What are the obsticles?

Hiyaall

Say I wanted to find some small quiet corner of Thailand and rent some land, construct a very small minimalist dwelling, and start a small farm for personal use only. I have my own passive income from the states and I would spend about 8 months out of the year there living a minimalist life style except when I want to travel. Is this possible? I don't want to own the land just use it. What are the obstacles with visas and finding a place I could accomplish this?

Edited by Hiyaall

For the visa I would say it will be the same border runs and stuffs. As for the land and minimalist dwelling, farming land are insanely cheap to rent(non contract drafting) at maybe 1000 baht a year but the problem is obtaining electricity from PEA. This will required land owner help. Since it is just a verbal rental contract, make sure you build something really cheap on it.

Your age could be a factor, if over 50 then perhaps consider a retirement visa... that would save border runs..

Water availability would be critical. As for finding land to rent, that could vary in price depending on where you are in Thailand.... finding a good understanding landlord, could also be a little difficult.... You may need a good Thai / English speaker to get across to a landlord as to what you want to do.

Perhaps sharing the crops would help too?

How much land? 1 rai...10 rai.....? What are you wanting to spend? How many years will you spend there; you will need a multi year lease. What is your idea of Minimalist?(there are some prefabs for around 150K). Which months do you plan on being there? How close do you need to be to a large town?

Minimalist would mean to me... Just food, water, a bamboo bungalow. I don't need electricity. I would have a few solar panels for the very few electronics I would have, and I have a small thermo electric set up for bad weather. Water would indeed be critical. I would need it for farming and I would have my own small filtration and disinfectant system. I would want to be several hours away from basic supplies and maybe four from any major towns, but of course all that is situational. I would continue there until I felt I was too old to go it alone. I'm young 37, planning to maybe start in 3 years or so. I have a home in the states that I would rent out, it will be paid off totally in a few years, and I have other sources of income, but saving or spending money isn't the point . I have been studying minimalism for a while and I'd like to spend some time practicing it until I get my fill. I would do just fine on 5-10 rai 10 might be to much. It just depends a lot on soil and terrain.

Would I have to do a boarder run every month? What's a good area to investigate north by Chiang rai, isaan area, or the south. Being close to the ocean would be nice. Fishing would be a great addition. What about along the Pai river. I would want something out of the flood zone of course.

Edited by Hiyaall

For the owner of the land to get a Tabian Baan there has to be water, electricity and !! a toilet + preferably a "room". He can rent the land without these but then you don't have the "utilities" which you clearly need. And you need a residence certificate, let alone the other visas and extensions.

Guess you need to try and say:where: how much land: and can you find a landowner?? Nice idea though!

For the owner of the land to get a Tabian Baan there has to be water, electricity and !! a toilet + preferably a "room". He can rent the land without these but then you don't have the "utilities" which you clearly need. And you need a residence certificate, let alone the other visas and extensions.

Guess you need to try and say:where: how much land: and can you find a landowner?? Nice idea though!

How do they put a toilet in remote Thailand. A composting toilet is used in many other areas. A resident certificae? Are these obtained by paying for them? On what grounds will they issue or Deni them. I will be writting a book about the experience, and I'm already published. I'm even considering a documentary, though I want to give it a few years first. Is there some sort of research visa possibly? Edited by Hiyaall

Minimalist would mean to me... Just food, water, a bamboo bungalow. I don't need electricity. I would have a few solar panels for the very few electronics I would have, and I have a small thermo electric set up for bad weather. Water would indeed be critical. I would need it for farming and I would have my own small filtration and disinfectant system. I would want to be several hours away from basic supplies and maybe four from any major towns, but of course all that is situational. I would continue there until I felt I was too old to go it alone. I'm young 37, planning to maybe start in 3 years or so. I have a home in the states that I would rent out, it will be paid off totally in a few years, and I have other sources of income, but saving or spending money isn't the point . I have been studying minimalism for a while and I'd like to spend some time practicing it until I get my fill. I would do just fine on 5-10 rai 10 might be to much. It just depends a lot on soil and terrain.

Would I have to do a boarder run every month? What's a good area to investigate north by Chiang rai, isaan area, or the south. Being close to the ocean would be nice. Fishing would be a great addition. What about along the Pai river. I would want something out of the flood zone of course.

I am not a Visa expert, but you might want to look into the Elite program, where I think you put up 500,000 baht which is I think good for five years...(do not quote me!)....

Ask the question here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/ UdonJoe, will probably be more help on that!

As for area, you have better growing conditions for crops in the north i think, it's a lot cooler for some crops that need that... Pai river area can be prone to floods...(actually any area close to riverside... no matter what part of Thailand really!)

That's not to say certain crops cannot be grown in southern warmer areas. They can grow darn fast... and be eaten by insects darn fast too!

Finding a place close to the sea, would need a lot of research, both for fresh water and tides etc... Thai's in remoter coastal areas probably less chance of speaking English...and perhaps not as far from "civilization" as you might like! (Thinking of the east coast road from Surat thani to Songkhla. )

Perhaps over the next three years visit several areas at different times of the year if you can and research options.

