B visa extension of stay cancellation requirements.

Scenario.

You have B visa with WP on the second year extension of stay valid until mid Sept 2016.

Working for the same agency but changing schools for the new term in May 2016 to a different area, the last school year having finished in March.2016

Would you just start work in May and wait until issued with the paperwork for a new B visa after a month or so ? up to Savanakhet etc , but on exit at the border what will happen with the existing B visa EOS..?

Will they just cancel it as you exit? which is fine or do you need to have a letter of termination?, even though you are in fact still working for the same agency, albeit at a new school after the standard two month school holidays.

Could they in fact refuse you to exit and send you back to the immigration office that issued the extension to have it cancelled? in that case you could end up with an overstay fine etc as your last valid day at the previous school would have been in March?

2nd Scenario you need a break from Teaching and want to go back to a tourist visa!

On exit at the border what will happen if you haven't cancelled the EOS at your local immigration? can you just be stamped out!

Or again since you actually stopped work In March at the end of term with the intent of a new school in May, but same agency employer, would you now be liable for two months overstay?? having had a change of heart and wishing to go back to tourist status for a while.

I guess you need an exit point, land border or airport where they are not too pedantic about an officially cancelled EOS, so you can exit without hassle and re-enter with a new visa as required B or tourist or simply not come because of all the bureaucratic grief.

If you do the crossing at Nong Khai or Mukdahan you will need a termination letter with a date it on or after the date you leave or they will not allow you depart the country. The same will apply no matter the reason you are leaving the country.

If you leave by air or at some other crossing you would not need the letter.

Evilbaz, on 24 Apr 2016 - 15:39, said:

If you are an employee of an Agency surely that is their problem to solve?

In an ideal setting yes and don't call me Shirley..................

However if I take up option two, a break from employment, I don't think they will be so interested in my visa status etc.

ubonjoe, on 24 Apr 2016 - 15:43, said:

If you do the crossing at Nong Khai or Mukdahan you will need a termination letter with a date it on or after the date you leave or they will not allow you depart the country. The same will apply no matter the reason you are leaving the country.

Thanks Joe,

So could you just get a letter from them as mentioned and take it to the border with you, or would you need first take the letter to the immigration office who issued the original EOS to have it cancelled before heading to the border?

ubonjoe, on 24 Apr 2016 - 15:43, said:

Thanks Joe,

So could you just get a letter from them as mentioned and take it to the border with you, or would you need first take the letter to the immigration office who issued the original EOS to have it cancelled before heading to the border?

They will cancel it at the border. They may though send you to the immigration office near the bridge to have it canceled.

It would save some time at the crossing it you go the office where the extension was issued a few days before the termination date and they will post date the cancellation to that date. That would give you time to leave the country without paying for a 7 day extension.

• 4 weeks later...

I read but not sure if still valid that you can do it another way if you have a problem obtaining the letter.

You take your passport and WP only to the labour office, who will cancel the work permit and issue a form.

Armed with the form you head to local immigration who then cancel the Visa Extension and you exit the country for

a new visa.

Is it possible to wait to the last day of the extension of visa and simply exit on that day I presume you wouldn't need the

letter or to have cancelled it.??

Not all immigration offices will accept the receipt for a work permit cancellation without a termination letter. If they did do it you would need to leave by midnight on the date it is done or apply for a 7 day extension.

If you go the border on the last day they will probably still want the termination letter to confirm you didn't stop working long before that date.

ubonjoe, on 17 May 2016 - 12:11, said:

Not all immigration offices will accept the receipt for a work permit cancellation without a termination letter. If they did do it you would need to leave by midnight on the date it is done or apply for a 7 day extension.

If you go the border on the last day they will probably still want the termination letter to confirm you didn't stop working long before that date.

Thanks Joe,

So if you go to the Cambodian border can you exit without the letter and without hassle and straight back in on a visa exemption.???

Or a Bangkok airport exit is that a certain stamped out no questions asked? for example flying to Savannakhet Laos and coming back with a tourist visa?

