MAKRO MUKDAHAN No service in English

ttl

Just inquired about a special order placed 10th march for an item listed on their website.

The order on line was listed as unsuccessful.Later confirmed as OK with delivery 31st march,

so item paid for.

Advised later, delivery now 24April.

Tried to find what had happened,by phone to-day.,

Of course the answer received was a long discourse in Thai,suggesting several numbers to push.

No use to me so Just waited and was eventually a Thai voice respondoned,to whom i requested an English speaking person.After some music,I offered an order number and item number.Music again,so i tried with answerer no2, more music,3rd answer, same again more music ,4th answer same again .more music,5th answer same again more music. Impossible so i hung up.

OK there are considerable English speaking customers who deal there.

The ideal would be for these companies to have at least one staff member competent in English to deal withcustomers and give a reasonable service.Must be in the TO HARD BIN

Makro are not alone with this problem,Try Bangkok Bank,Global House,Robinsons,Home One,Nissan,

TOT,Electric company,Thai Police

Mukdahan is way behind the 8 ball with communication,and will be left behind in the dust without some action.

Did you attempt to converse in Thai with your hosts ?

It often helps in situations such as this.

I often wonder why poorly educated rural folk should be able to speak fluent English to expat westerners when earning a pittance and having the education of a 12 year old.

How long do you live in Thailand and particular in Isan?

Sure, English speaking staff would be nice.

But you know what Thai people with good (fit for telephone) English knowledge do?

They go to Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket/Chiang Mai and get a better paid job than at a provincial cash&carry.

Fit for telephone: I estimate my written English as "OK" but doing phone calls in English is still an extra challenge.

And beware there is no fast talking Texan on the line biggrin.png

Mukdahan is way behind the 8 ball with communication,and will be left behind in the dust without some action.

Thailand is way behind better developed neighbors about English knowledge.

"Some action" promised since decades.

Have a look at a rural school and you will know when it will happen.

Not during my lifetime.

"Good morning teacher".

I understand your feeling. We cater to foreigners in Kalasin with our car service center and car wash.

We get good reviews from the foreigners who visit us.

However, maybe for Makro, etc it's not worth the investment to hire someone with English qualifications.

They need to get paid at least the amount of what they would earn in Bangkok so it's not worth it for them.

They might have people speaking Lao at Makro Mukdahan though. Seeing that many people from Laos are visiting that Makro.

Speaking of HomePro. I've wondered who their target market is? The Ubon store's PA always has the prerecorded ads playing and always in only English. Do know the guy back in power tools has a good command of English.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a question. If that happenend in Europe / australia/ S these shops will help or have service in Thai / Vietnamese or else in their language. I doubt ,Just learn a bit Thai it's easy

Just a question. If that happenend in Europe / australia/ S these shops will help or have service in Thai / Vietnamese or else in their language. I doubt ,Just learn a bit Thai it's easy

Thai or Vietnam not come to Europe as long stay tourist or on penssion and not spend more money even than

the average workers .

Its happened.

Not costumers follow needs sellers.

;)

Look in Chiang mai. Many change in few yaer. Many write chines lang

In Pattay often can look russian lang.

And etc..

And its happened not only in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the Makro in Muk earlier this week. I had a question & went to the main office counter (not customer service by the front door) and asked if anybody spoke English.

In Thai that's put pasa anggit, mai?

In a very short time a nice lady came out who spoke some English & then a young man, who I suppose was an assistant manager, came out & he spoke better English. Problem solved. He even took my groceries out to the truck & helped me load.

I don't speak Thai but I know how to speak the words & phrases that get me through a normal day in Issan. I also have a Thai dictionary on my phone which really helps. And if that doesn't solve the problem, I call up my friend & have her translate. This takes care of 99.9% of the issues. If all else fails, I bring her with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thai or Vietnam not come to Europe as long stay tourist or on penssion and not spend more money even than

the average workers .

Its happened.

Not costumers follow needs sellers.

wink.png

Look in Chiang mai. Many change in few yaer. Many write chines lang

In Pattay often can look russian lang.

And etc..

And its happened not only in Thailand.

Excuse me, disagree with your justification. I am sure that in Berlin, London, New York, Sydney and other middle-sized cities in Europe or America are more Thai or Vietnamese Spreaker living there than English speakers in Mukdahan. All speak of the foreigners they are to be integrated in our home countries and even have to learn our language. You all the same people are here foreigners and expect that everyone here have to speak English (a foreign language). Who off you have ever tried to learn seriously something as the language of your host country, ?

Archived