I am not a Visa expert, but you might want to look into the Elite program, where I think you put up 500,000 baht which is I think good for five years...(do not quote me!)....

Ask the question here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/ UdonJoe, will probably be more help on that!

As for area, you have better growing conditions for crops in the north i think, it's a lot cooler for some crops that need that... Pai river area can be prone to floods...(actually any area close to riverside... no matter what part of Thailand really!)

That's not to say certain crops cannot be grown in southern warmer areas. They can grow darn fast... and be eaten by insects darn fast too!

Finding a place close to the sea, would need a lot of research, both for fresh water and tides etc... Thai's in remoter coastal areas probably less chance of speaking English...and perhaps not as far from "civilization" as you might like! (Thinking of the east coast road from Surat thani to Songkhla. )

Perhaps over the next three years visit several areas at different times of the year if you can and research options.

Yes I was just there for about a month. I was very impressed with some of the areas around pai. It was very nice along some of those back roads and there is the air port there if I want to take off for Chiang Mai or come home for a bit.

500,000 what's that about $14-$15K? About $250 per month... Plus whatever rent I end up paying. That's not that bad. A hell of a lot less than living here. I will check into that. Thanks.

Edited by Hiyaall

Yes I was just there for about a month. I was very impressed with some of the areas around pai. It was very nice along some of those back roads and there is the air port there if I want to take off for Chiang Mai or come home for a bit.

500,000 what's that about $14-$15K? About $250 per month... Plus whatever rent I end up paying. That's not that bad. A hell of a lot less than living here. I will check into that. Thanks.

Like I suggested ask in the vias forum, to check on that...

Obviously building and set up costs, living costs extra!

You'll probably need someone to keep an eye on the place while you are away! Most Thai's are honest, but like anywhere, not all people are!

Like I suggested ask in the vias forum, to check on that...

Obviously building and set up costs, living costs extra!

You'll probably need someone to keep an eye on the place while you are away! Most Thai's are honest, but like anywhere, not all people are!

My house should fetch about $1600 per month. Rentals are in high demand. It will be paid off then. The point of minimalism is to not have very many living expenses. Save the money for travel and doing things rather than haveing things and bills. I'm not rich, by rich standards, but money isn't really an issue in this. Im only in white board phase at the moment. I'm looking at other places too, but you can't beat the cost of living in Thaialnd with the relative openness to forigners. I enjoyed pai, and I was in Chiang rai for New Years. It was nice. It felt peacful around Pai in the north. I rode a mountain bike for miles and the country side was beautiful and peacful. I trained at Bee's kickboxing school and exsplored. I could see myself in a little bamboo hut growing all kinds of things for myself with plenty of time to write and never be stressed. When I want company go into town and hang out, when I want to go home.... Go home and visits family. When I want to get rowdy Chiang Mai or Bangkock. Why should I waste the rest of my life fighting this sick rat race here in the states. I don't need anything but a chicken tractor, sunshine, water, and a garden. Everything else is just for fun. I can't wait. Just planning it makes me even more motivated. Edited by Hiyaall

• 3 months later...

Here just a few points coming to mind when reading the posts. They are gathered from my personal experience while moving to a new plot with zero utilities (just got a minimal power supply after 2 years)

- power: the only issue was the fridge but you can go for the gas model (absorption type); PV for the rest would be ok

- water: for personal consumption, large concrete jars (1,200 L each, around 1,200 THB also) allow for stocking water collected during the rainy season; even after 1 year, my water is crystal clear; a few off-season showers allow for refill if necessary; they are not ugly and can be moved if necessary (water for farming is another issue)

- all year round hot water from a basic PE pipe running in the sunshine below the tank level (spontaneous water circulation, no pump required)

- bamboo hut: I would just worry about the pest (and there's plenty; I killed about 6 scorpions in the last 10 days alone, among others); I would recommend to have that in mind when designing the hut (like arranging water barrier around each pillars); consider also having the bamboo treated with borax instead of the common insecticides used here (the former is harmless for you and makes the bamboo unattractive to pest)

I wish you good luck with your project

Here just a few points coming to mind when reading the posts. They are gathered from my personal experience while moving to a new plot with zero utilities (just got a minimal power supply after 2 years)

- power: the only issue was the fridge but you can go for the gas model (absorption type); PV for the rest would be ok

- water: for personal consumption, large concrete jars (1,200 L each, around 1,200 THB also) allow for stocking water collected during the rainy season; even after 1 year, my water is crystal clear; a few off-season showers allow for refill if necessary; they are not ugly and can be moved if necessary (water for farming is another issue)

- all year round hot water from a basic PE pipe running in the sunshine below the tank level (spontaneous water circulation, no pump required)

- bamboo hut: I would just worry about the pest (and there's plenty; I killed about 6 scorpions in the last 10 days alone, among others); I would recommend to have that in mind when designing the hut (like arranging water barrier around each pillars); consider also having the bamboo treated with borax instead of the common insecticides used here (the former is harmless for you and makes the bamboo unattractive to pest)

I wish you good luck with your project