In Nepal life goes on, but recovery is slow

rooster59

In Nepal life goes on, but recovery is slow

post-247607-0-06697200-1461451386_thumb.

Nepal is remembering the victims of the deadly, twin earthquakes which battered the country almost a year ago.

More than 9,000 people died and almost a million homes were damaged when two huge tremors struck within the space of 17 days.

Life is still far from normal.

“Nobody’s helping us in the process of building or reconstructing our homes,” said Purba Namjel Tamang, who lives in Ne Sing villiage, in Langtang. The government told us they would give us 200,000 rupees (around 1,700 euros) but we’ve been waiting so long, what’s going on?”

The Himalayan nation’s crippled economy has still not recovered from the magnitude 7.8 and 7.3 tremors.

NGO worker Surya Bahadur Pariyar said most help is coming from outside the government:
“I don’t believe in the government also because since one year if we compare in every earthquake victim areas most of the people get most of the contribution, any kind of contribution – like food, like tents, like zinc for making the roof also – they will get it from some Nepali (civil) organisations, some religious societies as well and some international organisations also.”

Reports suggest around one in seven people are still living in temporary accommodation.

Durga Devi, from Solukhumbu district, is living in a makeshift camp.

“As I entered my house after the earthquake, I saw my daughter-in-law buried under the debris, and everything around her collapsed. I grabbed hold of my granddaughter, who was also buried under the rubble in the house, and then came out to the field. From that day on we have not reentered the house,” she explained.

Tourism, a key money-earner for Nepal, has been devastated, with world heritage sites and the mountaineering and trekking industry being dealt a severe blow.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-24

Very sad situation!

I have heard in another report that the Nepali govt. had received large sums of money for relief, but the people have complained for some time now that they have yet to see it. It doesn't take a very cynical mind to figure that one out.

Also, the govt. had told their people not to rebuild their homes until they received instructions as to how to make them earthquake-proof or more earthquake-resistant. However, it was reported that the people kept waiting and waiting for these instructions until they could wait no more and started rebuilding their homes without such instructions.

Details about this report and more from a show called 101 East has been linked here:

An incredibly corrupt government that is more interested in taking its pound of flesh than helping

the people through the recovery as quickly and efficiently as possible. They will milk and skim

this disaster for as long as possible. Disgusting. bah.gif

Not to worry the rich will be sipping champagne and eating caviar in Nepal as if nothing has happened. Its always the poor that suffer the most. Welcome to the new world order.

What's new about what you're describing?

Not to worry the rich will be sipping champagne and eating caviar in Nepal as if nothing has happened. Its always the poor that suffer the most. Welcome to the new world order.

Hardly new world order......been happening since time immemorial.

Ancient Egyptians had it down pat.