Got 3B 100Mbps , possible to fix a server with fast download in US?

THAIPHUKET

I tried download speeds with OOKLA against BKK +/-100 Mbps

Few random tests against hosts on the East Coast US, painfully slow

West Coast Host Swift in Las Vegas around 30 Mbpspost-64651-0-51014100-1461735322_thumb.p

Random Test against a University ( they ought to be up to speed) 30+Mbps

Random test against a few neighboring towns, again painfully slow

Question = How can I fix My ? host for downloading/streaming mainly US sites?

As you've probably guessed, the bottleneck sits at the the international pipes of 3BB, especially for traffic from the US.

Try another ISP. I don't think there's much else you can do on your side.

You may also want to carefully examine the offers from the various Thai ISPs. They might have premium subscriptions that give you higher QoS priority over "ordinary" customers. I can recall that ToT had such so-called "Gold" subscriptions at some time.

Edited by Lannig

What is "painfully slow" in numbers/examples?

What exactly do you expect?

Example site for streaming?

This OOKLA test with the selection from the obsure "night sky" map is a pain in the a...

After fiddling for a while I found this "Rexburg" server and got 6.29 Mbit/s only.

So 30 Mbit/s is a top value to US and I doubt you can get that 24/7.

True has a pre-configured OOKLA tests for some 5 locations.

http://speedtest.trueinternet.co.th/

If I do the USA test I get 9.56 Mbit/s down.

Not a big surprise.

I do frequent test with ICSI NetAlyzer (US westcoast) and get rates from single digit MBit/s to more than 20 (which the test does not detail).

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ (requires Java to run).

6 Mbit/s, 9 Mbit/s and more: all good for streaming high video quality (if steady).

So please give practical examples/applications to compare.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3BB has been painfully slow and "dropping off" (no internet connection) at regular times in central BKK in recent weeks. If you inform them its only an opportunity to try and sell a so called "faster premium service" for 1200 baht. Typical tactics. I really hope AIS fibre new service will be available soon. Amazing its not in the centre of the capital. But then again TIT!

If you inform them its only an opportunity to try and sell a so called "faster premium service" for 1200 baht.

After reading the enthusiastic thread about upgrading to 100 Mbit/s for all I had a suspicion what it means...

Pure marketing with nice numbers without any upgrade of the backbone or let alone international bandwidth.

It's an easy task to un-throttle the fiber optic lines to 100 Mbit/s.

Drawing in many new customers, overselling to the max.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3BB has been painfully slow and "dropping off" (no internet connection) at regular times in central BKK in recent weeks. If you inform them its only an opportunity to try and sell a so called "faster premium service" for 1200 baht. Typical tactics. I really hope AIS fibre new service will be available soon. Amazing its not in the centre of the capital. But then again TIT!

Funny you say that, I have 3BB and of late it has been slightly faster

Having a "last mile" fiber optics connection so to speak...like a 100Mb plan... is all well and good, but if the ISP's national and international backbone and gateways under-perform a person's super-duper blazing fast last mile portion will be handicapped.

Having a "last mile" fiber optics connection so to speak...like a 100Mb plan... is all well and good, but if the ISP's national and international backbone and gateways under-perform a person's super-duper blazing fast last mile portion will be handicapped.

Live in Surin and have had 3BB Fibre 100/10 @ 1200 Baht/month for the past couple of months. It usually exceeds the 100/10 Mbps for in country speed tests. International connections are slower but generally quite adequate. Just tested my connection with Washington, USA, and got 35/10 Mbps @ 02.30 (middle of the night). Quite happy with the service too.

Edited by Nomad97

What are we complaining about exactly? If you are getting 30MB to the US, way more than you actually need to stream even a 1080p video, indeed enough for a Netflix 4K stream, so what's to fix?

Oh, don't bother with such technical "bits and bobs" cheesy.gif

Some may want to watch more than six HD videos in parallel.

Big family, big screen.

Edited by KhunBENQ

ThaiPuket -- your figure makes me think you did a speed test over a VPN from one of the VPN's servers on the East Coast to Idaho. That figure does not appear to be a speed test from anywhere in Thailand to Idaho.

If that is true, what do you get on a direct speed test to, say, Seattle or any major city on the west coast without the VPN?

ThaiPuket -- your figure makes me think you did a speed test over a VPN from one of the VPN's servers on the East Coast to Idaho. That figure does not appear to be a speed test from anywhere in Thailand to Idaho.

If that is true, what do you get on a direct speed test to, say, Seattle or any major city on the west coast without the VPN?

That's what he did. He has another thread being concerned that some one in the States is possibly using his email account but turns out he was using a VPN service add-on all the time but didn't really understand it. Yeap, VPN can make you appear like you are somewhere else and it also affects speedtests.