Still be able to enter Thailand after ED visa ends?

So if an ED visa grants you one year of stay in Thailand, immediately after it ends do you still get the 90 free days of entry per year?

Or are those days declared void because you've already been in Thailand for over 90 days on the ED visa, meaning that you're barred entry and can only come in for free a 6 months to a year later?

• Your ED visa will have no affect on any future visa exempt entries (free).
  • The 90 day visa exempt limit only applies to a few land border crossings.
  • You could be denied visa exempt entry, at any border, if considered a visa runner by doing back to back entries.

If you are planning to stay here long term using visa exempt entry by exiting/re-entering every 30 days you will eventually get denied entry.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies, maybe I'll make it clearer.

I have an ED visa which gave me 1 year in Thailand for the duration of the course. The 1 year ends soon.

My passport allows me a total of 90 visa exempt days in Thailand per year (provided I leave and enter every 30 days).

Now that I've stayed a year already and the visa ends, can I still get another 90 visa exempt days right after?

I have an ED visa which gave me 1 year in Thailand for the duration of the course. The 1 year ends soon.

My passport allows me a total of 90 visa exempt days in Thailand per year (provided I leave and enter every 30 days).

Now that I've stayed a year already and the visa ends, can I still get another 90 visa exempt days right after?

Once again there is no ED visa which permits a one year stay, so if you have been in Thailand for one year you must have got "extensions of stay" from immigration (they are not "visas")

There is no 90 day limit on visa exempt entries.

Which passport do you hold ?

Again I will write there is no 90 day limit on visa exempt entries in year. You have been given false info or read some wrong info.

At this time you can do a total of 6 visa exempt entries and not be flagged for doing that many. Even then it does not mean you cannot enter the country on one.

Visas and extensions do not count in anyway for being able to do visa exempt entries.

Once again there is no ED visa which permits a one year stay, so if you have been in Thailand for one year you must have got "extensions of stay" from immigration (they are not "visas")

There is no 90 day limit on visa exempt entries.

Which passport do you hold ?

Yes, then I have gotten extensions of stay amounting to 1 year.

Edited by mesterm

What is your nationality?

Where did you get this 90/30 day information from because it doesn't make any sense?

Your ED visa/1 year stay in Thailand will not affect any future visa exempt entries.

Again I will write there is no 90 day limit on visa exempt entries in year. You have been given false info or read some wrong info.

At this time you can do a total of 6 visa exempt entries and not be flagged for doing that many. Even then it does not mean you cannot enter the country on one.

Visas and extensions do not count in anyway for being able to do visa exempt entries.

I see, so I can come in and out about under 6 more times without issues. That helps a lot, thank you!

Edited by mesterm

What is your nationality?

Where did you get this 90/30 day information from because it doesn't make any sense?

Your ED visa/1 year stay in Thailand will not affect any future visa exempt entries.

Perhaps it's not 90 days but related to the 6 consecutive entries that the moderator mentioned. I did make several consecutive entries visa exempted, until the immigration told me I'd hit a cap for the year, and said if I want to stay longer I'd have to apply for the tourist visa from my home country. Even that would only be given once per year by my home country. So I did that and came to apply for an ED visa, which is soon ending.

Edited by mesterm

If you are planning to stay here long term using visa exempt entry by exiting/re-entering every 30 days you will eventually get denied entry.

Yes, that's what happened to me over a year back as I didn't know such regulations existed. After which I got the ED visa.

I see, so I can come in and out about under 6 more times without issues. That helps a lot, thank you!

I wouldn't count on "no issues"! The 6 visa exempt flag is not an allowance or a limit. It's just a tool to help IO's identify regular users of visa exempt entry.

As I have said, if you do back to back visa exempt entries you will be considered a visa runner and can be interviewed/denied entry if you can't prove you are a tourist. How many entries you'll get away with is unknown and at the discretion of the IO. I wouldn't rely on getting more than 3 back to back entries before getting extreme pressure to get a visa or be denied entry. Especially at land borders.

• Like 1

I suggest you go to a nearby embassy or consulate and get a single entry tourist visa. You don't have to go home to get one. No need to worry about getting a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1