Birmingham, UK Thai Consulate CLOSED!

Visited the Thai Consulate in Birmingham, UK this morning to discover, as from last week it is now CLOSED!

A lady at the reception of the office block gave me a letter explaining that the Thai Consulate as passed away and therefore the Consulate can no longer stay open!?

I checked the web site yesterday and I was unable to open the page (just thought there was a problem with the web page).

Dialled the number and a recorded message saying...number no longer in use!?

Googled for more information, but nothing on the Internet.

Please make people aware so they can make other arrangements for obtaining Visas!

Can anyone clarify the situation?

• Like 2

And this is about what: cost cutting, consolidation, we don't like you any more?

None of those for an honorary Thai consulate, They are not funded by the Thai government.

It seems as written in the OP the Honorary Consul has died.

And this is about what: cost cutting, consolidation, we don't like you any more?

None of those for an honorary Thai consulate, They are not funded by the Thai government.

Help me understand where the word Honorary appears or is "as written":

"Visited the Thai Consulate in Birmingham, UK this morning to discover, as from last week it is now CLOSED!

A lady at the reception of the office block gave me a letter explaining that the Thai Consulate as passed away and therefore the Consulate can no longer stay open!?

I checked the web site yesterday and I was unable to open the page (just thought there was a problem with the web page).

Please make people aware so they can make other arrangements for obtaining Visas!

Can anyone clarify the situation?"

Edited by chiang mai

Your sarcastic comment is misplaced !

What do you find so difficult to understand about the Hon Consul (sadly) dying ?

No sarcasm intended, I simply want to better understand why the Embassy closed, after all, if the UK Bangkok Embassy closed just because the Consul passed away and wasn't replaced, that would be surprising.

DO YOU GET IT NOW!

The Bangkok British Embassy is not run by an Hon Consul who is not a Government employee !

The Thai Consulate in Birmingham is NOT an Embassy ..........

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

There is no mention the deceased is an Honorary Consulate, do any of you understand what you're really talking about:

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consulate

"Visited the Thai Consulate in Birmingham, UK this morning to discover, as from last week it is now CLOSED!

The OP failed to mention that it was a Honorary Thai Consulate.

From acquired knowledge I am aware that it was a Honorary Thai Consulate like all the other consulates in the UK. There are not all that many official Thai consulates in the world.

You can look here and will find that there are no consulates listed for the UK on this website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/

The OP failed to mention that it was a Honorary Thai Consulate.

From acquired knowledge I am aware that it was a Honorary Thai Consulate like all the other consulates in the UK. There are not all that many official Thai consulates in the world.

You can look here and will find that there are no consulates listed for the UK on this website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/

You don't say!

The consulate in Birmingham (search on the web) was an honourary consulate with a head of mission that was an honourary consul.

And it's now CLOSED,like this thread should be.

Many people used the Birmingham consulate, this is going to cause a lot of issues for a lot of people.

There should be a sticky topic / announcement at the top of the forum or something, 100's of people are going to turn up there every week for months to come and they're going to be in the shit when they realise it's closed.

• Like 1

He seems to be confused between a Honorary Consulate and an Embassy.

And you seem confused about what you've read, try again.

You are being so pedantic.... I agree the word 'Honorary' was missed out, but all the rest of us understood from the context that it was an Honorary Consul whose death caused the Consulate to close down. Admit it and move on with life. .

• Like 1

He seems to be confused between a Honorary Consulate and an Embassy.

And you seem confused about what you've read, try again.

You are being so pedantic.... I agree the word 'Honorary' was missed out, but all the rest of us understood from the context that it was an Honorary Consul whose death caused the Consulate to close down. Admit it and move on with life. .

Your mind reading skills and ability to read between lines is to be admired, as is that of others here who knew immediately all the words the OP had omitted (innocently) and/or foresaw "it was as written", those of us with lesser skills are humbled and in awe.

Out!

• Like 1

The consulate in Birmingham (search on the web) was an honourary consulate with a head of mission that was an honourary consul.

And it's now CLOSED,like this thread should be.

Many people used the Birmingham consulate, this is going to cause a lot of issues for a lot of people.

There should be a sticky topic / announcement at the top of the forum or something, 100's of people are going to turn up there every week for months to come and they're going to be in the shit when they realise it's closed.

I don't think so. I think that most people, before travelling to a consulate or mailing in an application will visit the consulate web site first to check for latest document update or requirement information, and thus find it closed.

I thought it was quite clear that all applications for Visas from the UK etc now should be made to the Royal Thai Embassy in London; not Hull or anywhere else. The Thai Embassy website makes this totally clear. People interested in or sorry for Honorary Consuls for whose demise, condolences, should read some Graham Greene!

I thought it was quite clear that all applications for Visas from the UK etc now should be made to the Royal Thai Embassy in London; not Hull or anywhere else. The Thai Embassy website makes this totally clear. People interested in or sorry for Honorary Consuls for whose demise, condolences, should read some Graham Greene!

Nonsense.

The UK Thai Hon. consulates are (with the exception of B'ham) open for business and will issue visas.

What is true is that postal applications can only be sent to the Embassy.

Well ....... whatever. Sad to hear of the consuls death. He was a nice guy and the Birmingham consulate was always a friendly option to the London embassy. The place was user friendly and very efficient.

I feel sorry for those who now have to use the Thai embassy. Pedantic and nit picking I have often ( but not always ) been on the receiving end of rude service from them. Often got the impression that they wouldn't give you the time of day if they could avoid it. I decided long ago not to bother with them and it has not been a decision I regret.

RIP for the consul. Ive used the Birmingham Thai embassy for over 25 years. Great service. Do i now use the "Thai embassy" , and if so , where is it. Has anyone had better service posting the paperwork down to London.

The $64,000 question, I think, is whether the closure is permanent, or whether a new honorary consul will be appointed (by the London Embassy, presumably?) and the consulate then re-opened.

And it should not be forgotten that the consulate's closure will also prove inconvenient for any Thai nationals living in the West Midlands, who will presumably now have to hop on a Virgin or London Midland train to Euston whenever they need consular services.sad.png

Edited by OJAS