Also if you got a re-entry permit for the extension, I presume you get stamped out without questions for example at Mukdahan, then come back in on a newly obtained tourist visa if that didn't raise any problems?

Thanks Joe,

So if you go to the Cambodian border can you exit without the letter and without hassle and straight back in on a visa exemption.???

Or a Bangkok airport exit is that a certain stamped out no questions asked? for example flying to Savannakhet Laos and coming back with a tourist visa?

Also if you got a re-entry permit for the extension, I presume you get stamped out without questions for example at Mukdahan, then come back in on a newly obtained tourist visa if that didn't raise any problems?

You could do a border hop for a visa exempt entry. It will only be for 15 day unless you are from a G7 country which would allow a 30 day entry. Both can be extended for 30 days at immigration. I have not seen any posts of somebody having a problem leaving with a valid extension at the Cambodia border.

Leaving from an airport would not be a problem.

The problem with having a valid re-entry permit is that the officer could refuse to use the tourist visa for entry and insist on using the re-entry permit.

Thanks Joe,

You could do a border hop for a visa exempt entry. It will only be for 15 day unless you are from a G7 country which would allow a 30 day entry. Both can be extended for 30 days at immigration. I have not seen any posts of somebody having a problem leaving with a valid extension at the Cambodia border.

Leaving from an airport would not be a problem.

The problem with having a valid re-entry permit is that the officer could refuse to use the tourist visa for entry and insist on using the re-entry permit.

Appreciate the advice,

Guess option 2 fly out to Savanakhet, apply for a tourist visa come back is the easiest, provided Thai Consulate doesn't query the non cancelled EOS, but generally they are pretty laid back I hope.

You might want to check for flights to Vientiane or Penang. Your only choice is Lao Air Ways to Savannakhet which is expensive and their flight schedule does not work out good for doing visa applications and pickup the next day.

ubonjoe, on 17 May 2016 - 17:53, said:

You might want to check for flights to Vientiane or Penang. Your only choice is Lao Air Ways to Savannakhet which is expensive and their flight schedule does not work out good for doing visa applications and pickup the next day.

Thanks Joe,

You are right checked a single flight 200 dollars........... for one way Bkk to Savannakhet.

Im guessing re land crossings if you go out via Cambodia its still Thai immigration staff but they don't give a hoot about the cancelled EOS and simply stamp you out.

also at the airport they are not bothered, yet at Nong khai and Mukdahan they are over zealous I wonder why? if you leave Thailand then the EOS is done with anyway.

Another option very inexpensive is Mae Sot, will they simply stamp you out ? across the border and stamped back in on 30 day exemption???

Once you have exited stamped out and come back on a 30 day exmpt, any overstay associated with the EOS is swallowed in the system because on exit it will have months left although invalid through employment not continued.

ubonjoe, on 17 May 2016 - 17:53, said:

Thanks Joe,

You are right checked a single flight 200 dollars........... for one way Bkk to Savannakhet.

Im guessing re land crossings if you go out via Cambodia its still Thai immigration staff but they don't give a hoot about the cancelled EOS and simply stamp you out.

also at the airport they are not bothered, yet at Nong khai and Mukdahan they are over zealous I wonder why? if you leave Thailand then the EOS is done with anyway.

Another option very inexpensive is Mae Sot, will they simply stamp you out ? across the border and stamped back in on 30 day exemption???

Once you have exited stamped out and come back on a 30 day exmpt, any overstay associated with the EOS is swallowed in the system because on exit it will have months left although invalid through employment not continued.

No problem at a crossing to Cambodia. The only crossing to Myanmar that allows a border hop for a visa exempt entry is Ranong.

I think the proximity of the embassy and consulate to the crossing at Nong Khai and Mukdahan is the reason they are so diligent.

You might want to look into a low cost ticket to Kuala Lumpur to do an out and back for visa exempt entry. No visa is required there. Check Air Asia for flights.