Volunteers needed to establish Phuket suicide hotline

snoop1130

Volunteers needed to establish Phuket suicide hotline
Kongleaphy Keam

post-249866-0-57257900-1461670959_thumb.

PHUKET: -- After a rash of tourists dying of allegedly self-inflicted injuries, Dr Surin Bamrungphol, Phuket’s anti-corruption champion, is calling for volunteers to help establish a suicide hotline.

“We see frequent newspaper reports of alleged suicides in Phuket, which is very disturbing,” Dr Surin said. “People are driven to take their own lives for many reasons – they could be stressed about money, career, family, romantic issues and so on.”

Last month, an Estonian national shot himself in the head at the Patong Hill Shooting Range. Police later discovered that Andres Podra, 38, was under financial strain from a failed business venture.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Volunteers-needed-establish-Phuket-suicide-hotline/63767?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-26

I wish the Doctor well, but sadly I don't like his chances. I attempted to raise the interest for this serious problem with Rotary in Patong three or four years ago. My plea fell on deaf ears even amongst some foreign retired professional medical professionals but for good reason. The problem of helping people in desperate need of support is tenfold. e.g.

How do you get a HELP telephone line started, funded, managed 24/7 and with medically trained helpers?

Where would on-going support facilities be located and with funding if needed?

The awareness of a HELP line also requires support from the hotels including HELP line 'notices' that can be put in either rooms, lobbies, or hotel room pamphlets. And who would fund that effort?

And last but certainly not least, Volunteers in Thailand require Work Permits these days and need to reapply every 90 days for an extension. This is a relatively recent requirement by Thai Immigration and would easily put off aspiring volunteers who would not want to give up their Long Term visa extensions.

They should make it a national hotline, so the only farang in a remote village can contact someone to talk to. Often a conversation can help desperate people.

Edited by balo

They should make it a national hotline, so the only farang in a remote village can contact someone to talk to. Often a conversation can help desperate people.

The Thai in the village is not allowed to call?

How do you get a HELP telephone line started, funded, managed 24/7 and with medically trained helpers?

Where would on-going support facilities be located and with funding if needed?

That would not be a problem.

The real problem, in my views, it would be how do the heck you restore faith in somebody desperate, with the so many things being forbidden to foreigners here??? The working restrictions are an absolute nightmare which is not simply creating these sort of problems, but keeping the entire country backward!

Then the absurdity of having to pay money as if you were a "for-profit" entity and the very short term permits to stay...........no way Jose'!

Maybe in a couple millions years they will finally understand, good luck with evolution.

I agree there should be a National hotline, but a short term fix for Phuket may be utilizing existing infrastructure, such as the TPV's.

The Thai in the village is not allowed to call?

The Phuket hotline is meant to be for tourists and expats I believe , not Thais.

I am pretty sure they have their own local hotline, if not it's about time.

I believe they should ask for Psychologist to volunteer their professional services and not just anyone who want to "do good" in their sparetime. Psychological matters is a to serious profession to deal with for most people.

I believe they should ask for Psychologist to volunteer their professional services and not just anyone who want to "do good" in their sparetime. Psychological matters is a to serious profession to deal with for most people.

That would be in the perfect world. However, in a time of crisis, these people are not thinking rationally, and can not see other options.

You do not have to be a trained psychologist to get these people talking about their problems, and then discuss with them that options are available to them, other than suicide.

Of course, they can seek professional help at a later stage, but at crisis point, when they have a rope in one hand, and a phone in the other, if they decide to call the number, then anyone with some life experience, and willing to give of their time, could be in a position to save a life.

In this day and age of VOIP, why is there a need to have a local hotline, unless those manning the hotline intend to actually visit the caller in person? You could have a call-centre located anywhere in the world, with fully-trained staff dealing with calls from any/every country.

However, based on my own experience of speaking with call-centre operators located in heaven-knows-where-istan, I'd probably be driven to suicide by the experience coffee1.gif

That would be in the perfect world. However, in a time of crisis, these people are not thinking rationally, and can not see other options.

You do not have to be a trained psychologist to get these people talking about their problems, and then discuss with them that options are available to them, other than suicide.

Of course, they can seek professional help at a later stage, but at crisis point, when they have a rope in one hand, and a phone in the other, if they decide to call the number, then anyone with some life experience, and willing to give of their time, could be in a position to save a life.

"Maeee NamKang ! You very no understand, i think you yen yen toomut".....

If you think about it, that's just what the very highly trained professionals must have thought, when during the Tsunami in PukeT, they wanted to arrest all the non professional people which were helping others, they should go and pay for their work permit first!!!!

Also, whenever you see somebody having any sort of trouble or difficulties in life, just pretend you haven't seen anything for the same very reason, you are not a professional, not your problem....easy.

If you think about it, that's just what the very highly trained professionals must have thought, when during the Tsunami in PukeT, they wanted to arrest all the non professional people which were helping others, they should go and pay for their work permit first!!!!

