Thai Cabinet approves new section of dual-track railway

webfact

Cabinet approves new section of dual-track railway

rw.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 April 2016 (NNT) – The construction of the Prachuap Khiri Khan-Chumphon segment of the dual-track railway project has received the Cabinet’s consent while concession bidding is expected during May to August.

Following the Cabinet meeting, Minister of Transport Arkhom Termpittayapaisith made known that the green light was granted to the ministry’s double-track railway project on the section between Prachuap Khiri Khan and Chumphon provinces.

Deputy Governor of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Kamol Tungkitjareonchai explained that the draft terms of reference (TOR) contract for the new section will be unveiled on the SRT’s website in order to gather feedback for 5-7 days.

Unless anyone rejects the draft, the SRT will begin to accept bids around late May. The bidding will be conducted in the form of e-auction. The winning bidder and the final price of the project are likely to be concluded in early August.

The Prachuap Khiri Khan-Chumphon section stretches 167 kilometers and is part of the second phase of the dual-track railway project. Three more sections are expected to be considered by the Cabinet within a week or two; they consist of Map Kabao-Chira Junction, Lop Buri-Pak Nam Pho and Nakhon Pathom-Hua Hin.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-27 footer_n.gif

I hope that is an old photo, showing timber rail sleepers. I thought only concrete was used now, as termites have trouble eating that.

That looks like a section of track running parallel with the River Kwai in Kanchanaburi. The line between the famous bridge and Sai Yok station. Note the narrow gauge track within the standard gauge track.

So it is already dual track! Way to go Cabinet!

I hope that is an old photo, showing timber rail sleepers. I thought only concrete was used now, as termites have trouble eating that.

That looks like a section of track running parallel with the River Kwai in Kanchanaburi. The line between the famous bridge and Sai Yok station. Note the narrow gauge track within the standard gauge track.

So it is already dual track! Way to go Cabinet!

I think you are right , Kanch. to Namtok , Pity it doesn't go further than Namtok , all the way to Myanmar would be a good tourist run.