Cleaning with Chlorine

wonder6281

I had dinner last night in town and noticed a strong unusual odour.

I asked the staff serving me if they noticed it as well and they admitted that the table top is wiped clean with a wet cloth that is soaked in a water/chlorine mix each time a customer leaves.

I haven't mentioned the Restaurant for obvious reasons but I'm that not sure that using chlorine for cleaning where one eats is a safe practice nor for the staff.

Has anyone else experienced this odd practice or can anyone shed some expertise about this?

Edited by wonder6281

http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/Disinfection_Sterilization/6_0disinfection.html

Many disinfectants are used alone or in combinations (e.g., hydrogen peroxide and peracetic acid) in the health-care setting. These include alcohols, chlorine and chlorine compounds, formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, ortho-phthalaldehyde, hydrogen peroxide, iodophors, peracetic acid, phenolics, and quaternary ammonium compounds.

Certainly used in settings where disinfection is needed and needs to be done on the cheap and fast (water-tanks etc. etc.) Much better stuff is used in clinics, hospitals etc. We actually used it during cholera outbreaks in Brazil to do emergency disinfection of water in poor neighborhoods.... Per L water 2 or 3 drops of water. Mix well and let it rest for min. 30 min.

In a rest. they could resort to the Peroxide 5% solution / slightly perfumed, sold right next to Haiter/Bleach or just use a clean rag with some kind of accepted cleaner. Even a glass-spray containing alcohol would do just fine. Using bleach / chlorine is way over the top and certainly not good for lungs, taste-buds & nose or your cloth if you get drops or traces on it. Would just tell the manager to be a bit less radical or at least reduce the solution to 1 L water and just a few drops bleach. MS>

Thanks for the constructive responses.

Obviously if the odor is detectable then the solution is wrong. My opinion is that the use of chemicals of any sort should not be present where food or drink can be consumed.

If those who replied are happy to allow contaminants into their eating environment then we have a different level of personal safety.

I also believe Chemtrails, flouride in drinking water and other chemicals are designed to hinder not enhance the health of people.

If you're aghast at having your table wiped with a chlorine solution, how do you feel about your dishes, glasses and flatware rinsed in it? See: http://www.nfsmi.org/DocumentDownload.aspx?id=2990 I recall reading that some places (US? UK?) there are regulations requiring the bleach solution rinse for restaurants that don't have ultra-hot-water capabilities.