Anzac Day 2016 - any info

mamborobert

Nothing that I know of, but I have been told by a Kiwi friend that it is necessary to prepare well ahead for next year, consult both Embassies and take it from there.

I'm sure she will do just that!

post-111567-0-75505200-1461388602_thumb.

There is a 6 am service on Monday at the House of Praise International Church behind the Grandview Hotel. This is something they've done in previous years, too.

https://cochouseofpraise.com/contact/

The RBL and Foreign Cemetery haven't organized any observances in Chiang Mai. There is always a big observation in Kanchanaburi marking both ANZAC Day and the contribution of the Allied POWs with the Death Railway. There are always local RBL members who travel down to Kanchanburi for that observation. It really is something quite moving and always very well attended by people from all over Thailand and the region.

This is the first year in nine that I will miss the commemorative activities at Kanchanaburi and instead had three mates lined up to go to Chiangmai, where I knew of the church service and also some events at the Downunder Pub. But, despite three attempts at seeking any information via the Contact Us link for the Downunder Pub there wasn't the common courtesy of a reply to any of them.

The pub has literally lost four customers without even trying. We'll now observe Anzac Day in a more convivial atmosphere.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

Thanks all for replies so far. Quite sad no service, shame there is no local RSL but even in Oz my local is slowly getting smaller each year. In one way not necessarily a bad thing.

Nancy, thanks for the link. I have seen their pics from previous Anzac services and appreciate the efforts they make. Unfortunately I am from a generation and faith that does not clap hands so the Foreign Cemetery was/is always the go for me when in CM for Anzac. If nothing next year Katchanaburi will be the plan.

Shame nothing from the Consulate (Hon) having said that it is Hon and been on the way out for yonks.

I did check out the Downunder pub website. They will be open from 10.30am and showing the Collingwood Essendon game at 12.20am so may stroll down there.

I thought the Hon Consulate's office had been closed.

I attended a service on 11/11 a few years back, at the foreign cemetery, followed by a pleasant lunch provided by the British Embassy at the Gymkhana club. This involved many nations and not only ANZACS.

However, for us oldies, ANZAC day (25th April) is a special day, and a short service at the cemetery would be appropriate.

This is the first year in nine that I will miss the commemorative activities at Kanchanaburi and instead had three mates lined up to go to Chiangmai, where I knew of the church service and also some events at the Downunder Pub. But, despite three attempts at seeking any information via the Contact Us link for the Downunder Pub there wasn't the common courtesy of a reply to any of them.

The pub has literally lost four customers without even trying. We'll now observe Anzac Day in a more convivial atmosphere.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

To be fair Stu probably isnt that much of an online guy..

Thanks all for replies so far. Quite sad no service, shame there is no local RSL but even in Oz my local is slowly getting smaller each year. In one way not necessarily a bad thing.

Nancy, thanks for the link. I have seen their pics from previous Anzac services and appreciate the efforts they make. Unfortunately I am from a generation and faith that does not clap hands so the Foreign Cemetery was/is always the go for me when in CM for Anzac. If nothing next year Katchanaburi will be the plan.

Shame nothing from the Consulate (Hon) having said that it is Hon and been on the way out for yonks.

I did check out the Downunder pub website. They will be open from 10.30am and showing the Collingwood Essendon game at 12.20am so may stroll down there.

As the service mentioned is run by an ex serviceman, I think you'll find it is run more in line with the real reason the day is commemorated, and well attended by many ex serviceman from other nations as well.

Its bad enough the day has been commercially hijacked everywhere, but I'd recommend putting the church location behind you if you are genuine in your reason/s for wanting to attend an anzac service.

I hope you find local services - but if not you don't need an 'event' to pay respect & reflect on the sacrifices of our ANZACs.

Lest We Forget their ultimate sacrifice that provided us with the easy/free life we all in day-to-day life take for granted. Even handed this privilege many still find much to gripe & whinge about.

Have a beer on them, pay your respect, and give a minute to reflect.

I hope you find local services - but if not you don't need an 'event' to pay respect & reflect on the sacrifices of our ANZACs.

Lest We Forget their ultimate sacrifice that provided us with the easy/free life we all in day-to-day life take for granted. Even handed this privilege many still find much to gripe & whinge about.

Have a beer on them, pay your respect, and give a minute to reflect.

Well said Aussie69. Least We Forget. People get so lost in the action of 'needing an event' to support this day, they forget to just 'pay respect', have a minute silence, and enjoy your beer for what its worth!

Cheers

Archived