Also, whenever you see somebody having any sort of trouble or difficulties in life, just pretend you haven't seen anything for the same very reason, you are not a professional, not your problem....easy.

Of course you are right, its impossible for the same people who ask for "hot line" volunteers to ask hospitals /clinics for trained psychologists to volunteer their services.

The Samaritons

Yeha, great choice Johnatong, i think in LOS they could possibly open a branch called "The SatangRightOn", i contacted them years back, to highlight the "farang's " problems here in Thailand, they didn't blink an eye lid, then someone wonders why with a single Googgle's search, you can get so many answers.....https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&newwindow=1&q=9+out+of+10+charities+scam&oq=9+out+of+10+charities+scam&gs_l=serp.3...5050.6326.0.6846.3.3.0.0.0.0.135.306.2j1.3.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..0.0.0.TIuIWjgJMmg

Obviously, anyone volunteering would reconsider if a work permit was required.

I believe the TPV's do not require a work permit (don't ask me why) so, maybe it's possible that anyone willing to accept a phone call from a distressed person, may also not be required to obtain a work permit.

In this day and age of VOIP, why is there a need to have a local hotline, unless those manning the hotline intend to actually visit the caller in person? You could have a call-centre located anywhere in the world, with fully-trained staff dealing with calls from any/every country.

However, based on my own experience of speaking with call-centre operators located in heaven-knows-where-istan, I'd probably be driven to suicide by the experience coffee1.gif

All the volunteers submit their phone number. When someone rings the hotline, all the numbers ring. The first to answer takes the call, then the rest of the phones stop ringing. The common name for this is called "line hunting."

Obviously, two of the first pieces of information that should be solicited is name and location, but in a discrete way, particularly if the caller is irate. These details can then be passed onto other agencies, if appropriate.

Such a system is not difficult or expensive to set up, and does not require a call center.

Of course, some callers may simply be depressed and need someone to talk to, before considering suicide as an option. Such people may just need some of the volunteer's time, and wish to remain anonymous, although that may be difficult with sim registration and caller ID.

Perhaps a company could get on board with some corporate sponsorship.

Edited by NamKangMan

I believe the TPV's do not require a work permit (don't ask me why) so, maybe it's possible that anyone willing to accept a phone call from a distressed person, may also not be required to obtain a work permit.

As far as I know these TPV and Immigration Volunteers do require a WP but the authorities just turn a blind eye. I've never heard a plausible explanation about this. I once knew a TVP quite well and he didnot want to explain why he had no WP.

Simon would be the resident expert on this ?

As far as I know these TPV and Immigration Volunteers do require a WP but the authorities just turn a blind eye. I've never heard a plausible explanation about this. I once knew a TVP quite well and he didnot want to explain why he had no WP.

Simon would be the resident expert on this ?

I wouldn't consider volunteering without it being fully legal.

From memory, Simon has previously posted that he does not have a work permit. Perhaps he could post as to why it's not required.

Following on from Simon's post, and my reply, an idea may be to have a hotline number for each language / country. Eg. UK 08xxxxxxxx France 08xxxxxxxxx USA 08xxxxxxx etc etc.

All the numbers can be on a business card sitting in the bars, reception of hotels, and in the rooms.

When a citizen of a particular country rings their country's number, the call goes to their Foreign Office Embassy / consulate) who then redirects the call to the caller's home country suicide hotline. (most developed nations have them) The Foreign Office pays for the redirection, because it's one of their citizens using their tax payers service. They can also make the number free to call for the caller.

A trained professional in the caller's home country may not fully understand the way things happen in Thailand, but the basics are still the same. Eg. relationship break down, financial stress etc.

No cost to the Thai Government, nothing lost in language translation, professional service providers available, no work permits needed.

Edited by NamKangMan

From memory, Simon has previously posted that he does not have a work permit. Perhaps he could post as to why it's not required.

<snip>

I well remember post 2004 Tsunami many foreign volunteers turned up to help. Officials told them all need WPs. There was a huge public outcry and eventually the Phuket Governor worked out some sort of 'temporary amnesty' for these volunteers.

It was a huge public issue at the time. As for the TVPs etc - they provide a public service with no pay and I have no problem that they don't have WP. This should be extended to all unpaid/uncompensated public service work.

Edited by LivinginKata

<snip>

I well remember post 2004 Tsunami many foreign volunteers turned up to help. Officials told them all need WPs. There was a huge public outcry and eventually the Phuket Governor worked out some sort of 'temporary amnesty' for these volunteers.

It was a huge public issue at the time. As for the TVPs etc - they provide a public service with no pay and I have no problem that they don't have WP. This should be extended to all unpaid/uncompensated public service work.

I have no problem with the TPV's not having a work permit. As you say, they offer a public service, for no pay.

You would think common sense would prevail for this suicide hotline, but, TIT, so who knows.

The idea I put forward in the previous post negates the need for work permits, but would require various Foreign Offices to get on board.

Edited by NamKangMan