Can I lay down the fridge to transport it?

giddyup

I want to buy another fridge to replace the small on I have, and promised the old one to the missus' niece. I have a pickup but it has a top cover that won't allow the fridge to stand upright. Can I lay it down on it's front/back/or side to transport it safely?

Never mind, a Google search gave me all the answers.

Edited by giddyup

Probably, but you'll need to let it stand overnight when it gets to the destination before powering it up.

No warranty is implied or inferred from the above, if it stops working it's not my responsibility.

OR

Take the bed cover off for the trip :)

Be much better to pay/borrow another vehicle and keep it standing - the issue is oil bath in compressor - on a new unit probably just waiting a few hours after transport would get the oil back but in a used unit the oil may be thick and not drain back and never work again.

I can raise the top of the fridge several inches when transporting it, and with that and letting it stand overnight before plugging it in should make it as safe as possible.

I did that, and it rattled forever after when it ran. Not good.

Had a shop once selling mainly second hand fridges, transported thousands on their sides if they were too tall to fit in my van, upon delivery the customer always expected you to plug it in so they could see it was working, never had even one that did not work just fine. The only problem that can arise by transporting on the side is any accumalated debri in the filter spilling out, it is designed to stop rubbish reaching the compressor. Should any spill out it goes straight back in upon startup.

Just be sure your search engine search applies to the specific manufacturer and model. Your answers may be in the operator manual that comes with the fridge. Ask, the retailer what he does.

Who is the manufacturer, call a dealer and ask them

To be sure

It's a Sanyo and the manual says it can be moved if the top is 45 degrees higher than the base.

First you ask if it can be laid om its side--- then you say the manual says OK if its 45 degrees---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

To be sure

It's a Sanyo and the manual says it can be moved if the top is 45 degrees higher than the base.

The real question that needs to be answered is,

Is it too heavy for you little fella?

Considering the mattress dilemma you went through and all that.

;)

Open the back of the truck, and then close the hatch cover - this leaves a small ledge on which you can tie your fridge totally upright.

OK for relatively short distances, but I wouldn't want to go from one end of the country to the other like that

To be sure

First you ask if it can be laid om its side--- then you say the manual says OK if its 45 degrees---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Read my question again instead of trying to be a smart arse. I asked if it could be laid on it's front/back/or side.

To be sure

Read my question again instead of trying to be a smart arse. I asked if it could be laid on it's front/back/or side.

If the manual says 45 degrees without any further specification, then the front/back/side should be irrelevant.

To be sure

Well there is your answer.

No need to post on here and have all the barstool experts giving stupid advice

To be sure

Well there is your answer.

No need to post on here and have all the barstool experts giving stupid advice

It's all moot. The person who I have donated the fridge to has arranged for a pickup without a cover to transport it to their place. Upright.

So I can't reply to your question why post it here if you know the answer already?blink.png

He's a insecure chap, he needs reassurance.

His wife is the one that needs to rotate his mattress because he doesn't have the strength to lift it.

Comprehension isn't his strong suit.

He thought the technicians at Sanyo wrote stuff in the manual about this, but wasn't sure if they knew what they were on about.

He's lonely and devoid of other human company due to the fact he presents with wobbly little legs and inverted biceps.

He knows he always gets a variety of conflicting answers on Thai Visa and pick and choose which answer he likes.

When It all goes pear shaped. He can come online and blame his online advisories.

......the answers to your question sir are endless.