Do You Miss It....?

LaoPo

This summer my wife and I were travelling for some 3 months in Thailand/Far East and I didn't meet anyone to speak to in my own language during that time.... :o

My wife studied extremely hard in our home-country to learn the language but it's still difficult for her so we have our conversations in English and the local language since I don't speak her language well yet.

Do you sometimes also miss to talk in your own local dialect/home- or Mother tongue ?

I know a lot of you have English as a Mother-tongue but for other people from Europe it's sometimes nice but difficult to have a chat or talk in their own language.

I speak/write/read some 4 languages fluent and 2 or 3 reasonable but there's nothing better than to have a (deeper) conversation in your own language....

What about you? How do you cope ?

LaoPo

I'm sorry, could you translate the above into Strine.Thank you :D

Is that the language they speak in Kazachstan, the home country of Borat ? :o

Sorry I don't speak Strine; do you ?

LaoPo

I just got UBC satellite TV, and I notice most stations have three languages: English, Thai, and Aussie/Brit. I do OK with the first two, but I gotta use subtitles on that third one. :o

Edited by toptuan

It's no problem here in Chiang Mai; lots of English speakers here. In Hua Hin, I think the Swedes could find native speakers. But it is irritating sometimes. My Castillian Spanish wasn't good enough in Barcelona or Mallorca to speak with the locals much, and I felt very isolated.

Actually, it was a big problem in the English departments in big matayom schools. I was usually the only native speaker of English, and they preferred to speak Thai.

I just got UBC satellite TV, and I notice most stations have three languages: English, Thai, and Aussie/Brit. I do OK with the first two, but I gotta use subtitles on that third one. :D

Your use of "gotta" suggests you are a septic.

Which language do you regard as being your first (if indeed you have a second) language?

Just curious... :o

I do miss my first language as I also do with the legal one used in my own country (I learned german first, but french is my own country language).

What I dislike the most (or what hurt me the most) is to be in the middle of people who seems considering some forms of slang english as the world language. I sometimes go to paly chess in the Bkk club. The fun is to be able to have conversation with the britts (God knows Britts and frogs usually do not mix much), but it almost impossible to to have the same with US, aussies, or sout african. I do not speak about the philipinos who are also teachers, givem my opinion about their english skills would be assimilate to racism.

So yes I miss french, I miss also german and italian. I do miss also what is related to those languages, the body language (comedia del' Arte). On the other hand, I choose to come here, so I have to accept it, and there is still a Dunan street in Bkk :o

I think it is very much about 'Down The Local'

I've lived and worked overseas for the best part of 20 years, and while I speak three languages other than English, it's not just the foreign languages, even English less than two hundered miles from my home is not the same. Perhaps because I come from an area with a wide and rich dialect.

There is nothing like chatting in your real native tongue, using phrases and terms of speach that as little as twenty miles away mark that you are not from around there.

I love my language.

i find that i sometimes miss the local slang. when i get together with khall its ok as we are both australian and 'get' each others jokes. americans, poms, thais...they just dont get the australian sarcasm at times.

i work with thais, a brit, belgian and singaporean. the language differences we can cope with as we can all speak 'phasa ruam' but its the subtle things that need explaining that are the things i miss (the fact that they need explaining makes the joke or the comment lose its effect)

Well, at least most of you guys speak english both while home or in LOS (australians, brits, americans, etc.). As for me, well, I would like to walk in a club or restaurant and be able to spaek romanian, at least once in 3 months. Fortunately I have some uni mates romanians here, I get to speak my language almost daily :o ###### it feels good!!!

i find that i sometimes miss the local slang. when i get together with khall its ok as we are both australian and 'get' each others jokes. americans, poms, thais...they just dont get the australian sarcasm at times.

Gees, when I got on the piss with yous two, I coudnt unnerstand a word yous was saen. But that mite of had sommet to do with how much amber necter I shoved down me neck on the night.

Anyways itsfcuknorrightaymate

Edited by Old Croc

Gees, when I got on the piss with yous two, I coudnt unnerstand a word yous was saen. But that mite of had sommet to do with how much amber necter I shoved down me neck on the night.

Anyways itsfcuknorrightaymate

That was a bit scary .... so many languages .....

There is nothing like chatting in your real native tongue, using phrases and terms of speach that as little as twenty miles away mark that you are not from around there.

I love my language.

You're so right here and I think that counts for most of us, especially when you didn't have the chance to talk in your own native tongue for some time.... :o

LaoPo

There is a 4th language call "Internet English". That includes all the "gotta's" "wanna's" ur (your), c (see), u (you). Get with the program, dude! (Also, lighten up, and get a sense of humor! :D )

:o

Yet another one slaps into the wicket-keeper's gloves... :D

Yet another one slaps into the wicket-keeper's gloves... :D

Uh "wicket?" That's the outdated term for a ticket counter, right? And is the attendant's hands cold? Is that why she has gloves? Or, are you telling me that I hit a home run? :o