Not the kind of airport baggage handler you want - Vietnamese thief nabbed

webfact

Not the kind of airport baggage handler you want - Vietnamese thief nabbed

v.jpg
Image: Voice TV

BANGKOK:-- A Vietnamese thief has been arrested after he was caught stealing another passenger's carry on bag at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Tran Nho Tien, 60, was caught near Khao San Road Monday five days after airport officials and police saw him acting suspiciously at the wrong belt at the airport, reports Voice TV.

Tien had come in on Vietjet Air on Wednesday last week. After a Lufthansa passenger had complained about losing a carry on bag while waiting for their main luggage to arrive officials studied CCTV of the area.

The thief was seen removing the bag containing 40,000 baht value of Euros, two credit cards, a passport and ID card and other items from a trolley and was then spotted again leaving the airport.

He had been at belt 8 but should have been at belt 16 for his own flight.

Police said that if any passengers ever experience such a problem at the airport they can phone airport authorities on 02 132 4000 or airport police on 02 132 4191 for assistance.

Source: VoiceTV

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-27

A Vietnamese nabbed at Khaosarn for stealing a baggage from airport

BANGKOK: -- An elderly Vietnamese was arrested on Khaosarn road on Monday on charge of stealing a passenger’s baggage at Suvarnabhumi international airport last Wednesday.

The suspect, 60-year old Tran Nho Tien, however, denied the charge. But he was kept in police custody pending further questioning.

The theft case was reported to the airport’s security unit by a Thai passenger, Ms Sopita Ngarmpanich, last Wednesday when she arrived at the airport from Frankfurt.

She reportedly said that her baggage which she put on the trolley went missing and believed to be stolen. The baggage contained 1,100 Euro dollars, two credit cards, a wallet, a sunglasses and an ID card, she added.

Airport security officials then checked all the surveillance cameras at and around no 16 baggage carousel which was the pickup point of baggage from the Frankfurt flight. The video footage showed a man, later identified as Tran Nho Tien, hanging around near the carousel despite the fact that it was not the baggage pickup point for his flight from Vietnam.

The footages also caught the suspicious-looking man picked up a baggage from Ms Sopita’s trolley, walked out of the airport terminal to hail a taxi.

Police later traced the suspect to Khaosarn area and obtained an arrest warrant from Samut Prakan provincial court for him. He was nabbed on Monday.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/161168

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-27

Vietnamese Man Accused of Lifting Luggage at BKK
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14616690911461669476l.jpg
Police on Tuesday said this security camera scene shows Tran Nho Tien walking off with a bag that wasn’t his last week at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

BANGKOK — A Vietnamese man was arrested yesterday for allegedly stealing a bag from the luggage carousel at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Tran Nho Tien, 60, was arrested at a hotel on Khaosan Road on Monday and accused of stealing the bag and making off with more than 40,000 baht in cash last week.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1461669091&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-04-27

I'm sorry,but i am a little bit suspect about the 40,000 baht.Did the thief actually admit it was in the case?or was that the owners word's.

Why would someone put 40,000 in a case that is going in the hold.There are too many variables here.40.000 is a believable amount.Also was the

flight international or domestic.if international,is the bag owners country of origin known.Who is the owner.I dont read another party in all this.Who accused him of making

off with the money.maybe this is just me but i dont get this.Perhaps iv'e missed something.Can another TV reader enlighten me please.

I'm sorry,but i am a little bit suspect about the 40,000 baht.Did the thief actually admit it was in the case?or was that the owners word's.

Why would someone put 40,000 in a case that is going in the hold.There are too many variables here.40.000 is a believable amount.Also was the

flight international or domestic.if international,is the bag owners country of origin known.Who is the owner.I dont read another party in all this.Who accused him of making

off with the money.maybe this is just me but i dont get this.Perhaps iv'e missed something.Can another TV reader enlighten me please.

a Lufthansa passenger had complained about losing a carry on bag while waiting for their main luggage to arrive wai.gif

Another numb but that doesn't carry valuables, especially the passport, on their person.

Why are people "numb" because they carry their valuables in THEIR carry on bags?

Don't get it... What else would people carry in their bags?

It was numb of the owners to let their carry ons out of their sight. That was asking for trouble.

Another numb but that doesn't carry valuables, especially the passport, on their person.

If his passport was in his check in luggage how did he leave the country he flew in from? You always check in luggage before getting to Immigration

According to another police matter on another story about an influential person, the court refused to issue an arrest warrant on the basis that the individual was not showing signs of intention to flee from the police (but yet was refusing requests to be interviewed by the police for suspected crimes)....

So why was an arrest warrant readily issued for the "baggage handler" who was similarly not showing signs of fleeing Thailand jurisdiction?

Surely you must clear Immigration before collecting your baggage. So either the flight was domestic or the passenger has another passport, if the checked baggage had money, passports etc in it..

Well done Airport security! clap2.gif

I hope they do study properly the Duty free scams by the shop owners and extract money from innocent passengers. coffee1.gif

Care to substantiate the claim? Many foreigners try to shoplift at Duty Free. They get caught.

Yes there were allegations fo a scam several years ago, but nothing was ever proven, and lo and behold, nothing has ever been claimed since.

Allegations of a scam??? There was documented evidence that passengers were being unfairly accused of shoplifting, threatened by officials, detained without authority, extorted of "fines", the involvement of shadowy figures etc

Anyone who buys goods from duty free is crazy for 2 reasons: first, the prices are inflated beyond belief, second, the history of scams outlined above.

a court order was issued requiring the current duty free operator to quit: 5 years on they are stil there operating to the significant detriment of the tourism sector.

I bet most people have done it. Waiting a long while for your case to come through, you put down your carry on, straining to see if your case is on the belt, or leaving your carry on in the trolley top, easily done , I have, but won't anymore ! Though I must say , my cash and cards , passport are in my jacket inside pocket.

Surely you must clear Immigration before collecting your baggage. So either the flight was domestic or the passenger has another passport, if the checked baggage had money, passports etc in it..

Read the post...it was her carry on bag that was taken while she was waiting for her checked baggage.

It would be quite easy to do...lady gets a trolley....puts her carry on bags on it.

Walks over to get her checked bags...returns...carry on bags gone.

I've actually done a similar thing to my missus in the supermarket. She will put her bag with purse in the shopping cart and wander over to look at something. I'll grab the purse out of her bag and not tell her.

Takes a while...usually at the checkout that she realises her purse is missing.

Lesson learnt...now she takes her bag (with purse) out of the shopping cart when she leaves it to look at something.

Edited by Mudcrab

colinneil, on 27 Apr 2016 - 07:10, said:

How did the thief know that the bag contained so much of value?

Or maybe he just struck lucky.

Well done security for catching the lowlife.

Maybe he got lucky with that 'loaded' bag or possibly some inside help. Good job by security.