New ID policy at post office - to send "materials"

tropo

I don't know if it has been mentioned already somewhere else, but if you send "materials" by post now you need to present ID or passport. According to a notice, it's a Narcotics Control Division requirement.

I got shot down for saying this on a thread, but its true passport is need to send registered parcels, unregistered nothing need, so doubt its about drugs, more to do with stuff going astray I heard

I has been mentioned in some reports (maybe weeks ago) and some threads/posts.

It was in the English newspapers sometime ago.

One really angry rant thread just one or two days ago.

The OP was very angry that neither his Thai DL nor any photocopies were accepted whistling.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

I got shot down for saying this on a thread, but its true passport is need to send registered parcels, unregistered nothing need, so doubt its about drugs, more to do with stuff going astray I heard

I was posting EMS, and it IS about narcotics. There's a notice on the counter stating that it's a requirement of the Narcotics Control Division.

I has been mentioned in some reports (maybe weeks ago) and some threads/posts.

It was in the English newspapers sometime ago.

One really angry rant thread just one or two days ago.

The OP was very angry that neither his Thai DL nor any photocopies were accepted whistling.gif

They accepted my laminated copy of passport. This was at the main Pattaya Post Office.

I was posting EMS, and it IS about narcotics. There's a notice on the counter stating that it's a requirement of the Narcotics Control Division.

Ok I am not doubting you then, but its ok send them unregistered, Thai logic lol , main office just before Songkran, she wanted no ID unregistered, but said required for registered, so i sent the latter and it arrived ok in UK

Lucky you tongue.png

And it could also be that it wasn't luck and they accept them (laminated copies). Perhaps it varies from post office to post office. Hopefully we'll get a clearer picture after more people contribute with their personal experiences at post offices here.

Ok I am not doubting you then, but its ok send them unregistered, Thai logic lol , main office just before Songkran, she wanted no ID unregistered, but said required for registered, so i sent the latter and it arrived ok in UK

I sent EMS to Phuket. I didn't think EMS (Express Mail Service) is registered post, but the notice doesn't make any distinction about the type of post, only that without ID that mail services will be refused.

It makes sense that if it's a narcotics control division requirement that it would count for all mail services. It certainly does increase waiting time.

Edited by tropo

There's a notice on the counter stating that it's a requirement of the Narcotics Control Division.

Drugs will from now on be sent by identified dealers only blink.png

Better don't think what could happen.

Seal your packages carefully.

Edited by KhunBENQ

There's a notice on the counter stating that it's a requirement of the Narcotics Control Division.

Drugs will from now on be sent by identified dealers only blink.png

Better don't think what could happen.

Seal your packages carefully.

Agreed! It won't help much and slows down services at post office. If you send vitamins or legal drugs by mail it could cause a hiccup too.

they brought in a rule about a year ago that you have to show ID for packages over 1kg because of drugs or weapons or some such, was your package over 1kg?

About 100 grams including envelope.

There's another thread running on this lately here...

And, at least at my Post Office in BKK, they're demanding the ORIGINAL passport for non-Thais to mail out anything -- letter, envelope, box, whatever.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/829936-parcel-senders-are-required-to-show-id-cards-or-passports/?p=10651260

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/829936-parcel-senders-are-required-to-show-id-cards-or-passports/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK