Need help with Schengden Visa for a Thai. Do we need 1 or 2?

My fellow expats! My wife and I are Travelling to Europe for some cruises. We will then cruise to USA and return to Europe on a different cruise.

We will be in the states 4 months between cruises. So, we will need a Schengden Visa for 05/10/16 through 18/11/16 and then a

return leaving on a cruise ship from Florida to Barcelona 01/04/17 to 14/04/17. Should she get 1 Visa for 05/10/16 through 14/04/17 or two separate visas?

Thanks for your assistance on this matter!

You could try to get a multi entry schengen that will allow you to enter the schengen zone more than once. However, four months is a long time in between entries so you might need two separate visas. Bear in mind that you need to apply for a visa in the country you will arrive in first.

So you might have to apply in two different embassies depending on your itinerary. Also, you need to do this before you leave the country that you are resident in. You cannot apply for a schengen in the US while on holidays. You need to do it wherever you are residents. I'm not an expert so this could be wrong!

I remember applying for schengen visas for Germany before. They were very good and quick at replying to emails. So just email the country's embassy that you will be entering first. Include your intended itinerary and try to be as clear as possible as to your intentions.

What is your nationality? A 4 month stay in the US implies American, proper order of the dates (dd/mm/yy) implies European. ;) If you are an EU/EEA national and traveling to other memberstates with your spouse, more relaxed requirements apply.

You can only apply up to 3 months in advance of the intended day of arrival into the Schengen area. So the best option would be to apply for a Schengen visa for the country that is your main destination for the first trip and explain to them what your schedule looks like and that you'd (or rather your wife, the alien is the applicant and you won't be able to do so on her behalf) like a multiple entry visa (MEV) covering atleast the duration of both trips. If the second holiday will be to the same Schengen country, all the better: avoiding a possible discussion by the embassy what your main destination is and thus where to apply.

If the embassy won't issue a MEV, things will get complicated...

Edit: you may wish to check the Schengen sticky in this forum section. Also note that if your wife happens to have a residency status in the US she could apply for the second visa from there.

Edited by Donutz

What is your nationality? A 4 month stay in the US implies American, proper order of the dates (dd/mm/yy) implies European. wink.png If you are an EU/EEA national and traveling to other memberstates with your spouse, more relaxed requirements apply.

You can only apply up to 3 months in advance of the intended day of arrival into the Schengen area. So the best option would be to apply for a Schengen visa for the country that is your main destination for the first trip and explain to them what your schedule looks like and that you'd (or rather your wife, the alien is the applicant and you won't be able to do so on her behalf) like a multiple entry visa (MEV) covering atleast the duration of both trips. If the second holiday will be to the same Schengen country, all the better: avoiding a possible discussion by the embassy what your main destination is and thus where to apply.

If the embassy won't issue a MEV, things will get complicated...

Edit: you may wish to check the Schengen sticky in this forum section. Also note that if your wife happens to have a residency status in the US she could apply for the second visa from there.

Thanks Donutz! I am an American. My wife does not have residency, so I will need to get visas before leaving Thailand. We'll be entering Italy for a cruise on 05/Oct/16 and then re-ntering Spain on

14/Apr/17 on a cruise from Florida. So a multi-entry Schengden would be perfect! Should I email the Italian Embassy with our itinerary now and see what they say. She'd going to BKK in June to work

on the visas. My KLM Airline Tickets show arriving Venice, IT from BKK on 05 Oct 16 and leaving Barcelona, SP on 14 Apr 17 to Bangkok.

• 1 month later...

It looks like we need two visas! One for Italy and one for Portugal! We'll get the Italian first and the Portuguese the next day. They want us to go through

VFS!

Secondly, inexpensive, but good, travel insurance? How about Schengen Insurance Compa info!ny? Any other insurance companies, we should check?

Thanks for your info!

Some Cruise Lines assist with Visa applications, try for a Multi as stated above.

I'm sorry, but this is not really true.

Cruise lines are not interested in helping with visas, except in very rare situations such as tin-pot islands that you've never heard of, where they deal with immigration on arrival at the port.

(Slight exaggeration, but not far from the truth.)

When I went on a cruise, we indeed found that most if not all companies simply stated that any aliens were themselves responsible for getting any visas and insuring that they met any entry demands (or risk refusal). Might be some VIP packages about, wouln't be suprised that if you paid for some expensive package visa services might be included... But if we the OP would be willing to spent thousands and thousands of dollars/euro's on a cruise he'd probably not be on this forum. :P

It looks like we need two visas! One for Italy and one for Portugal! We'll get the Italian first and the Portuguese the next day. They want us to go through

VFS!

Secondly, inexpensive, but good, travel insurance? How about Schengen Insurance Compa info!ny? Any other insurance companies, we should check?

Thanks for your info!

Yes, if the Italians don't issue a MEV (which is rather common incase of a first time visa), you'd need seperate visas for the Italian and Portugal trips.

You may use VFS, you don't have to, I'd personally follow the embassies instructions on a direct appointment with the embassy as I trust the expertise of the embassy over the third party VFS staff (and saving a service fee is a nice bonus, better spent on an enjoyable meal).

There are various insurance options. Any that abide the Schengen rules (including returning the insurance fee if the visa is refused) should do. Axa is internationally well known. Some embassies provide a list of (suggested) companies. You could could google for "Schengen insurance" and chose a company that you think offers a good price/qualiy ratio.