Banharn passes away at 83

rooster59

When I think of all the PM and politians that have been in power in the 30 years I've lived here, he is by far the most corrupt, which is saying something as Thaksin was also one. many Thais will say the same and the least corrupt by a long way is Chan Leekpai.

Not completely sure about Chuan - nothing major though.Least corrupt was Abhisit, actually not corrupt at all

When I think of all the PM and politians that have been in power in the 30 years I've lived here, he is by far the most corrupt, which is saying something as Thaksin was also one. many Thais will say the same and the least corrupt by a long way is Chan Leekpai.

Not completely sure about Chuan - nothing major though.Least corrupt was Abhisit, actually not corrupt at all
Yes Abhisit or affectionately called Mark. He's great, very handsome and comes from Newcastle. I'd like to see him as PM again. He's really good at English and has some smashing suits. Gosh I hope he gets the job next year. He's got such a beautiful smile.

post-221427-14614280467744_thumb.jpg

When one is born into a well positioned family with a father who is a powerful member of the ruling group, one need not be as ham fisted as one trying to make a place at the trough. There is the unsettled issue much glossed over of someone avoiding military service through the fast track appointment as an instructor for the period of time one would have served one's time in the military.

There is also the issue of how an individual with no real world work experience was given a parachute district from which to represent as an MP.

Corruption need not be as blatant as awarding contracts to family members, or profiting from palm oil price and market manipulation. Corruption occurs when one stands by and allows colleagues to engage in corrupt or immoral acts, Corruption occurs when one does not speak out against conflicts of interests or when one allows senior military officers to engage in human trafficking or drug smuggling. (On that, I certainly don't blame the man. What could he really do? He had no authority and no power to intervene when he was PM.)

He led the Chart Thai party until it was dissolved by the Supreme Court after a party’s executive was found guilty and convicted of vote buying.

Vote buying-never!!.....It wasn't going on then,and if it was,i'm sure it's not going on now......beatdeadhorse.gif

When one is born into a well positioned family with a father who is a powerful member of the ruling group, one need not be as ham fisted as one trying to make a place at the trough. There is the unsettled issue much glossed over of someone avoiding military service through the fast track appointment as an instructor for the period of time one would have served one's time in the military.

There is also the issue of how an individual with no real world work experience was given a parachute district from which to represent as an MP.

Corruption need not be as blatant as awarding contracts to family members, or profiting from palm oil price and market manipulation. Corruption occurs when one stands by and allows colleagues to engage in corrupt or immoral acts, Corruption occurs when one does not speak out against conflicts of interests or when one allows senior military officers to engage in human trafficking or drug smuggling. (On that, I certainly don't blame the man. What could he really do? He had no authority and no power to intervene when he was PM.)

I was referring to corruption in its narrower sense of personal financial dishonesty.By that standard Abhisit is sea green incorruptible.Of course Abhisit has other baggage and I have not been shy about pointing this out.Nevertheless credit where credit is due.The man is honest.

Incidentally wealth and inherited position had never been a barrier to corruption.

But the people didn't vote for him. I guess he'll have to be relegated to the "most honest appointed leader after a military coup" category.

There are so many bad stories about Banharn but one of my favourites concerns his son Top.Apparently when Top went to study in the UK Banharn sent a considerable sum of money with him to avoid any inspection from eagle-eyed corruption busters.

Unfortunately for Banharn, Top struck up a relationship with a fellow Thai student whose family business was in financial trouble, so to please his future wife Top allegedly gave her all the funds secretly allocated to him by dad.

The consequence was when Top returned to Thailand and married his previously financially strapped fiancee, Dad was very angry and refused to attend the wedding or meet the couple for several years!

Most honest prime minister Thailand ever had was Anand Panyarachun. He wasn't elected either.

Maybe I'm on dangerous territory here but because Anand was operating in the Thai big business sector (Saha Union etc) and Abhisit wasn't, I'd have to give the purity prize to Abhisit.There are no completely honest Thai businessmen at the upper level.

With him and Chow-Alit as PM's it was they miss management ,overspending caused ,Thailand to go cap in hand to the IMF in 1997 ,I remember landing at Don Muang airport and getting 81 Baht to the GBP.The best road in Thailand was from Bangkok to Supanburi ,built so he could get home quickly at the weekends . Some of his family members holding government positions .No great loss ,as has been said a few more fellow dinosaurs should follow soon ,the only one I might miss is Chuan Leepie ,the best of a bad bunch

A pal of mine told me he once had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Leekpai at a motorway service area. He said Mr. Leekpai was one of the friendliest and most down to earth people it was his honour to shake hands and have a chat with. I find that easy to believe even if his colleagues were pretty shady. Edited by baboon

I remember when the to-be wife of one of my friends said that "Banharn is good because he gives money directly to the people"

I asked how much they got in her village and she answered: 20 baht

I never told the to-be Swedish husband that...

There was an enormous transformation of Banharn's hometown Suphanburi when he became prime minister. You can still see it today even

Gone never to return, not to be missed

But the people didn't vote for him. I guess he'll have to be relegated to the "most honest appointed leader after a military coup" category.

Well in a way the people voted for Abhisit because be was an MP so some Thai people at some time voted for HIM directly!

• 2 months later...

That's equal non-democracy to the Prime Minister posts that Chawalit, Banharn, and 2 out of the 3 that Thaksin "democratically won". Plus another 50 or so others in recent Thai history

"Democracy" in corrupt countries or countries where the legal system is not strong enough to support it is a curse for the people, not a blessing

"There is also the issue of how an individual with no real world work experience was given a parachute district from which to represent as an MP. "

So how do you feel about an individual with no real world work experience given #1 on the party list and made PM? Not to mention a POS given #2 and made DPM.