Thailand - is it making real progress?

ChrisKC

From my wife's family whose members spent between 4 and 6 years in school, we now have the next generation of kids , 8 of which graduated from college or university. I'd say that's progress.

I would not descrive graduating out of a Thai instiute of education as progess, but each to their own.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The better part of 15 years here. What I see is a lot of development, more malls, more shops, more cars, faster internet, everyone has a smart phone, more condos, easier banking, more ATMs, more housing, and more markets.

I also see tighter visa rules, more road accidents, over development, more litter, encroaching, higher prices, more pollution, less family value, more violence, more drugs, an education system that is stuck in the mud, a very divided country politically, and a heavy handed government that is down right scary at times.

What I don't see is progress as a society. Thais are simply not evolving. I see new stuff everywhere I look, much of it impressive, but the people have no desire to evolve into a modern society. I believe that is a direct relation to their lack of education, which unfortunately, has no light at the end of the tunnle, and such a thing plays out perfectly for the ruling class.

Look to Thailand's neighbors, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Vietnam, they are making progress and will eventually surpass Thailand, especially Vietnam and Myanmar. When they have an air hub as popular and convienent as Bangkok, it's curtains for Thailand tourism.

I am starting to eyeball by next move as I don't see a stable future for Thailand. Hopless is the word that comes to mind. Vietnam is looking very attractive with land ownership and new visa options (1 year no hassle) for Americans.

All of that said, Thailand has served me well. Now, I accept that it's almost time to move on. And I'm OK with that, as life is a journey and I look forward to the next adventure.

It's hard to get a sense of someplace that you've never lived, and I've never been to Vietnam. But from what others here who have been say in their posts, is that government corruption in Vietnam makes the Thais look like good citizens by comparison.

Dunno if that true or not, as I have no personal experience. But that's what others who do have experience have reported here.

It's hard to get a sense of someplace that you've never lived, and I've never been to Vietnam. But from what others here who have been say in their posts, is that government corruption in Vietnam makes the Thais look like good citizens by comparison.

Dunno if that true or not, as I have no personal experience. But that's what others who do have experience have reported here.

I think you are probably right about that. The only thing that happened to me was rip off taxi drivers. Some, but not all, will try to take you the long route or use the confusing bank notes to trick you into thinking you have short changed them. In Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh you will get accosted by street currency vendors, i'm pretty sure they will rip you off. Other than that, it was okay. If you are living there with your own funds and not investing in anything you should be fairly safe. Outside of the home country, everyone has to be careful.

The one thing that impressed me was the number of kids that approach you to learn English. Their standard of education is good and they take it very seriously. They want to progress in life. When the time is right I will put some money into a Vietnam fund as I think it will be a real powerhouse in Asia over the next twenty years.