Buying air ticket at Chiang Mai airport

westbounder

Sure, you can buy a ticket there and normally at the same price as on the airline website or at their owned offices; however, why not buy it ahead of time at one of their offices or online? Air Asia has an office 150 feet in front of Thaphae Gate, Bangkok Air has an office in the Kantary Hills complex (opposite Soi 17, Nimman), and Thai Air has an office on Propoklao (spelling?).

As concerns your comment about a "descent price", I can assure you that the price of the ticket includes both the ascent (which isn't always guaranteed if the flight is cancelled) price and the descent price (what goes up will most definitely come down). Somewhat reminds me of the comedian George Carlin's wondering why they would ever use the word "terminal" to describe an airport building (and he also opined that airlines should never use the phrase "final departure").

Sure, you can buy a ticket there and normally at the same price as on the airline website or at their owned offices; however, why not buy it ahead of time at one of their offices or online? Air Asia has an office 150 feet in front of Thaphae Gate, Bangkok Air has an office in the Kantary Hills complex (opposite Soi 17, Nimman), and Thai Air has an office on Propoklao (spelling?).

As concerns your comment about a "descent price", I can assure you that the price of the ticket includes both the ascent (which isn't always guaranteed if the flight is cancelled) price and the descent price (what goes up will most definitely come down). Somewhat reminds me of the comedian George Carlin's wondering why they would ever use the word "terminal" to describe an airport building (and he also opined that airlines should never use the phrase "final departure").

thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

Best price - how long is a piece of string?

You can buy tickets at the airport from the Thai inter airport office and all the budget airlines. They all open quite early.

Thai inter usually the highest price but they do sometimes surprise.

For the budget airlines only way to know the best price for that day / the departure time you want is a quick survey across the budget offices, but remember that some have add ons that are not in the base price they will quote you. So best to ask about extra charges for: check-in luggage, charge for a seat, travel insurance... . You mention Thursday, that probably gives you enough time to check all the websites for fares and add ons.

For most airlines you can make the booking on line but pay at 7/11. Very easy, just click all the boxes for date time, give your name etc., and nominate 7/11 for payment. The airline will immediately give you a reference number which you take to 7/11, totally automated process, all paid within a couple of minutes and you get an instant receipt showing date, times, flight numbers, name etc. But note that the 7/11 reference number expires within a short time - I think it's 3 hours.

Edited by scorecard

Look online, better chances to win a cheap ride. Wife got one with Thai Smile 2 days ago to Suvarnabhumi, first flight today morning, 1400B. Thai Lion for ~1000B, on short notice, most fly to Don Mueang. It's highly competitive, but don't try last minute.

Here's someone who never heard of George Carlin.....

IMG_2580-X2.jpg

"........and your Final Destination today sir?

Shortly after I took this they changed the name to something like "The Terminals" - it's amazing that it ever got as far as an expensive sign board. This street is also home to the unfortunately named (but still in business) "Oops!" hair salon - maybe there's something in the water...

Edited by Greenside

Well Thai and Bangkok Air don't fly to Don Muang

You buy a Nok Air or Air Asia ticket and either pay for online or at 7. Print your boarding card. No hassle. Not rocket science.Who in their right mind buys a ticket or a bottle brandy in an airport except in emergency. If you have no internet, not as though there are no travel agencies in CM. Air Asia is between 1100 and 800 Baht on Thursday

Edited by laolover88

Speaking about the Thai office in town at least, they do not offer all types of fares. Some (the cheapest) are specifically "online only". But you don't need to go to the official airline office. I have found that agents can offer prices which sometimes are not available even online. And best, they can put you on a waitlist for a given fare. Sure they take a commission, but it's usually minimal. Needless to say, avoid the travel agents with rental scooters and laundry all in one shop.

Good joke about "descent"...