s 21st prime minister in 1995-1996."

And a disastrous one at that, followed by an even more disastrous one, a political dinosaur with archaic views and stricken with mind boggling ineptitude, yet with a keenly open mind for corruption, just like our dear departed.

Anyone remember how he greeted Britain's queen during her state visit in 1996?

"Welcome to Thailand, Queen Elizabeth Taylor."

The press at the time had a field day with that one.

Banharnburi will sorely miss him. Not.

I shall pay tribute to him at the Banharn and Jumsai Silpa-archa Public Toilet in Banharn and Jumsai Silpa-archa Park on Banharn and Jumsai Silpa-archa Road in Banharn and Jumsai Silpa-archa district. Nice park and road, btw, paid for with funds initially earmarked for the poor in Isan.

actually funds earmarked for the country in general.. Still has probably the best roads in Thailand.. When Barnharn was PM he spent 46%(I think) of the total Thai budget on Supanburi..

When I think of all the PM and politians that have been in power in the 30 years I've lived here, he is by far the most corrupt, which is saying something as Thaksin was also one. many Thais will say the same and the least corrupt by a long way is Chan Leekpai.

When I think of all the PM and politians that have been in power in the 30 years I've lived here, he is by far the most corrupt, which is saying something as Thaksin was also one. many Thais will say the same and the least corrupt by a long way is Chan Leekpai.

I don't know about the most corrupt - I can think of several more who would take that accolade - but certainly the slipperiest. They didn't call him pla lai (eel) for nothing, and he had an uncanny ability to never be in opposition no matter how despicable the government and always getting the most lucrative ministerial posts for him and his clique. So a squid (always changing colours) as well as an eel, it seems. coffee1.gif

What's the benefit of Chuan being clean but yet was so weak that he allowed his ministers to amass billions in corrupt schemes ....

With him and Chow-Alit as PM's it was they miss management ,overspending caused ,Thailand to go cap in hand to the IMF in 1997 ,I remember landing at Don Muang airport and getting 81 Baht to the GBP.

The best road in Thailand was from Bangkok to Supanburi ,built so he could get home quickly at the weekends .

Some of his family members holding government positions .

No great loss ,as has been said a few more fellow dinosaurs should follow soon ,the only one I might miss is Chuan Leepie ,the best of a bad bunch

He abided by the principals of kin muang - Suphanburi is a beautiful and well-maintained provincial town. This is because of him.

Suphan was a lovely town long before that. I spent a fair amount of time in Central Thailand in the late '70s and early '80s and to me that was the classic graceful riverside town. Banhaan added a lot of big roads and other infrastructure, not much of which improved the place to my admittedly rather retro way of thinking.